Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists
July 24, 2017, 01:38:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Lakdasun forum has changed its face! Spend few minutes to get yourself familiar with the new look.

Home   Forum Home   Help Search Tags Login Register Email Admin  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: knuckels trip  (Read 3045 times)
lakshaman

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2009, 10:17:25 PM »

Dear All,
We are plan to visit knuckels on next month end and we need some suggestions from you. We three famillies with 2 children around 12 and 16 years and all together 12 persons.Normally we are waterfall lovers and we plan to visit Sera ella, Duvili Ella,and Bambarakiri ella. I heard there is a another water fall called Bambarun gahana Ella and small worlds end. Can we visit all these in a day.I think all these water falls are in Reverston area. Because of that we are plan to stay at Forest department Circuit at Reverston, Illukkumbura.

Some of us wanted to visit Meemure and Corbets gap area  also. If we use a Hiace van and Hundai Tucson (Single wheel) can we just visit meemure and corbets gap during our return journey to colombo. which one is the ideal place to stay, Reverston or Deanston.We are plan to stay 2 nights and 3 days for the trip. our plan is like this, First day we are plan to start early in the morning and lunch at Deanston or Reverston . Then in the evening we can visit some places. And next full day we can visit other areas. and Third morning at least can we visit Corbets gap and meemure by vehicles and same evening return to colombo .
We need a good plan to visit. Because of the children we cannot stay at camp sites.
mithila
Global Moderator

@ N: 06 47.85 | E: 079 53.38

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 10:41:20 PM »

Hello Lakshman,

IF you like waterfalls visit reverstan. The Corbet's gap area does not have many waterfalls even though there are plenty of streams there. Also I don't think that visitng both Reverstan and Deanston (corbet's gap) in a three day trip is a good idea. It is possible but will be too tiring. Its better to focus on Reverstan and later plan a separate trip to Denaston.

Assuming that you plan to stay at Illukkumbura let me suggest the below plan

Day 1: Reach Illukkumbura via Kanday/Matale. On you way at reverstan you can climb the reverstan peak. Its a 1.2 KM easy walk along a well paved raod leading up to the telecom transmission station.

Passing reverstan, on you way to Illukkumbura you can visit mini-world's end. Plan to be there around 3.00p.m. If the weather is clear, you will be able to see the beauty of Pitawal plains in evening light. Miniworld's end trail is also an easy walk of 1.5KM

Reach Illukkumbura forest camp for night

Day 2: Visit Sera-Ella (its about 10km drive from Illukkumbura) will take half a day. The in the afternoon you can visit Rathninda Ella and Wedda-Peni Ella. To reach them you have to drive towards Reverstan from Illukkumbura and then take the route to Pitawala, Rathninda. The road goes passing Rathninda Village where Rathninda falls is located and Wedda-Peni ella is located at the boarder of Rathninda and Etanwala(the last village on this side of Knuckles). You will have to talk the last bit (about 500m) to reach the waterfall.

This will prettey much take all of you day 2.

I haven't visited bambarakiri Ella but I think it is close to Illukkumbura so you can do that on day three. Also make sure that you spend some time cooling off in the Thelgamu - Oya which boarders the forest dormitory  Smiley

Dhuwili Ella is some what unreachable unless you are ready for a hard hike up to a fair height of Knuckles. It will take a full day and will be quite difficult. You have to walk from the etanwala village, through the mountains on the foot path to Kalupahana to reach Dhuwili Ella.

This trail guide will give you an idea of the routes that cover Rathninda, Wedda-Peni Ella and Dhuwili Ella - http://www.lakdasun.com/trails/maningala-nature-trail-from-etanwala-to-illukkumbura-knuckles-range.htm

I haven't heard of "Bambarun gahana Ella"  Sad

Oh.. I forgot .. check this trip report i posted about my visit to this area few months back - Reverstan, Pitawala Pathana, Maningala, Thelgamu-Oya & Sera Ella

Hope this helps

Mithila
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 10:45:25 PM by mithila » Logged

Man did not weave the web of life. He is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web of life, he does to himself. | Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you!
lakshaman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 02:37:07 AM »

Thanks Mithila , For your nice guidence.
 Further I need some details. For visit this Sera Ella and other water falls can we get a guide from the area. Without doing all the water falls, how is the maningala trail and only Sera Ella, for the day 2. Is it worthwhile. If it is o.k, in the morning Sera Ella and evening  Maningala trail or otherwise. For this trail can we get a guide. If we use vehicle to go to Atanwala to start trail  the driver should have return to the forest depatment bungalow because we will climb down to that area. Is that correct.
thanks ,
Lakshaman
Danushka

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 03:04:44 AM »

Hi Lakshman,

I agree with Mithila, you better stick in to Reverstern or Denston. Better if you can select Reverstern since it leads to several waterfalls as Mithila says. About Babarakiri Ella, It is situated on the way to Reverstern tower form Raththota, about 5-6 Kms before getting to Reverstern. There is a fairly big opening on your right hand side while climbing the hill. There is a sign board and a shop at the entrance to pathway. signboard is directed toward up hills so it is slightly difficult to see it when you are moving from Colombo side. If you are planning to return on the same route, I also think it is a good idea to visit it on 3rd day since you are planning to get there early in the morning. Try to be there as early as 6-6.30 Am. You will be able to see a great view of cloud formation beneath you on the way to reverstern tower if it is a clear day without mist.

There are two trials to Sera Ella, one is through a forest and finally climb up river (This is quite a difficult hike with small ones and may be ladies) and in the other one you can go almost close to Sera Ella by vehicle. (Last part of the road was not so good and under contraction when we went there). If you plan to do both Sera ella and Maniggala trials on same day, it's good to pick the second route. (I haven't been on Maniggala Trial so don't know whether you could do both in one day)

There are guide at Illukkumbura forest department bungalow. You just have to tell them where you want to go and they will provide guides for trial. Different trials cost you different amounts for the guide. There is a trial guide in forest department. I'll post it soon if I have a pic of that.

regards
Danushka

Danushka Senadheera - Inspiring Moments
http://dsinspiringmoments.com
mithila
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 04:14:22 AM »

Hi Lakshman,

Maningala Trail is more than half a day hike. Still its well worth in my opinion. So what you can then do is start the Maningala trail on the second day (plant to start little early, say at 8.00a.m). On you way, you can see Wedda-Peni Ella falls as well. After you complete the trail at Illukkumbura you will have enough time left for a nice afternoon bath as well  Smiley. Yes, the vehicles will have to return to Illukkumbura after dropping you at Rathninda close close to the trail head at Etanwala - Rathninda boarder.

Don't rush Sera Ella on the same day. You can comfortably visit Sera Ella and leave Illukkumbura before lunch on the third day. So leave it for the Third day. You can drive all the way up to Sera Ella. The last bit of the road is not in great condition but definitely doable in a van (or something with similar ground clearance).

You can get some one to guide you from the forest department office on all the trails and drives. Check this thread where I have posted contacts of one of the guys who helped us.  - Jayathilaka - Forest Department Guide, Illukkumbura Conservation Center

Man did not weave the web of life. He is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web of life, he does to himself. | Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you!
malakar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 09:19:21 PM »

Hi Mithila,

What are the closest accomodation options available
to Pitawala Pathana ?

Thank you,

Regards,

Malaka
mithila
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 09:22:30 AM »

Hi Malaka,

There are several options in the area. The best would be the forest department facilities. Check this post for details.

There are many other small lodge type places scattered in the area. Again there are few disscussed in the thread A place to stay close to Reverstan, Illukkumbura, Pitawala area. Some of the palaces discussed here were not that great in quality though  Angry Search the forum, you will find some negative comments made about some of them.

Also there were quite a few small places around Illukkumbura and Pitawala/Rathninda area. Unless it is a long week end or something, I'm sure you will be able to find smoe place to spend the night. Quality seems to be a bit of a concern though.

Mithila

Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists

Tags: Knuckles | 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: