Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists
July 24, 2017, 01:38:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Lakdasun forum has changed its face! Spend few minutes to get yourself familiar with the new look.

Home   Forum Home   Help Search Tags Login Register Email Admin  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Reversturn, Pitawala Pathana, Maningala, Thelgamu-Oya & Sera Ella  (Read 13251 times)
mithila
Global Moderator

@ N: 06° 47.85’ | E: 079° 53.38’

View Profile WWW
« on: May 06, 2009, 09:22:55 AM »

It was a good three day trip.  Smiley

We left Colombo early morning and reached Bambaragala (where we stayed) for lunch. The afternoon was spent at Pitawala Pathana. The weather was great!. Pitawala Plain and mini-world's were extremely scenic in the warm evening light. The wind was strong but that improved the whole feel of freedom  Cheesy

The second day was dedicated for the Maningala trail. We started from Rathninda village, walked through Etanwala village crossing Thelgamu Oya, walked along the Rmbuk-Oluwa foot path and then started climbing Maningala. The view from the top of the mountain was excellent. We could see most parts of the Knuckles range including Kalupahana and dhuwili-ella. The climb was not too hard. On the other hand the climb down to Illukkumbura was extremely steep. we were very happy that we started from Etanwala rather than attempting the trail from the other end.  Smiley

The second day was concluded with a long nice bath in Thelgamu Oya.

We left at 6.00 am on the third day and walked up to the Reversturn peak along the SLT relay station service road. It was misty and windy but occasionally we were able to witness the beauty of the mountains with first rays of the day falling on them. After breakfast we started our return journey via Pallegama. We did not forget Sera Ella located further down on Thelgamu-Oya. Its is 11km drive from Illukkumbura junction and you can drive all the way up to the waterfall.

As Dhanushka mentioned, I should attempt to walk along Thelgamu-Oya from Illukkumbura to Sera Ella one day  Smiley

see few pictures below. Detailed Trail Guides etc will appear in Lakdasun soon  Smiley

Pitawal Pathana

Etanwala Village

Thelgamu-Oya

Reverstan (base) @ 6.30 a.m.

Sera Ella Falls

« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 06:32:50 AM by mithila » Logged

Man did not weave the web of life. He is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web of life, he does to himself. | Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you!
Mohammed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 11:51:52 AM »

Wow nice, that last waterfall the Sera Ella especially and the pool beneath looks amazing for a bath. Gotta get there soon.........
HoneyBee
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 12:17:04 PM »

Wow, seems you had a wonderful time...

Reverston is one of my favorite locations around Matale; but haven't explored Seera ella falls... Really waiting for your trail guides; as I'm eying for a similar comprehensive visit over there for my vacations...   Wink

EZZAN | Bee Natural...
anjanag
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 09:06:05 PM »

Beautiful sceneries Mithila Ayya, Smiley
Still I can remember the morning beauty of Etanwala Village. Around 8 years ago we also started our hike from Etanwala village ended near the Theligamu Oya in Ilukkumbura. 
I have no idea about the access path to Duwili ella from that Manigala side, because we have visited that during our Knuckles hike. But most probably there will be a path. There are some huge escarpments & only that will be the difficulty for the hikes in that area.

Regards
Anjana

Would you like to see my new photos posted in Flickr, the best site for photographs?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/anjanagunathilake/
mithila
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 10:20:26 AM »

Anjana,

When you climb Manigala from Etanwala, you start off from Etanwala on the foot path to Rambukoluwa. from this foot path there is a foot path branching off to your right which goes deep in to knuckles through Walpolamulla, Dhuwili-Ella, Kalupahana and from there all the way to Meemure (or Bambarella on the other side). Manigala is on the left hand side of the Etanwala - Rambukoluwa foot path.

Mithila

Man did not weave the web of life. He is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web of life, he does to himself. | Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you!
anjanag
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 08:38:48 PM »

Thanks Mithila Ayya, I can’t remember the paths now, but I can image your map. Yes, in our Knuckles hike the entrance was Bambarella & we visited Duwil Ella via Kalupahana.   Smiley

Regards
Anjana

Would you like to see my new photos posted in Flickr, the best site for photographs?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/anjanagunathilake/
danesh

My Off road Budy....

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 11:51:36 PM »

Hi Mithila,
              Excellent trip report. I am sure you had enjoy a lot. By the way who are those foreigners in first picture ? Are they part of your team ?
Danesh

mithila
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 09:24:48 AM »

Thanks Danesh. The foreigners were just there. They did not travel with us but i couldn't resist the perfect composition and light  Smiley

dannnic

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 07:37:12 AM »

Hay Guys can anyone tell me is it safe to bath in the places in Reverstan, coz my parents went there few months back... and told me that locals told that there is a water fall which is not safe.. they said there have been 18 ppl died there. so anyone who have knw a safety abt the bathing places in REVERSTAN plss put a reply..

Thanx a LOT...

Keep up the GOOD WORK !!
mithila
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 09:13:01 AM »

Hay Guys can anyone tell me is it safe to bath in the places in Reverstan, coz my parents went there few months back... and told me that locals told that there is a water fall which is not safe.. they said there have been 18 ppl died there. so anyone who have knw a safety abt the bathing places in REVERSTAN plss put a reply..

Thelgamu Oya near the bridge, behind the illukkumbura forest office is a safe place to bath during the dry season (The third picture in my first post). When it rains, I will refrain from bathing in any of these streams and river and will avoid bathing in base pools of waterfalls during any season. Why? check this thread -  Why Not To Bathe At Waterfalls & Not Pitch Tents Or Camp Close To Water

supun44

A Land Like No Other

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 09:26:24 AM »

Hello Dannic,
I agree with mithila ayya
Illukumbura Telgamu oya is most popular safe bathing place.
It is a nana mankadak
Distance Pitawala pathana -> Illukumbura nearly 5km
supun44

Respect is not a gift you have to earn it.
Sancharaka

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 10:45:32 PM »

Hi Planning to do the Manigala Trail starting from Laggla. How hard is it for ladies who dont usually trek?

Also, you have mentioned that you could drive up to Sera Ella. How is the road? Is it motorable by car?
KasunDes
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 08:58:12 AM »

As Dhanushka mentioned, I should attempt to walk along Thelgamu-Oya from Illukkumbura to Sera Ella one day  Smiley

Hello Mithila,

I don't think you could do this. The Sera Ella is formed by the "Puwakpitiya Oya" not from the "thelgamuwa Oya" as I was told by the villagers when we stayed there. According to what they told both rivers are flown in to the "Amban Ganga", a branch of the Mahaweli River.

BR,
Kasun
KasunDes
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 09:00:34 AM »

Wow nice, that last waterfall the Sera Ella especially and the pool beneath looks amazing for a bath. Gotta get there soon.........

The base pool looks quite dangerous when you get closer to it. It is very deep and it could be a fatal mistake to go for a swim there.
ignatiusprasad

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 11:19:37 AM »

Hi,
can someone suggest a one day hike (6-8 hrs) from Rambukoluwa?
Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists

Tags: Pitawala | Etanwala | Maningala | Illukkumbura | Reversturn | Knuckles | Ratninda | 
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: