Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggest some places to visit - one day trip (Galle/ Matara/Kalutara area)  (Read 8069 times)
Lakmalnj

View Profile
« on: June 09, 2011, 07:48:06 AM »

Hi All,

We are planning to go on a one day familily trip next week (on Poson poya day).
Can you recomend me some places to visit around Galle or Kalutara or Matara area.

I can think about few places ;

Kanneliya Rain Forest
Hiyare Rainforest Park
Maadhu Ganga

What are the other places you can remember?

I used tags but I didn't find much information Sad.

Thanks,
Lakmal
Wije

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 08:45:19 AM »

Hi Lakmal,
1.Boat ride to Madol duwa
2.Unawatuna beech
3.Galle fort. If you go to Galle fort there is a nice dutch museum near the fort. This is a private place and maintained by a Muslim gentlemen. Entrance free. It's about 50 meters away from court premises.
Hope this will help you.
BR, Wije
Lakmalnj

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 09:39:07 AM »

Hi Wije,

Thanks for quick response.

Actually my home town is Galle but I know there are some uncommon places around . Specially I want to know those uncommon places. (sorry I forgot mentioned it earlier) I already visited to Galle port and Unawatuna beech.But I never been to Madol duwa. That's good suggestion.

But I also been to below places in other two districts.

Kalutara
Kalutara Bodiya
Kande Viharaya - Aluthgama

Matara
Veherahena
Wewurukannala
Polhena beach
Kirinda
Hummanaya

Awaiting more replies Smiley

Regards,
Lakmal
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 10:01:06 AM by Lakmalnj » Logged
Malaka S

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 12:11:33 PM »

Hello Lakmal,
Matara

Kirinda
  Huh  Huh
I think this is Tissa kirinda near Boondala. There is a town called Kirinda in Matara-Hakmana road. It was only Kirinda in Matara District.
If you are interested in temples,
1. Mulkirigala
2. Umangala @ Hakmana
two other places in Matara.

If you are interested in Udugama, Hiniduma area,
1. Doovili ella
2. Kottawa forest reserve and natural pool near Galle- Udugama road
3. Nugagala temple near thawalama - This temple was showed more than one time on TV programme "Atapattama" because there was long inclined Buddha statue carved by
   monk in the temple.

Regards,
Malaka

Sri Lanka---- The small Miracle
Lakmalnj

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 09:43:46 PM »

Kirinda
[/quote]  Huh  Huh
I think this is Tissa kirinda near Boondala. There is a town called Kirinda in Matara-Hakmana road. It was only Kirinda in Matara District.
If you are interested in temples,
1. Mulkirigala
[/quote]

Hi Malaka,

Thanks for the correction. Yes. I referred Kirinda which is close to Boondala.

Also regarding Mulkirigala temple, I think that is located near to Tangalle in Hambanthota disctrict? Isn't it?

Regarding doovili Ella, Do you know how to go there?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Thanks,
Lakmal

« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 04:21:15 AM by Lakmalnj » Logged
jayathurms

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 10:13:33 PM »

Hi Lakmal,

At Kalutara you can visit Richmond castle which is an old mansion belonged to a wealthy businessman during the colonial times. Now it is managed by a trust and visitors can get a guided tour of the place. More info is here: http://wikimapia.org/4461477/Richmond-Castle-A-landmark-of-Kalutara-One-Of-the-biggest-mansions-in-sri-lanka

Think you would like to stay away from temples because the day of your trip is the Poson Poya Day and it will be very crowded. At Kalutara, you can go towards Agalawatta - Kalawana and can visit many bathing places like Athwelthota as well as visit Thudugala falls closer to Dodangoda. The scenery is also very beautiful in this area and it is a pleasurable drive.

Then there is always the beach to relax during the evening watching the sunset. The place where the Kalu Ganga meets the sea (the Southern bank) is a fascinating place during the sunset and I go there quite often to wind down.

Regarding Mulkirigala: It is located along the Beliatta - Weeraketiya road. You have to turn left from Dickwella to reach Beliatta and from Beliatta take the Weeraketiya road. This is also a fascinating place but I would doubt whether you would enjoy it on a Poya Day.

Cheers,
Jayathu

"We are part of the earth and it is part of us. The perfumed flowers are our sisters. The bear, the deer, the great eagle, these are our brothers. The rocky crests, the dew in the meadow, the body heat of the pony, and man all belong to the same family." - Chief Seattle
lakdasun
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 10:43:33 PM »

Regarding doovili Ella, Do you know how to go there?

There are two in the area. Find the trail guides below. Most likely Malaka was referring to Kosmulla Dhoovili Ella.

Kosmulla Dhoovili Ella -  Trail to Siththara Gal-lena (Cave) via Dhuwili Ella from Kosmulla – Sinharaja Rain Forest

Lankagama Dhoovili Ella - Trail to “Hariyawa Dola” waterfall complex – Sinharaja Rain Forest

Also some more waterfalls in Matara district are discussed here - Anybody knows about this waterfall......!!!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 10:46:14 PM by lakdasun » Logged

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children
KasunDes

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 11:38:36 PM »

I recently visited the famous Kottawa natural pool and found it no longer is a natural pool. It is now managed by the local government (pradeshiya sabha) and is ruined by them due to an unsuccessful attempt of developing it. Now it is a tiled pool with some cold water. not a natural pool any more. water is not cleaned as well. I was utterly disappointed when I saw how it is ruined by these fools. I do not recommend this any more.

however there is another place in Elpitiya called "ada halena alla  (අඩා හැලෙන ඇල්ල) where you can have a natural bath and is a beautiful place. but I do not know the current conditions.
viraj

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 12:27:37 AM »

Hi All,

willing to add two cents for the discussion:

1. Colombo to Dikwella http://www.srilankantravellers.com/trips/2011/04/seenigama-dikwella-galle-fort/
2. Dikwella to Kataragama http://www.srilankantravellers.com/trips/2011/04/hummanaya-kirinda-kataragama/
3. Richmond Castle @ Kalutara http://www.traveljournals.net/stories/30185.html
4. Attractions in and around Neluwa a.http://trips.lakdasun.org/exploring-the-southern-boundary-of-sinharaja-rain-forest-duli-ella-neluwa.htm
                                                   b. http://trips.lakdasun.org/lankagama-an-isolated-village-in-the-southern-boundary-of-sinharaja-rain-forest.htm

BR

viraj

More travel experiences in Sri Lanka, visit :
http://www.traveljournals.net/travelers/viraj/journals/
Lakmalnj

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 01:22:29 AM »

I recently visited the famous Kottawa natural pool and found it no longer is a natural pool. It is now managed by the local government (pradeshiya sabha) and is ruined by them due to an unsuccessful attempt of developing it. Now it is a tiled pool with some cold water. not a natural pool any more. water is not cleaned as well. I was utterly disappointed when I saw how it is ruined by these fools. I do not recommend this any more.

however there is another place in Elpitiya called "ada halena alla  (අඩා හැලෙන ඇල්ල) where you can have a natural bath and is a beautiful place. but I do not know the current conditions.

Hi Kasun,

Yes I agree with you. I visited to Kottawa natural pool about 6 months back and its no longer natural pool.
I went to අඩා හැලෙන ඇල්ල area around 10 years ago and at that time it was a nice place. There is a Aranya (can not remember the name) around that area also.

Thanks,
Lakmal
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 01:26:12 AM by Lakmalnj » Logged
Lakmalnj

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 01:40:38 AM »

Hi Jayathu, Admin and Viraj,

Thanks for your suggestions/comments.

Lakmal
lakdasun
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 01:59:11 AM »

I went to අඩා හැලෙන ඇල්ල area around 10 years ago and at that time it was a nice place. There is a Aranya (can not remember the name) around that area also.

Check - Andahalena Falls (අඩාහැලෙන ඇල්ල) and Diwankara Lena Hermitage

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children
Lakmalnj

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 02:39:03 AM »

Thanks Admin.

Yes that is the place.Nice to see that report in Lakdasun. Because that place is not that much famous place.

But only concerns to visiting there rain and leeches problem Sad.

Lakmal
Malaka S

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 08:41:13 AM »

Hello Kasun & Lakmal,

Very sad news for me.  Cry  Cry
three years back I visited there. Very calm place and enjoyed well.
Thanks for the update.

Regards,
Malaka

Sri Lanka---- The small Miracle
Lakmalnj

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 11:12:05 AM »

Hi,

Thanks all for your valuable suggestions/comments.

We have decided to going to Udugma,Neluwa,Thawalama area in upcoming poya day. Only problem is rain. These days lot of areas in Galle, getting heavy rain. But I'm not too sure about that area condition.
So if you know any contact no to get the latest weather condition over there, please let me know.

Thanks again for your help,

Lakmal
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 07:22:50 PM by Lakmalnj » Logged
Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists

Tags: Galle | Kalutara | Matara | 
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: