Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Places to visit in Diyathalawa  (Read 4891 times)
Priyanjan
« on: September 30, 2009, 04:17:46 AM »

Hello Dinesh & All,

This is in response to the query made by Dinesh (diga83) else where in this Forum. I thought it was better to jot down what ever I know about Diyathalawa as a separate post.

I can only think of the following places. Plese refer to the GE map shown below.

Fox Hill
You can visit the area just for a walk through the pine trees and may be to climb up to the ‘Fox’ it self. If you do reach the top of the (Fox) hill you will be treated to a 360 view of the Uva Basin. There are two entrances to this area and the main entrance which is from the ‘Halangoda Lake’ side is controlled by the Army and the other is through the Airforce camp. Visitors are usually not allowed in to this area as this area is used for military training. The best way to get in is to be accompanied by someone you know and works for the Army or the Airforce. If you do go, try to make it either quite early in the morning or evening. On a clear day, mid day will be rather hot and unpleasant. I must also warn you that there is always the possibility of coming across unexploded explosives that may be in various forms (example: unexploded hand grenade/s, mortar bombs,…., …). If you do come across such ‘things’ please do not touch, kick or handle them.  Also, if and when you walk around please stay on the roads/paths.

Boer War Cemetery
Long time ago POWs from the Boer War were brought to and ‘held’ at Diyathalawa. In fact the premises where the Survey Departments Institute of Surveying and Mapping (ISM) is presently located had been the POW camp. The tin sheeted (‘takaran’) buildings that still stand with in the compound of the ISM are the same buildings that had housed the POW’s more than 100 years ago. Now, adjoining the ISM is the cemetery where the POW’s (who died; obviously) had been buried and is called the Boer War Cemetery.  Anyway, there is nothing much to see unless you have some special interest. The approach to this cemetery is a road that branches off to the left about 300m passing the entrance to the ISM on the Diyathalawa – Bandarawela road.

Halangoda Lake
This is a man made lake and has been named after (late) Brigadier (I think) Halangoda who had been instrumental in creating this small lake. The story is that this place had originally been a marsh/bog where the people in the area used to carry out gemming illegally. It had resulted in a number of deaths and had also been a hindrance to the conduct of military training. Hence, a bund had been constructed blocking the natural flow of water thus creating the lake. An evening stroll along the road by the lake would be really nice. There is also a small ‘Children’s Park’ (managed by the Army) on the banks of the lake (It’s closer to the entrance to the Polo Grounds). But, I am sure they will not object to children using it. If you do know somebody in the Army or Airforce (especially if stationed in Diyathalawa) you should be able to get him/her to organize a boat ride on this lake. On a clear day (no rain) a boat ride in the evening will be a very nice thing to do.

Polo Grounds
This is a large open space where the game of polo had been played at the time Diyathalawa had been an R&R (military acronym for Rest & Recuperation or Rest & Recreation) station for the British military forces. However, this area is now part of the Army’s Military Academy and you and I are not allowed in unless accompanied by somebody from the Army.

Galkanda Vantage Point
This is a place from where you could have a birds eye view of the Uva Basin and the Diyathalawa town in particular. Getting there is not too difficult. The track to the vantage point starts from a point on Haputale - Diyathalawa. I have driven a vehicle (car) with difficulty almost up to the vantage point but that was some time ago and I do not know the if it’s possible to do so now. Also, I know that the local authority has now constructed some sort of a garbage re-cycling plant almost at the start of this track. Hence, it might be a little difficult on the nose to get past it. Of-course, if you are walking then you can always avoid this facility.

Walk Along Haputale - Diyathalawa Road
Then you can also do a cool walk along part of the Haputale – Diyathalawa road. The part I have marked (on the map) has huge eucalyptus and pine trees on either side of the road. It’s nice to walk along this part of the road in the mornings and evenings.

If you wish to have the KMZ file please let me know. It's free  Grin.

Enjoy your stay in Diyathalawa.

Priyanjan
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 09:11:18 AM by lakdasun » Logged
Priyanjan
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 07:01:05 AM »

Helli All,

Here is the KMZ file - Diyathalawa

Best Regards,

Priyanjan.

* Diyatalawa.kmz (5.47 KB - downloaded 134 times.)
Prasadi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 05:05:32 AM »

Please let me have the kmz file
Priyanjan
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 08:14:24 AM »

Hello Prasadi,

I have attached a 'new' kmz file with this post. It gives the same information as the file attached to the previous post but in the new one the positions of the 'sites' have been corrected.

Best Regards,

Priyanjan

* Diyatalawa.kmz (8.01 KB - downloaded 67 times.)
Prasadi

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 09:33:35 AM »

Hello Prasadi,

I have attached a 'new' kmz file with this post. It gives the same information as the file attached to the previous post but in the new one the positions of the 'sites' have been corrected.

Best Regards,

Priyanjan

Dear Priyanjan

Thanks a lot for the info. I really appreciate it yet. Do you know place to stay in Diyatalawa. My husband and I are traveling with our little daughter.
Priyanjan
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 08:12:41 PM »

Hello Prasadi,

"Accommodation" is something I always like to skip when it comes to 'recommending'. Also, Diyatalawa being not too far from home I have never 'looked for' good accommodation options in the area. Anyway, this is what I can suggest.

Diyatalawa - The SL Army, SL Airforce and the SL Navy have lots of nice holiday homes in Diyatalawa. But you will need someone serving in the respective Force to get these holiday homes reserved.

Haputale - 'Adisham' offers rooms that are supposed to be very well kept. I have not walked into these rooms but, think they must be kept well especially as the place is a monastery. Anyway, I have also seen many holiday homes / guest houses in the Haputale area. Some of the places have been reviewed here in the Forum.

Bandarawela
- Although there are lots and lots of accommodation options in Bandarawela the place that I would recommend to others is the 'National Holiday Resort'. I have not stayed there.... only seen it. Should suit a family. Please check their website for details.

Hope this will help.

Best Regards,

Priyanjan.
Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists

Tags: Bandarawela | Diyathlawa | 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: