Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: LIST OF ENDEMIC FLORA  (Read 7533 times)
Farr

View Profile
« on: August 09, 2009, 02:27:03 AM »

Though I have visted this site almost 3 to 4 times a week  was lazy to get registered for the reason I do not like to write much.  So let me get to the point.  Since 1996 I have been a frequent visitor to Sinharaja. Few months back I was able to purchase a plot of land close to Sinharaja. It was earlier planted with tea and later uprooted. Land extent is 2 1/2 acres.  Only few trees are left 12 Milla trees , 1 Ketakala Tree, 1 Jack Tree.  I have a Gammalu plant at home  which I intend to plant in the plot.  I have no interest to cultivate the land with any commercial crop.  I would like to plant this plot of land with those endemic to Sri Lanka and especially Sinharaja. I read in one article which said there are 306 identified flora and another which said there are 220. I am not a botanist and have very little knowledge about trees.  I have contacted the National Herberium and waiting for a reply. I will appreciate if someone can post the list of endemic flora  with their scientific names and local names. At last i have posted a long message. Wink
Bushana
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 08:49:03 AM »

Hi Farr
Based on 14 volumes of 'Flora of Ceylon' (Excluding index and two Fern volums) and Checklist of the flowering plants of Sri Lanka of Senarathna there are 4143 flowering plant species recorded from Sri Lanka. Out of them 1025 species are endemic to Sri Lanka which is nearly 25%. So It is not 306 nor 220 but four times bigger number than that. Also don't forget that these figures are only about flowering plants and when it come to ferns and fern allies we have another 58 endemic species out of 351 recorded species of Sri Lanka. You can have total list of endemic flowering plants of Sri Lanka and their distribution from a publication of Biodiversity secretariat of the Ministry of Enviroment & Natural resources name ' Endemic Flowering Plants of Sri Lanka' which I think is available at their sales outlet at Battaramulla (82, Rajamalwaththa road Battaramulla). I think you can undestand that posting above lengthly list here is not practical though we are not lazy as you  Grin...just kidding Wink
Btw appriciate your intention of cultivating that land in buffer zone of Sinharaja with endemic plants of Sri Lanka rather than any commercial crop. Also I think it would be better to cultivate endemic plants grows in sinharaja forest rather than any endemic plant of country because otherwise it might become another disaster for a fragile eco system like Sinharaja. However I don't have total list of endemic plants of Sinharaja but can direct you to another book which was published by IUCN, in it you can find list of common plant species found in Sinharaja including endemics. That is 'Guide to Sinharaja: A biodiversity hotspot of the world' by Channa Bambaradeniya, Sarath Ekanayake and Shalini Amarasinghe as far as I am aware it is still available at Vijitha Yapa book shops and ofcourse at IUCN head office.
/Bushana

Explore the rich and unique biodiversity of the Sri Lanka - Visit http://biodiversityofsrilanka.blogspot.com
Danushka

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 08:40:06 PM »

Hi farr,
  I think you are looking for a place to get endemic plants rather than finding names of those plants. I think Sinharaja conservation center has a nursery which they are growing plants from Sinharaja area. (Kanneliya conservation center has a one)

regards
Danushka

Danushka Senadheera - Inspiring Moments
http://www.danushkasenadheera.zenfolio.com

Colors of Sri Lanka -  Discover the enchanted paradise
http://www.colorsofsrilanka.com
nadika
Global Moderator

http://chaya.lk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 05:25:51 AM »

Hi Farr
You can have total list of endemic flowering plants of Sri Lanka and their distribution from a publication of Biodiversity secretariat of the Ministry of Enviroment & Natural resources name ' Endemic Flowering Plants of Sri Lanka' which I think is available at their sales outlet at Battaramulla (82, Rajamalwaththa road Battaramulla).

if you are looking for the list of Endemic Plants of Sri Lanka, Yes I agree with Bushana.

But if you are trying to find a place to buy these plants and if you are planning to go to a Forest department nursery, please be careful because Forest department have invasive and exotic plants such as mahogany, teak and eucalyptus in there nurseries.

Nadika
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 05:34:05 AM by nadika » Logged

++++++  Chaya Image library  ++++++      http://chaya.lk
Farr

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 10:21:50 PM »

Thank you Bushana, Danushka and Nadika for your valuble advise. Will get hold of those publications. Yes it has to be plants endemic to Sinharaja, definitely no foreign plants. The available land extent may not be sufficient to plant them all. What do you think about starting with threatened species?  Bit lost here.

The youth in the area  are willing to support .  They have offered free labour and also to find plants from their village. With lot of support all around I see it becoming a reality.  As Danushka advised will buy plants from the Conservation Centres.

Looking forward to advise from you guys in future. Will keep you posted of developments.  Bushana without doubt you are not lazy as I am. Wink Thanks for the long post.

Thanks a lot for the support guys
Rahula
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 02:26:45 AM »

Dear Farr,
its indeed a noble intention. but be careful, getting plant list and finding plant is one thing. growing it in the land is something different. keep in mind these plant become endemic to wet zone because of its specialized requirement. so unless you are able to provide those conditions your project may end up in frustration. so better be cautious when you selecting plants.

since you havent provide any information related to your land plot other than land extent i am unable to be a better help. if you provide us some information about where this is located, elevation and proximity to water, direct distance to sinharaja forest reserve, i hope we can give you better advice.
regards
rahula
Farr

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 11:34:57 AM »

Dear Rahula
The plot of land is in West Batuwangala. I am not sure of the exact elevation. But I guess it is at least 200ft higher than Neluwa Town. Water is available within about 75m on two sides of the land. The direct distance is less than 1km I think, but there are narrow stretches of about 400m wide protruding out from the Sinharaja not more than 500m from the plot of land.  There are remains of two dwellings within the land constructed by the previous owner. So I believe access to water is not a problem.

The reason to get a list was because the friends from the village of Kosmulla requested me to do so. I have very close relationship with the village for over a decade as I have been visiting the area frequently to conduct some Experiential Learning Programs.  So I am blessed with having a lot of volunteer support from the village youth.  Planning to employ a village youth on part time basis initially and once I have a structured action plan to employ him full time to implement it.

I have read some of your previous posts and believe you must have expert knowledge about the subject. You advise is highly appreciated.

Looking forward to hear from you

Farr
nadika
Global Moderator

http://chaya.lk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 12:48:06 PM »

since you havent provide any information related to your land plot other than land extent i am unable to be a better help. if you provide us some information about where this is located, elevation and proximity to water, direct distance to sinharaja forest reserve, i hope we can give you better advice.

I agree with rahula Ayiya, .... but now after Farr's last post we have some idea about the Land

and another thing rahula ayiya, if Farr's land doesn't have much big trees to provide canopy cover for small plants, isn't it better to first plant some fast growing trees like GEDUMBA (Trema orientalis) and KANDA (Macaranga peltata) or (Macaranga indica) for canopy cover.

Nadika
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 12:51:49 PM by nadika » Logged

++++++  Chaya Image library  ++++++      http://chaya.lk
Rahula
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 05:46:01 AM »

Dear Farr,
ok now i know where it is if it is located west batuwangala that means its in the middle of tea plantations, and only east side you have some link to Sinharaja. and you get more than average rainfall in that area. you better follow nadika's advice. and keep in mind most of these rainforest species need good shade when they are in seedling stage. plant Kenda and gedumba which you can find in any disturb site in that area systematically. and have some planting plan for kitul too. though you are now not interested in making money out of your land if the need arises and if you want to support some people you are so fond of you may be able to support there living while archiving your objective too.

and keep good record of whats happening on the land. remove all invasive species. reforestation is not easy or fast exercise. you need lot of patience and care.

if you need more help do not hesitate to put a post.

regards
rahula
Nayana

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 08:00:04 PM »

Hi Farr.
 I appreciate your conservation Work and we really need this kind of restoration woks to strengthen the forest boundaries.
Forest RESTORATION- is really exciting and interesting. This is kind of a research and just try to keep records. There a guide book that I recommend to read to get an idea "RESEARCH FOR RESTORING TROPICAL FOREST ECOSYSTEMS A PRACTICAL GUIDE" and "HOW to PLANT a FOREST" You can download the pdf http://forru.org/FORRUEng_Website/Pages/engpublications.htm
Enjoy, Smiley
Nayana
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 08:02:20 PM by nayana » Logged

The online guide to Butterflies of Sri Lanka
http://srilankabutterflies.net/
Farr

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 04:31:22 PM »

Hi Folks
Thanks Nayana for the valuable advise.  Pardon me for the late Acknowledgement.  I have started to demarcate the property by planting Dothalu (Loxococcus rupicola)  I am compelled demarcate the land on 3 sides to stop further encrochment by my Tea growing neighbours.  Will keep you posted of developments. Thanks for the encouragement and support.

Farr
yakko49

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2011, 09:34:15 AM »

Hi Farr
It is a long time since anyone wrote on this thread. I hope you have had success with the planting you started in 2009.
I also have some land in the Ratnapura district at the western (wet) end close to the kalu ganga and I have started growing some native species of trees. I should have done it many years ago but better late than never they say. I got most of the plants from the forest dept nursery but I also got some from village gardens and friends. I hope you still visit this forum so we can compare planting lists and share experiences and advice and maybe plants.
chamee kumara

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 08:23:02 PM »

Dear Friends

can any body tell me a place to purchase full series of FLORA OF CEYLON ? .hope all together its 15 now.. I have few volumes downloaded from net Vo 1-6 and another very few from bookshops ...

thanks a lot  Smiley

chamee
Tissa Herat

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 04:26:17 AM »

Dear Friends

can any body tell me a place to purchase full series of FLORA OF CEYLON ? .hope all together its 15 now.. I have few volumes downloaded from net Vo 1-6 and another very few from bookshops ...

thanks a lot  Smiley

chamee

I have the 14 vols., for sale.  Please give me an offer so that I could consider
Tissa E-mail: tissaherat@yahoo.com
Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists

Tags: Trees | 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: