Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists
October 23, 2017, 09:51:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Lakdasun forum has changed its face! Spend few minutes to get yourself familiar with the new look.

Home   Forum Home   Help Search Tags Login Register Email Admin  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: A place to stay close to Reverstan, Illukkumbura, Pitawala area  (Read 19710 times)
mithila
Global Moderator

@ N: 06° 47.85’ | E: 079° 53.38’

View Profile WWW
« on: April 20, 2009, 01:16:46 AM »

I'm planing to visit this area in the long week end, May 1,2,3. The forest department dormitory at Illukkubura is already reserved. Can some one point me to a basic lodge or a hotel in the area?

Thanks a lot in advance

Mithila

« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 01:18:29 AM by mithila » Logged

Man did not weave the web of life. He is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web of life, he does to himself. | Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you!
anjanag
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 02:12:58 AM »

Hi Mithila Ayya,
Great idea..! Hope that area will be fresh & beautiful in this season.  Smiley
According to my knowledge I think there may be no places other that your selected in Ilukkumbura. I think recent visitors will provide good details for you more than me.
Do you like to go Manigala, the flat mountain surface bellow the Pitawala Pathana area, right side from the road (when we are travelling from Rattota)? There is an access road to that place from the Forest Dept Lodge.  Have a good bath in Thelgamu Oya. I love that area very much… !
Have a good journey, waiting to see your photographs.  Smiley

Regards
Anjana

Would you like to see my new photos posted in Flickr, the best site for photographs?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/anjanagunathilake/
weli
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 01:01:26 AM »

Dear Mithila,

We stayed at a place called Senasuma Holiday Resort, in January 2008. It is close to Riverstan and Pitawala pathana.  You can contact them on 077-7809696 or 066-2231378.

Regards,
Weli
mithila
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 09:08:40 AM »

Thanks a lot Weli. I called them and made a reservation  Smiley

Man did not weave the web of life. He is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web of life, he does to himself. | Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you!
Priyanjan
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 05:52:52 AM »

Hello Mithila,

I just read details of a waterfall named Serella Falls and is somewhere in the area you have planned to celebrate May Day  Grin. I have not been to this area. May be you have already seen this waterfall on one of your earlier visits to the area. If not, may be you will have the time to visit it this time. Here are the details I found.

"This magnificent fall is located in the Dumbara Jungle, which is split into two sections, both 10 metres in height. Kiul Canal and the Hunumadala River flow together to form the Puwakpitiya River. This river later joins the Thelwgam River, from where the falls is created. The water of this fall roll down a protruding rock face, which is visible from the Dumbara Jungle. The fall flows all year round and is at its fullest during the monsoon season, which is from November to March. The fall has been named after the species of the fish 'Sera' that inhabit the water. The fall is located in the village of Pothatawela, near Laggala in Matale Districts Laggala PSD. From Matale or Laggala travel to Illukumbura. From this point it is 5km to Puwakpitiya followed by a 3km trek."

If you do go there, I am certain that we too will get to enjoy some lovely photographs.

Best Regards,

Priyanjan.
mithila
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 08:23:51 AM »

Priyanjan,

Sera ella is already in the list. Will report here when I return.  Smiley

Mithila

Danushka

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 12:44:29 AM »

There is a Bungalow up in the Thelgamuwa river belong to Forestry department, I have the contact of the care taker. You can call him and check whether it is booked or not. It's only 4500 per night and 8 ppl can stay there. Quite a nice location. Last time I called him, he said if it doesn't available, he can arrange one of his friends place. Since he is from the area, you probably can even stay in a village house. Smiley

Here is the contact : Wasantha (He is a ranger for the forest department), 0602685752

You also can check on Reverstern Holiday Village, They said they can arrange double rooms for around 2000 LKR, here is the contact 0665684002, 0773172550, 0777392815

cheers
Danushka

Danushka Senadheera - Inspiring Moments
http://dsinspiringmoments.com
Danushka

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 01:03:49 AM »

Yes Mithila and Priyanjan. Seera Ella is a beautiful water fall close to Puwakpitiya in Knuckles region. There are two paths to get there, one is a hick  through forest for about 1-1.5 hrs and climb up the river and climb up the river to get to the water fall. That is the path to enjoy the beauty of nature. (note: there r some tough climbs on the way, but manageable) I have some photographs, but sadly my camera battery went dead so there was not much photos Sad check my FB albums for some of them.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=70235&id=699004921&op=6

Danushka Senadheera - Inspiring Moments
http://dsinspiringmoments.com
mithila
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 10:03:13 AM »

Thanks Dhanushka  Smiley

NG
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 11:18:53 PM »

There is also another waterfall - sorry can not remember, or never knew, the name. The guide at the illukkumbura forest reserve took us there. its a bit of a walk but well worth. You approach it from a foot path that starts beyond ( ie comming from the foresty dorm at illukumbura) teh pitawale thanne and walk steeply down. you can neither hear nor see the fall till very close and then it is on the side of the road. very impressive. Ask the forest dept guides. they should know.

Has any one been to Duvili Elle on the Mani gala side? there is supposed to be a cave behind teh fall that you can camp in???
N

* Pitawana.jpg (231.46 KB, 531x800 - viewed 3 times.)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 12:04:02 AM by NG » Logged
anjanag
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 08:30:56 AM »

Hi NG…..
I was there in year 2001, during our Knuckles hike…! It’s a very nice place, but I have no idea about an entrance to that from Ilukkumbura.  Undecided
Here are few photos of Duwili Ella. It’s a 2 steps waterfall. Yes you are correct we can cross the waterfall through a cave behind the first step of fall. It’s the first time I met this kind of waterfall, but I think there are few in Sri Lanka.

Pitawala Pathana & Manigala from water stream after the Duwili Ella in Knuckles. I think there is another waterfall just below that point. But slope is very huge & access is difficult.

Manigala from Pitawala Pathana.

Regards
Anjana
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 11:16:10 AM by lakdasun » Logged

Would you like to see my new photos posted in Flickr, the best site for photographs?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/anjanagunathilake/
mithila
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 10:51:47 AM »

Thanks NG and Anjana.

Anjana, how far is the Dhuwili Ella from Illukkumbura? How long did it take?

Any way I'm planing to cover Sera Ella and Manigala trails first. I may be able to see the waterfall mentioned by NG as well since it seems to be close to the forest department conservation center.

May in my next visit I will give Dhuwili-Ella a try  Smiley

Thanks again for all the information.

Mithila

NG
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 11:11:38 PM »

Thanks Anjana, very impressive! sorry not to have replied earlier - did not visit the site for a while.
N
nishandj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 02:51:42 AM »

Hello Mithila

Remember one day I gave you a mobile number which belongs to a ranger + accommodation provider  in Illukkumbura (Riverston) and it was not working. Smiley. well he had lost his mobile number  Huh and I found his new one.. Great.. This is his number Wasantha - 0712910492 and sometimes there may be network issues and therefore just try several times...

Darshaka

www.srilankaecocamping.com - Each rupee you spent is not a profit for us, but will help us to help the people who work with us around Pitawala & Atanwala.
mithila
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 03:06:42 AM »

Thanks Darshaka.

Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists

Tags: Reversturn | Illukkumbura | Raththota | Pitawala | Knuckles | 
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: