Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists
December 14, 2017, 01:04:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Lakdasun forum has changed its face! Spend few minutes to get yourself familiar with the new look.

Home   Forum Home   Help Search Tags Login Register Email Admin  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Dehena Kanda to Sri Pada  (Read 6776 times)
chathuri

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2009, 11:23:05 PM »

I have been to sri Pada ( some ten years back) from Dehena kanda route twice   but  i canít remember exact details on how to reach the starting point , because we used several modes of transportation due to the scarcity of buses including lorries tractors going to local tea factories.  as far as I can remember from Ratnapura one should find a bus to Wewal Watta and from there on wards wait for a lorry or start on foot to Dehena Kanda. ( pls check at the Ratnapura bus station..iím not sure..)

Itís very scenic route through the wild.  We camped at the entrance to the forest and started early morning..by noon we could see Sri pada at a distance there was a small stream on the way, where we spent the night.  Next day we started around 10.00 am , after roughly about 3-4 hours we managed to join the Ratnapura-Eranna  mahagiri Damba. Last part of this climb is quite difficult and has to be done using both hands some times. This connecting point is a little above the ďAwasana Nawathum palaĒ in Ratnapura-Eratna route.

I think this route can be done by one day, but we were doing a bit of exploring so we did  it slowly taking time to look as  bird  or explore a wild orchid on the way.

Next time it was a climbing down at the begging of the season..took about  8 hours. unfortunately we happened to be the first group to do so..and the road was not cleared for the season..we had a very hard time finding our way I the thick bushes. Once we get the bottom needless to say we were exhausted and the Tamil state workers gave us a warm welcome..with tea and rotti.. Iíll never forget their hospitality.

From all other routes , this is the best route to Sri Pada because itís unspoiled and no electricity  till you reach the main route!
 I havenít try Malimboda route..once I went to see Ali-hatha, and  was  told us there is route to Sri-pada used by villagers during season.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 04:55:15 AM by chathuri » Logged
chathuri

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 03:28:26 AM »

A : Yes. But less frequently than Erathna or Ratnapura routes.
B : Yes. During our first visit (In April) road was clear. But no Ambalama on the way.

Note: This was the situation in '96. don't know how it is now.
danesh

My Off road Budy....

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 10:02:50 AM »

Hi chathuri,
                Can you please post few pictures taken while your trip. By the way nice report. well done.
Thanks,

Danesh
chathuri

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 09:43:19 PM »

i must have some pics...need to dig them up and get scanned.....please give me some time..

I did this trail with some members of YZA of Dehiwala Zoo. Each year YSZ members did this trail...no maps..no trail guides..knowledge is passed from generation to generation.

This year junier member will lead the team in another two-three years.

If you happened to be free on Sunday evening, drop into Dehiwala Zoo...
YZA is nice place to get to know people with same interests..to find new travel partners ,
learn more about wild life and nature photography.

charith

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 05:19:31 AM »

Priyanjan,

I have read about this route from a sinhala book called "Muni siripa simbiminne" by S.P.S. Weerasinghe. He has described about 6 routes to Sri pada. Other than the commonly use three, there are another three unpopular routes from,

1.Deraniyagala-udamaliboda
2.Wewelwatta-Dehenakanda
3.Murray state-Rajamale

I went through Maliboda after reading this book only,but unfortunaltely I don't have the book with me now as one of my friend has taken it & not given back. As I can remember Dehenakanda route starts from hapugastenna & will connect to Rathnapura road near "ehela kanuwa- The last ambalama befor maluwa".

If you can please find the book & get more details.....

Charith.
chathuri

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 08:39:06 PM »

good news.
one of my travel bauddies confirmed 'Dehena Kanda" track is in the same condition..no big changes he says..he has done it two years back.
And what's more there are buses to Dehena Kando from Ratnapura bus stand.. and
the road  is  motorable  now  ! no need to travel in lorries.
Hiru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 08:08:50 PM »

Hi Priyanjan

I took this Hapugastenna trail to Sri Pada during off season way back in 2002. Will try to dig my field notes to see the exact details on how to get there. We also started the hike early morning near a village called Mukkuwatta after camping the night there. Also we camped two nights inside the forest (3 days of hiking) before going to the top. Since it was off season the tail is not clear and a good detailed 1:50000 map will definitely help you.

But I can tell you that was one of the best hikes I have gone and its worth taking that trail. You will go through a real virgin forest. Please see the attached map for details. There the trail is visible clearly (only in the map). Please forgive me for the quality of the pictures. We were not that sophisticated those days and we had only a low cost SLR camera and no high tech gadgets like GPS devices. But we were fortunate enough to hikes like that. Now we have all the equipments and everything but no time Sad

According to the villages, this trail is never used during the off season but some local villages used this trail rarely during the season where there is a heavy crowed in normal routes

* Map.jpg (404.27 KB, 1159x850 - viewed 272 times.)
Hiru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 08:13:47 PM »

Some pictures

* Day02_08.jpg (71.78 KB, 700x500 - viewed 56 times.)

* Day02_10.jpg (73.26 KB, 700x500 - viewed 53 times.)

* Day03_07.jpg (56.86 KB, 700x500 - viewed 44 times.)

* Day03_08.jpg (66.15 KB, 700x500 - viewed 50 times.)
Hiru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 08:18:15 PM »

Some more...
We only saw the peak on the fourth day. Till then we were not sure whether we were going along the correct direction...

* Day03_20.jpg (67.79 KB, 700x500 - viewed 57 times.)

* Day04_12.jpg (28.64 KB, 700x500 - viewed 48 times.)
Hiru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 08:21:05 PM »

This is the place which the trail joins the normal Rathnaputa/Erathana route. From there on wards it was only about 15 minutes climb through normal route to reach the "Maluwa"

* Day04_14.jpg (63.88 KB, 700x500 - viewed 60 times.)
digitalisuru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009, 10:53:52 PM »

Hi Hiru.

Awesome work dude. Grin Please let us know where the route begins, how to get to the trail head (by public transport) and other details. Thanks for sharing with us.

Rgds,
Isuru
digitalisuru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009, 11:21:19 PM »

Hi everyone,
I also planed to visit Sri pada off season a while ago but one of my friend said I have to get permission for this because its off season. Anyone knows about such a thing?  If I have to get permission tell me from where should I obtain it? Guys who hiked off season probably know this. Thanks.

Rgds,
Isuru
Hiru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2009, 08:34:40 PM »

We didn't need to get permission about five years back. Not sure about the current situation.
Hiru

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 03:58:25 AM »

Hi Priyanjan,

Thanks a lot for the advice.

We experienced the consequence if it during the same hike, same place Smiley Since we were at a very high place we thought that the water level will not rise significantly, in fact we couldnt find a flat surface to place the tent that day. But the water level rose during the later part of the night even though it did not rain. So we were awake that night after 2o'clock in the morning.

After that experience we never camped close to a water stream.
NG
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 04:38:13 AM »

Priyanjan,

I have read about this route from a sinhala book called "Muni siripa simbiminne" by S.P.S. Weerasinghe. He has described about 6 routes to Sri pada. Other ....,but unfortunaltely I don't have the book with me now as one of my friend has taken it & not given back. ...

If you can please find the book & get more details.....

Charith.

Hello Charith,

Thanks a lot.

I will start to look for the book, tomorrow morning.  Cool.

Thanks again,

Priyanjan.

If you are having trouble finding this book you can call the author up on  Tel: 033 91735, 033 88284

His other book is http://www.lakdasun.com/forum/index.php?topic=794.msg3897#new

I have spoken to him on the above number to get a clarification, he was very helpful.
N

« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 04:42:39 AM by NG » Logged
Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists

Tags: Hapugastenne | Mukkuwatta | SriPada | Adam's Peak | Ratnapura | Dehena kanda | 
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: