Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Connections to the Rama - Rawana Legend  (Read 23086 times)
Chamila W

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2009, 12:08:32 PM »

Priyanjan,

There is a small foot path from the end of the Hakgalla Gardens which led to the mountain. You can inquire about this from the staff in the gardens. When we climbed we use the roadside entrance( after few meters, passing the main gate of the gardens) which was very difficult due to thick forest & the steep climbing. Further, you will not find the foot path if you go by this way....

At that time they say it was after 8 yrs people climbed Hakgalla & there was a group of young school  children (around 10 I think) who climbed it at the same time with us, but through the foot path. They were training them selves for Everest Base camp hike. Make sure to take a good rope & where hand gloves if possible. When you reach the summit its very very difficult... we climbed almost the "4x4" way..... (dana gagena  Grin )

Chamila
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 12:13:08 PM by Chamila W » Logged
Priyanjan
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2009, 08:37:43 PM »

Chamila,

Thanks a lot.

Need to get the '4x4' serviced.  Grin.

Priyanjan.
NG
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2009, 03:56:35 AM »

Hi Priyanjan,
Q 1 -  Rahala Gala in Aranayake,  quite well known in the area from what i understand, but the book does not say exactly where if i remember right. There are over 30 sites listed some with more detial than other.
Q2 - hmmm...afraid i have no idea where i bought it..'somewhere' would be the answer...one of the many  'book exhibitions/sales' big and small, where  you can pick up all sorts of books that don't seem to make it to the bookshops. BUT, i have been thinking for a time to go to the authors house / or call and ask him for where its sold, to buy some of the other titles he has listed. IF I do manage to go in the near future I will buy you a copy. When that happens ( Wink I'll get your postal address and send it. hope that is ok.
N
Priyanjan
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2009, 05:35:43 AM »

Hello NG,

Agreed & Thanks a million.

Priyanjan.
NG
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2009, 06:05:42 AM »

I was reading ‘Saparagamu palathe diya eli puda sirith vimarshanaya’ (waterfalls and rituals of Sabaragamuwa) by Kadaroda Sudeera over the holidays and came across some detailed references to the Ravana Legend. It also dates Ravana to 1500 BC. Seems not quite right as he later links Ravana to pre-historic man. Anyway, thought of sharing. Roughly translated – hope it makes sense. Names are a bit difficult in English but my Sinhala typing is very slow!

“The province of Sabaragamuwa has a history that goes beyond the written history of Sri Lanka. Though folklore is not exactly formal history, but it is a good source, and in the case of the region of Sabaragamuwa it provides considerable information on the Ravana period. According to these sources, Ravana ruled this Island around 1500 BC. His kingdom was divided into 7 ‘Giri-rajadhani’ (highlands? Rock Kingdoms?)
1. Mahendragiri  Rajadhaniya – Ruhuna.
2. Chandragiri Rajadhaniya – Saparagamuwa (more details below)
3. Indragiri Rajadhaniya – Kuragala ( Wawe Mithiyawatha) Saparagamuwa ( NG note –  Kuragala Viharaya is near Hemmathagama off Mawanella)
4. Sivagiri Rajadhaniya – Sigiriya
5. Helagiri Rajadhaniya – Devundara
6. Malayagiri Rajadaniya – Hanthane, Kandy
7. Mulgiri Rajadhaniya – Mulkirigala

Chandragiri Kingdom is currently known as Wewalwatte. It is possible to see drawings (Piotograpic Script) at the site that Sita is supposed to have been hidden. Paranavitharane has listed 32 drawings at this site. There are 8 villages around this area which are named after different parts of Ravana’s body. Today these villages are known as:
Kondagala ( hair), Ravuladola ( beard), Nahitiya ( nose), Kotawela – Kotalaewala (mouth), Aswadduma ( eyes), Muhuna Kanda Walle (face and body), Bellengama ( neck), Bambarabotuwa (neck). 

Balangoda Nanda Himi who has studied the work of Prof. Dereniyagala and Wateddara Ganassra Himi feels that those who lived in Ravana’s kingdoms were pre-historic man (Australopi the cine) belonging to  Pithecanthrupide family”.

Most of the information given here is sourced by the author of the book to ‘Historic Ratnapura’, pages 9 to 10.

N.
PS. P - have not forgotten the other book. Not yet got round to getting it.
Priyanjan
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2009, 08:10:29 AM »

Hello NG,

I bought this book you have referred to, a couple of years back BUT did not take the effort to read it all these days.  Grin. Your post has made me think that I should read it soon.

What you have listed  is very interesting. I had a quick glance at the map and was able to locate all the places other than just two places. I am sure that the 'missing' places could also be 'found' with a little time and effort. It is interesting to note that all these places are located along / (actually - close to) the road that connects Balangoda to Rathnapura through Raassagala. Rawanakanda is also not too far from these places. Yeah! It is very interesting.

By the way there are quite a number of 'nice' waterfalls along the road that connects Ballangoda - Raassagala - Rathnapura. But, you need to go during the rainy season to see them. In case you have not seen these waterfalls, here are a few pictures. I must also say that there were other waterfalls that I could not photograph.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/9867478
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/9867492
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/9867542
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/9867503

However, parts of the road was not very good.

Yes, there were places that you would categorize as 'excellent bathing' spots!  Grin.

Thats it for now. Thanks,

Priyanjan.

(I do understand the situ regarding the book. Thanks.)
NG
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2009, 10:36:20 PM »

!!! you just can't finish exploring this country can you! In addition to all the books picked up from 'somewhere' now this site is providing endless ideas for travel!

Priyanjan, I noticed from some of your previous posts too that you seem to use maps quite a lot. I have all the topo-sheets for Sri Lanka (1:50,000) as well as the ...can't remember the scale - 1:250,000? - the map that breaks Sri Lanka upinto 4 units. but it seems most often we just end up using the basic road map and if at all the 4 unit one. The toposheets gets used if i really want to mark a trail out, or to check out where we were after we return. But, I'd really like to use my toposheets more. I wonder if you have any tips on using them? obviously its not possible to use them on the road! but even locating places - like you seem to have done with the list above. Do you first locate them on the big map and then move down? or do you in fact use google earth?!! I was quite amazed recently at how many quite remote areas can be tracked.

Sorry if this post has gone in a different direction from the Ravana story. But it would also be interesting to develop a map on the sites associated with Ravana and we may see a pattern emerge - as you have above.

"It is interesting to note that all these places are located along / (actually - close to) the road that connects Balangoda to Rathnapura through Raassagala. Rawanakanda is also not too far from these places."
Assume you mean the places relating to the Chandragiri Kingdom? Have you visited the site that is supposed to have the pre-historic drawings? 

Thanks in advance!
n
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 10:53:20 PM by NG » Logged
kishAn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2009, 11:39:34 PM »

Hi all,

It's really great to see such a topic on lakdasun. But honestly I think this topic is not suitable to discuss various mythical stories like this as we are not 'Ravana researchers'. I strongly believe that this is far more important than just talking about myths we have heard or to repeat the history which bloody Europeans wrote for us. They screwed up our great history because they have nothing to talk about there history. Specially the historians like 'H.W.Codrinton' and 'H.C.P.Bell' which was followed by so called S.Paranawithana to get the good name and various awards and medals from those whites. If we can take back all the things belong to us those Europeans will have to close all their museums.

Just imagine while our ancestors were flying in aircrafts those white people were wearing leaves and eating raw meet. anyway we can talk like this forever.
What I suggest is that we all as true lovers of our mother land 'Lanka' should stand up for this to reveal the true history and be proudest and the powerful nation once it was. It's not going to be easy as always there will be lot of half bloods who will try stand against it for their own benefits as 'Vibeeshana' did at the time of 'Ravana'. Isn't it funny that some people worship this 'vibeeshana' for betraying this country.

Anyway I must tell something about a post in this topic. It says that the book "Dakunu Siri Pathula Pihiti Makkama saha Ravana Rajuge Sellipi" didn't make it to the bookshops. I think we all should be very responsible when we talk about this topic as this all about the true history of our country. Please be responsible for what you guys talk on this. If we are not sure sure about the real facts we should talk about it because it might mislead some people in the wrong direction. And to add to this I have seen even "the Bible" on the pavement. So lets not judge by the place where we find information but value the information.

We should give our full support to those people who is trying their best to bring out the truth. Author of the earlier mentioned book - Mr.Jayaratna Pathiraarachchi is one great Sri Lankan among few like that. I have this book and I bought it from 'Sarasavi Bookshop' few years ago. It was printed in 2005 and I.S.B.N 995-99248-0-X
I can provide the contact details of the author if anyone wants. It clearly says the directions to the place in Aranayake.

There are lot of books which are based on written history and 'sellipi' so lets not talk about the literal side of this history like in the famous "Ramayana". Even in that it says how powerful and great our 'Ravana' was.

Lets talk about written evidence on this topic and I'm sure it will drive us all into a world of knowledge and information. I'm no expert on this but I have read alot about this. Lets share the knowledge and reveal our true history. I'm always ready to share the knowledge I have on this.

Regards,
kishAn..
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 11:44:07 PM by kishAn » Logged
kishAn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2009, 11:43:07 PM »

Hi NG,

I will be getting a DVD with more than 900 sites relating to Ravana time with all details and a map of these sites done by the tourist department. I saw this DVD but couldn't check it and hoping to get a copy within this week. I will keep you all updated. Lets do something for this country rather than just keep travelling and seeing places.

Regards,
kishAn..
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 11:45:11 PM by kishAn » Logged
Priyanjan
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2009, 07:40:54 PM »

Hello NG,

Well the long reply I posted here has now been vey appropriately 're-located' by the administrator under a new/ different topic and I agree with it. Anyway, I thought that part of the reply needed to be posted here in order to maintain the continuity of the discussion on this topic. Hence, I have posted below the part (the original reply) that is directly relevant to this topic.
I agree with your first comment about the exploring possibilities in Sri Lanka being endless. We are so lucky to be here in this country.  Smiley.

Now, coming to identifying the places that you had listed in your post (Chandragiri Kingdom); you see.... the truth is that the name ‘Wewalwatta’ triggered it all. I did remember this name as I had on an earlier date marked it on my map and had also gone through this area before. (Yes, we got into a little trouble with a 3 km stretch of the road that connects Balangoda to Rathnapura via Raassagala. Grin ) Your post also indicated that the other places (named in your post) were around the Wewalwatta area. So I just looked for the places in the Balangoda area and …. Hey Presto!…. There they were. See…it was easy. There is no magic in it. (This reminds me that I need to look for the ‘missing’ places.)

No, I have not gone to the place where the pre-historic paintings are said to be. Never knew about it all these days. Now, that it’s noted on my map…. I will have to find an excuse to go through Wewalwatta again.  Wink.

This is where the rest of the original reply is;     http://www.lakdasun.com/forum/index.php?topic=563.msg2425#msg2425

Thanks and Happy travelling,

Priyanjan.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 07:55:44 PM by Priyanjan » Logged
Priyanjan
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2009, 11:09:12 PM »

'Ravana Kotte' – The Fortress of Ravana

According to legend, the submerged reef off the Southern Coast, on which the two light houses namely, Little Basses (Kuda Ravana) and Great Basses (Maha Ravana) stand today, is said to be the remnants of the ancient city called the Sri-Lanka-Pura (or was it Lanka Pura?), the stronghold of Ravana. To this day (it is said that) people refer to this submerged reef as ‘Ravana Kotte’ (The Fortress of Ravana).

Legend also states that the waters of the ocean had rushed over the capital (Ravana Kotte) by the act of the Gods to punish the Ravana (I do not know for what) and buried twenty five palaces and five hundred thousand streets. (Was it a Tsunami?   Shocked)

Further, based on the experience of the fishermen, at the edge of this submerged reef, on the side towards the coast one can easily find the bottom of the reef. But, the other side towards to ocean is so deep that the longest line dropped by the fishermen would not touch the bottom. Hence, they call it the ‘Rawana Baemma’ or ‘Ravana’s Ridge’.

So next time you see these light houses… remember that you may actually be seeing history!  Roll Eyes.

This I read in R.L. Brohier’s book titled ‘Seeing Ceylon’ (ISBN 995-8425-16-8); Pages 255, 256.

Thanks & Happy Travelling.

Priyanjan.
charith

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2009, 04:59:59 AM »

Dear All,

There is a set of article on "Rama Ravana legend" on Sunday Lankadeepa by Shantha Kumara VItana....Already 5 articles published by last Sunday....

Hope you all will find some more info from it....

Charith
Priyanjan
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2009, 08:37:13 AM »

Hello Charith,

Thanks for the information.

Priyanjan.
Priyanjan
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2009, 10:05:38 AM »

Hello All,

I managed to buy a book titled 'Ramayana in Lanka' published by the 'Chinmaya Mission Sri Lanka'. Naturally, the book covers more of Rama & Sita than of Rawana. The book lists 44 sites that are connected to the Legend. A DVD titled 'Sri Lanka's Ramayana Trail' too comes with the book. It contains visuals (along with a commentary) of the sites listed in the book. The Sri Lanka Tourism Promotion Bureau has had a hand in producing the DVD. It is obvious that their interest in it has/had been only to attract some Indian tourists into the country!  Sad.

I did find information on sites related to the Legend, yet my guess is that a lot more has been left out.  Huh.

I will post the details of these sites (listed in the book), one by one, when time permits.

May be this is the same publication that Kishan has mentioned in an earlier post.

Thanks,

Priyanjan.
lakdasun
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2009, 09:17:33 AM »

This article "Historical Evidence of Ramayana & Rawana in Sri Lanka" has a list of places connected to the Rama-Rawana legend.

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children
Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists

Tags: Hakgala | Ravana | 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: