Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists
July 22, 2018, 04:51:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Lakdasun forum has changed its face! Spend few minutes to get yourself familiar with the new look.

Home   Forum Home   Help Search Tags Login Register Email Admin  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trail to Sri Pada from Uda Maliboda, Deraniyagala  (Read 5690 times)
charith

View Profile
« on: June 19, 2009, 05:21:15 AM »

Note: This thread is split from the thread Request for Information on Road Conditions

Priyanjan,

There is a foot path starts from Uda Maliboda tea factory to Sri pada via Sri pada Sanctury. But as of my knowledge this road is not the one goes to eli hata. The distance from tea factory to Sri pada is 12 km.  The first 3 kms of the road is motarable but only by 4WD 2 years back. Then you will reach to the Pandeniya village which is bordering to the Sri Pada sanctuary.  You have to cross the Pandeniya reiver & enter into the thick jungle where only a small foot path will leads to Medahinna ambalama on Kuruwita-Erathna-Sri pada road. The diatance from Pandeniya to Medahinna is 5 km, where you will not found any human being & will find "ali beti" also from the elephants living in Sri pada sanctuary. At about 4 km from Pandeniya, there will be a big river which is called by "Seeta gangula" in Udamaliboda - Sri pada road by the Uda Maliboda villagers. There is another 4 km from Medahinna to Sri Pada. Villagers told us no body is using this road during "Off-Sri pada season" & they will clear the road only when season starts.

You can see this foot path in 1:50000 map which starts from Udamaliboda to Medahinna.

Charith
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 10:55:00 PM by lakdasun » Logged
charith

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 11:29:43 PM »

Yes.....I am agree with you...Because we also lost our way as it took more time for us than we thought. We started from Pandeniya at 1 pm & went into the jungle & as the distance was 5 km we all thought we could reach Medahinna by 6 pm at least where the lights are available to the top of Sri pada. But the steep of mountain was vey high , I think magal kanda or heen pidurutalawa...(not sure) So it came dark in the evening & still we were not able to reach to Medahinna. Fortunately we had one torch & two candles with us, so we contined with it until 8 pm & finally reach to a river( which I told as Seeta gangula) & could not find the foot path from the other bank of the river. The two candles were gone & we left only with the torch. Still we searched  at the other side of river bank & could not find the way. Finally we decided to stay the night in a "gal potta" on the middle of the river as we did not had any option.

The most freightening thing was that there were lot of "ali beti " on the foot path we came & any time there was the risk of appearing a wild elephant. We slept at shifts...always 2 were on search for any threat.....finally it was dawn where we washed our faces & ready for the day. We make 2 grups & went to 2 sides of river bank searching for foot path & about 150 m to the up side we found the path leading towards Medahinna. It was 1 km from the place to Medahinna Ambalama where we stayed for 2-3 ours after the tired & exciting journey.....

Here I am attaching some photos of the trip....

Starting place at Udamaliboda tea factory

View of " Seven maidens" from Udamaliboda

Pandeniya ganga

Entranve to jungle..

Inside the forest reserve

Seetha gangula at maliboda road
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 06:26:26 PM by lakdasun » Logged
charith

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 12:39:41 AM »

Priyanjan,

Thanks very much for the advice.

Yes... we started at 8 am from Maliboda & had to walk extra 2 kms from Maliboda to Udamaliboda as there was no public transport was there at that time. Plus it took more time for us to initial 4kms from Udamaliboda to Pandeniya than we expected. We had a bath at Pandeniya river & another one hour wasted. At that time non of was thinking that this remaining 5 kms are that much difficult & thats why we were on to it. Again there was one of fat guy who starts "boiling" during climbing & needs more resting....Thats how we lost our time....

Secondly the path was full of leaches & at that time we could not stay the night in the forest anywhere other than the "Gal potta" which was free from the attakers...Already we had lost some time on this leachers removing them on our way.... We marked the water level with a stick at the place where we sat & kept on monitoring the level frequently....at the same time watching for elephants.... Fortunately the level does not changed until dawn.....

Then why we did some searching was we could see the far away lights of Kuruwita road at some places on the path after getting dark. So there was a very little hope that still the Kuruwita road is near by & we could get there....thats it...

Anyway really appreciate your instructions & this was totally due to our negligence that we took the task easily from the beginning....

Charith

charith

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 11:05:55 PM »

Priyanjan,

I do agree with you. That teach me a lot in my life to plan such type of hikings & we are learning from our mistakes all the time.

Regarding the maps using, actually I have only a soft copy of 1:50,000 maps published by Survey dept & normally I used to go through it before I am planning to go any where in the country. Other than that I do not know anything about map reading. But intersted to learn about it.

Can you guide me in that case & from which point should I start?

Same time have you got any detail on other two un popular routes to Sri pada?

One is from Murray state which is connecting to Hatton road & the other one starts from Dehena kanda which joins to Rathnapura road. I have read about this two routes from one book only,but have not met anybody who has gone on the route.....
sandunrathnayake

I want be a man from many places....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 09:26:36 AM »

After reading the post we got great desire about this route.this is our experience.
http://sandunonblog.blogspot.com/2010/03/blog-post.html
If the post do not display please install sinhala Unicode
http://locallanguages.lk/sinhala_how_to_install_in_english.html
Thanks Charith ayya for the guidelines.......

« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 09:39:02 AM by sandunrathnayake » Logged
Hiru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 09:58:23 PM »

Hi Charith,

Sorry  I haven't seen this post earlier. I have done the Dehena kanda trail to Sri Pada about 8 years back. Please go through the following thread. I'm sure you can collect the relevant information on this trail from this thread
http://www.lakdasun.com/forum/index.php?topic=690.0

Hope I'm not too late...

Regards
Hiruna
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 09:00:49 AM by Hiru » Logged
Ashan253
Global Moderator

"Wild"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 01:53:47 AM »

Hi Sandun
it was nice to meet two other members doing the same trail as us on the same day and experiencing the rain and leeches together. nice blog brother!
Ashan

“"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet
and the wind longs to play with your hair."
Ashan253
Global Moderator

"Wild"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 05:24:31 AM »

Hi Priyanjan
Actually there were four members from lakdasun that day who did the same hike! I will post a report now!
Ashan

“"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet
and the wind longs to play with your hair."
Sheham
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 05:34:40 AM »

Dear Ashan

Actually there were four members from lakdasun

That is interesting Grin Grin Grin

Kind Regards
Sheham
dulip

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 09:07:56 AM »

Hi Charith,

Thanks for the route details, and for the beautiful pictures

D
sandunrathnayake

I want be a man from many places....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 09:43:18 AM »

ah actually I have forgot to insert link to my post.
he he
Its here
 http://sandunonblog.blogspot.com/2010/03/blog-post.html
charith

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 09:48:05 AM »

Hiruna,

Thanks for the link.....You are still not late. I could not make this route up to now. This year also I will not get a chance.

Anyway I feel it is better to go this unpopular routes only during sripada season as most of the routes are cleared by the villagers only during season....

Still we have not got any details about "Rajamale" route.......Welcome any body who has done that route....
CE

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 08:32:12 PM »

Hi Charith,

I found a recent newspaper article which i posted few weeks back. It has most of the information regarding Rajamale trail which  would help you.
http://www.lakdasun.com/forum/index.php?topic=1599.0

regards,
Charith Eranga
lakdasun
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 10:17:46 PM »

This trail is mapped now. The Trail guide with Waypoints can be found at - Deraniyagala, Udamaliboda (Ihala-Maliboda) Trail to Sri Pada (Adam’s Peak)

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children
Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists

Tags: Peak Wilderness | Ihala Maliboda | Deraniyagala | Adam's Peak | SriPada | 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: