Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Norton Bridge, Dehiattakandiya, Mahiyanganaya  (Read 1029 times)
NG
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2011, 06:50:51 AM »

Hi,
Need some help.

Due to some complicated reasons we need to get from Colombo to Norton Bridge, then to Dehiattakandiya.

As far as i can work out
Colombo -> Awissawella -> Kithulgala -> Ginigathhena -> Koththellana -> Norton Bridge -->

and then 1)  to Kandy ---> Mahiyangane --> Dehiyattakandiya.
or  2) Nuwara Eliya -- ( road that connects to Rajamawatha) --> Mahiyanganaya --> Dehiyattakandiya

We would stop one night some where between Norton Bridge and Dehiattakandiya.

questions:
Option 1 or 2 is more sensible in terms of finding the way ( i have never done the connection between Nuwara Eliya and Rajamawatha ) and time.
and
where would be a sensible place to stop off for the night. its quite open as long as we get to Dehiattakandiya around 10 am on day 2. We would leave Colombo early on day 1.

Hope the above is clear!! Roll Eyes

help greatly appreciated.

N.

Is this sensible?
Wije

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 09:18:56 AM »

Hi NG,
I have traveled from Kandy to N' Eliya through Raja Mawatha about 10 years back. So I have little memories of this. What I can remember is the road is narrow and steep with lot of bends. Finding the road is not a problem. Road is very much scenic and driving along this route upto Hanguranketha is adventures(From Kandy side). Road from N' Eliya connects  Raja Mawatha well before the Randenigala dam. Once you pass Randenigala dam there is a sharp bend (Almost 180 degrees) to your left which will take you to Mahiyangana through Minipe. This road was not in good shape. Instead, without turning left if you go straight you will meet Badulla/Mahiyangana road and a left turn will take you to Mahiyangana.
I feel it will be quicker  for you to take the route from Ginigathhena -> Nawalapitiya -> Gampola -> Kandy -> Mahiyangana. Now the 18 bends (Actually now it is 17) are in very good shape and it is indeed a pleasure to drive along this road.
As for accommodation I think it is best for you to find a place in Mahiyangana so that you can easily reach Dehiattakandiya. There were some places discussed in this forum at Sora Bora Wewa.
If you are using the Raja Mawatha there are lots of circuit bungalows at Randenigala. CEB, Mahaweli, CECB, Forest are few.
Hope this will help you,
Best Regards,
Wije   
NG
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 08:31:24 PM »

Thanks, Wije,

Seems like the 'normal' option of going through Kandy might be sensible. if so accommodation will not be an issue.

would like to try one of those cross roads, so maybe we'll break it up for two trips or get a few more days in.

Thanks!
N.
Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists

Tags: Norton Bridge |  Dehiyattakandiya |  Mahiyangana | 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: