Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Connections to the Rama - Rawana Legend  (Read 23107 times)
Priyanjan
« on: March 16, 2009, 10:04:25 AM »

Hello All,

Today while reading a post made by another member (NG), it prompted me to start a new topic that is somewhat indirectly connected to the nature or should I say, the geography of this land.

What I propose is that we publish any stories / folklore that we may have heard of, that relate / connect our country to the Rama - Rawana legend. There are lots and lots of it. Many mountains, rivers, rocks, caves, waterfalls, beaches, flora & fauna and even names of many places around the country are connected to this legend. I guess it will be very interesting reading material. If not, at least knowing these stories will be an advantage to each one of us when we will be required to relate stories to our Grand Children!  Grin.

So please do contribute.

Thanks in advance,

Priyanjan.
mithila
Global Moderator

@ N: 06° 47.85’ | E: 079° 53.38’

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 07:51:23 PM »

Roomassala mountain in Galle and Ritigala mountain close to Anuradhapura.

The legend is that "Hanuman" the monkey was asked to bring some medicinal plants from "Himalaya" to treat Ravana's brother who was injured. Hanuman forgot what specific plants to bring and there fore carried an entire piece of a mountain from Himalaya. He came back in just two steps from Himalaya. The first step was placed at Galle when a piece of the mountain broke-off and created the Roomassala mountain in the coast. The remaining piece was placed in the north central province, and the required medicinal plants were extracted from that. This piece is the "Ritigala".

Smiley

Correction: The medicinal plats were required to treat "Rama's" brother, NOT "Ravana's"
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 10:04:27 PM by mithila » Logged

Man did not weave the web of life. He is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web of life, he does to himself. | Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you!
Priyanjan
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 09:52:17 PM »

Just to add to Mithila's comments, R.L. Brohier in his book titled 'Seeing Ceylon' states that there were times when holy sanyasis (from India) climbed Ritigala and Rumassala insearch of a plant named 'Sansevi' meaning 'Tree of Life and Immortality'. I guess they could not find it. May be next time you visit these places, have a look around for the plant.  Wink.

Priyanjan.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 09:55:08 PM by Priyanjan » Logged
Priyanjan
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 10:30:53 PM »

Oluganthota - Balangoda

This story was related to me by a relative. The facts may be incorrect when compared with the Ramayan

At some point of the battle between Rama and Rawana, Rama is said to have fired an arrow which beheaded Rawana. The place where the head (of Rawana) had fallen is now called 'Oluganthota'. This place is close to Balangoda, along the Badulla road (A-4)  where the road crosses the Walawe Ganga. Just near the Balangoda Govt. Hospital. It was also told to me that Rama had placed his bow across the twin mountain peaks we now refer to as 'Dethanagala' which are also close to Balangoda.

Looking at the map, I have observed that there is also a village named 'Rawanakanda', once again not too far from Balangoda.

Roll Eyes.

Priyanjan. 

Gihan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 06:59:45 AM »

Thotupola Kanda and Wariyapola

Stories of Ravana always mention the "Dandhu-Monaraya", the airplane used by Ravana. People believe that the "Thotupola Kanda", the third highest mountain situated in Horton Plains got its name because Ravana used it as an "airport" or a "Launching Pad" for his crafts. "Thutupola" in Sinhalese means "Port". High above in the mountains the only port you can think of is a port for areal vehicles  Smiley

Similarly the location name "Wariyapola", which refers to an area situated in the north western plains of the country, suggests that the place had been used as an airport. Wariyapola in Sinhalese breaks in to "wa" - means Air, "Riya" - means vehicle, "Pola" means Station or port.

This is all from the legends. To my knowledge there are no historic evidence to prove any one of these.  Smiley
Chamila W

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 09:23:06 AM »

Interesting Topic !

Let me add what I know & experienced....

Once, my self & a friend of mine climbed Hakgala mountain.( This is the mountain which situated near to the Hakgala gardens.)
There is a folktale among the villagers, that Queen Sitha was hidden in Hakgala mountain range & she bath in a pond in top of Hakgalla mountain.
In top of the Hakgalla mountain, we found a round place like a pond where there is no trees but only green grass are grown. The villagers say that this is the place where queen sitha bathed.The wonder of this place is that its surrounded by thick jungle, but no big trees growing inside this round place.

I took some photos ... see the below link

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=13850&id=619013799#/photo.php?pid=313474&id=619013799

Further, the villagers say that who ever lost their way in Hakgalla mountain range will suddenly found themselves in a "garden of fruit trees" & after eating the fruits, the person will fell in to a coma & the next day when get up from the coma, that person will be in his village.  Luckily we didn't lost our way  Grin

So that's my experience.....

Chamila
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 09:27:59 AM by Chamila W » Logged
Priyanjan
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 09:49:23 AM »

Hello Chamila,

Thanks for sharing. It's the first time I heard of this 'spot' on Hakgala mountain Got to go there sometime (and the list of places to visit keep getting long). Hope I will not loose my way.  Grin. Anyway, please give directions when you have the time.

Best Regards,

Priyanjan.
malakar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 08:24:25 PM »

I have climbed Rumassala couple of times a many years ago,
supporting to Mithila's comment, it is said that there are
plants growing at Rumassala which are not found anywhere
else in Sri Lanka.

Scientific explanation to this is, Rumassala is a asteroid fallen
centuries ago and the constitution of soil is different and it grows different
plants.

We never know whether Hanuman was supernatural to carry a
part of Himalaya, may be he was!

Anyway, Rawana was a great king of our kind, and we are proud decendents
of him, not Vijaya.

Regards,

Malaka

chandima
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 08:04:15 AM »

This is a very good friend's version of the Ramayanaya: Wink
That Ravana and Seetha had a love affair and when Rama got to know about it he got mad and with the help of some extraordianry weapons and treachary, kicked Ravana's ass.
However Ravana was the winer in this anyways as he and Seetha were the founding memebers of the mile high club on board the Dhadu Monara Yaanaya. and Seetha never looked at Rama and that forgetful monkey after that, as now she knows the real "taste of paradise" (hence the old theme of the Air Lanka).
~ being a Sri Lankan i believe this version of the story .. hahaha.

Anyways I wanted to point out this interesting fact that when you map the Earth's gravitational force, the largest anomaly in the gravitational force occurs in the Indian ocean just south of Rumassala. Maybe Rama had some really powerful alien weapons or this was a meteor impact site ?? Legend says Sir Arthur Clarke liked Ahungalla particularly for this reason.
See the gravity map from NASA:

« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 08:38:10 AM by lakdasun » Logged

Take your nature conservation beyond your keyboard !!!
anjanag
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 09:34:47 PM »

Its interesting, Science behind the folktales......! Smiley

“There are some folk tales combined with king “Rawana” regarding Lakegala also. Legend has it that the Lankapura of Mighty Ravana the capital of his kingdom was located around this Rock. It is also said that Ravana the epic King of Lanka used Lakegala as a device to calculate time for this Kingdom depending on the relationship between this rock and the sunrise and sun set.”

I found this Sunday Observer article, it’s also very interesting & contain more about Ravana.

Read & enjoy…! Smiley

http://www.sundayobserver.lk/2008/08/24/plus03.asp

This is another web article
http://www.mysrilanka.com/travel/lanka/history/rama_ravana.htm

Regards
Anjana
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 10:03:24 PM by anjanag » Logged

Would you like to see my new photos posted in Flickr, the best site for photographs?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/anjanagunathilake/
NG
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 01:36:18 AM »

I came across a book called 'Dakunu Budhu Siripathula pihiti Makkama saha Ravana rajuge sellipi' by Jayaratne Pathiraarachchi.

There is a long list of places, people and some corresponding events presented in the book. For example, Rahala Gala in Aranayake has a sel lipiya that indicates that the cave was donated to the Sanga by Ravana's daughter (Shohili) and a grandson. Given the dating of Ravana, the author suggests that this reffers not to the Sangha of the Guathama Buddha sasana but of Kashyapa Buddha Sasana. I guess it could also mean a monk of a different religion/belief.

Other places that have sel lipi that are attributed to the Ravana period are at, Horowpathana, Yala, Maha oya, Alu Lena ( Kagalle), Rakshahela ( Ampara), Kurunagala-Polpithigama...
malakar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 06:15:12 AM »

NG, I think Ravana was before Gauthama buddha, so before Gauthama buddha
it was Kashyapa Buddha.

Am I correct?

Malaka
NG
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 04:41:03 AM »

Hi Malaka,
yes, that is what I meant in the post - at least that is what the author suggets.
I am not sure of the timing / dating of the Ravana period, have you any idea?

The reason I added that it might be monks of some other religion that Ravana's duaghter donated the cave to is becuase I thought the Kashyapa Buddha Sasana period may have been over by the time of Ravana. So Ravana period might have been between the Kashyapa Buddha Sasana and Gauthama Buddha.

The book refferes to 24,000 years ago in some places but I am not sure how it links. I think Balangoda man/ Fa Hian Cave man etc are about 36,000 years ago?

Sorry! for the confusion!
Some info on a dating of Ravana would be intersting.
N
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 04:46:12 AM by NG » Logged
Priyanjan
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 08:43:30 AM »

Anjana, Thank You for sharing. The article that had appeared in the Observer was very interesting. It had 'details' that I had not heard before.

NG, Thank You for sharing. I too had read 'somewhere'  Roll Eyes about this 'sel lipiya' but cannot remember where I read it. Now I have to through the books to look for it. Just a couple of questions (if you don't mind  Grin).

Q1 - Have you any idea as to the location / directions to this place (that's where the sel lipiya is) in Aranayake.

Q2 - Where did you buy the book you have referred to? I have looked for it in Bandarawela but failed to find it. 

Thanks,

Priyanjan.
Chamila W

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2009, 11:57:54 AM »

Dear Priyanjan,

Some time back there were some continuing articles in "Lakbima" news paper regarding the Ravana story & about his "Dandu monara".
These articles were written by a famous scholar, but now I cant remember the name. It says that during the Rama Ravana war the Ravana has used nuclear weapons. 
These articles were very interesting, but now cannot remember the exact time which they were published. Further, it says that Ravana must have alien help to build the flying ships which used "air" (cannot remember the exact ingredient, I think its air) as the fuel. The author, line up some very good examples regarding these facts & it was a very good & interesting article to read.

By the way, answer to your Q..  Wink

You can climb Hakgalla mountain from the Hakgalla Gardens itself or from the road side. We took the road side which was much difficult & lost our way one or two times in the middle of the thick forest.First, you have to get the permission from the Range forest office in Nuwara Eliya, 'cause this place is a conserved wildlife place.

Chamila 
Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists

Tags: Hakgala | Ravana | 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: