Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Forest Department Dormitory - Kanneliya Forest Reserve  (Read 16990 times)
mithila
Global Moderator

@ N: 06° 47.85’ | E: 079° 53.38’

View Profile WWW
« on: February 23, 2009, 10:29:08 AM »

I was able to take a closer look at the Forest Department Dormitory when I visited Kanneliya last week end.

The Kanneliya Conservation Center (the whole complex) seems to be managed better than some of the other forest department facilities. The dormitory had four rooms, a five bed room, 13 bed room and two 16 bed rooms (all together 50 beds). every room had attached bathrooms which were very clean and well maintianed. The entire facility is well maintained and clean.

It costs just Rs. 250 per person. There is a cook to prepare meals, you have to take rations and pay for gas. In my opinion, this is the best accomodation option if you plan to visit Kanneliya forest. You have to make reservations at forest department head office at Baththaramulla.

Check this thread for the forest department contact numbers: http://www.lakdasun.com/forum/index.php?topic=300.0

See some pictures below

« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 10:33:44 AM by mithila » Logged

Man did not weave the web of life. He is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web of life, he does to himself. | Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you!
hapriyankara

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 06:15:27 AM »

Hello ... I'm new to this forum and First of all great forums !!!

@mithila ......

Is there any regulations when booking Forest Department Bungalows ?

Cause one of my friend said that if you know a person who work for forest department only they accept bookings .....

Cheers

mithila
Global Moderator

@ N: 06° 47.85’ | E: 079° 53.38’

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 06:39:58 AM »

Hi,

The requirement is for a forest department officer to approve your request. You don't need to know some one before hand. What you should do is to go there and tell them that you want to make a reservation, they will then  prepare the documents (applications) and will ask you whether you know some one working there. If you say "no" they will direct you to some officer, who will ask few questions from you to make sure that you are a serious visitor to the forest and approve it.

Mithila

Man did not weave the web of life. He is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web of life, he does to himself. | Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you!
Danushka

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 12:34:21 AM »

There is a peace of information that might be impotent for you guys when considering accomodation at forest dormitory, Kanneliya. Most of the other forest department bungalows are reserved from 12pm to 12pm as a day (ex: 12pm Saturday to 12pm Sunday)  But forest dormitory in Kanneliya is book from 4.30pm to 3pm as a day. This could be a problem if you are planing to prepare lunch on first day at the forest dormitory. We faced this issue when we went there. Had to spend a day without lunch Sad so be prepared (BTW it was in the piece of paper they gave us, been so familiar with forest bungalows we didn't bother to check on in-out times) I agree with Mithila on facilities and service. But having 5 dormitories close to each others is bit disturbing.

Danushka Senadheera - Inspiring Moments
http://www.danushkasenadheera.zenfolio.com

Colors of Sri Lanka -  Discover the enchanted paradise
http://www.colorsofsrilanka.com
Sri

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 08:46:09 PM »

Hi,

Im planning to visit Kanneliya  and stay in this place.. since you guys have been there please advice on do's and donts at this place...

thanks
Sri
Gihan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 01:54:47 AM »

Hi Sri,

I'm sure you are some one who goes there to enjoy nature, otherwise you would not join this forum! In that case you need no advice. You are just expected to adhere to the most basic rule, "don't disturb the peacefulness of mother nature"  Smiley

Have you stayed at forest or wildlife department facilities before? If you haven't just keep in mind that its not a hotel. Don't expect the staff to provide the level of service you get at a hotel. Most of the things are "Do it Yourself". The caretaker will prepare meals but that pretty much is it! I'm sire you don't plan to party inside the dormitory, do you?  Grin alcohol too is not allowed. Its just a place to sleep after a wonderful exploration in the forest. That's it  Smiley

G
Soysa

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 10:35:24 PM »

I booked the Forest Department Kanneliya lodge on the 13th and 14 August 2011. This is to recommend to all that this is the best government rest which gave moneys worth. The Department officers were happy and welcomed all visitors with a happy face. Although the timings of checking into the rooms are from 3.00pm if the rooms are vacant you get it at the same moment.
You have to pay Rs 10/ for a clean bed sheet and Rs 5/ for a pillow case which worth as you get newly laundered items. The rooms were extremely clean and toilets were very very clean and no broken faucets, taps or blocked shower rose or blocked wash basins. Better that most of the Rest houses or private lodges.
For the food and meals, you have to supply the rice or noodles, vegetables, condiments and other things according to ones needs. The food was cooked well and very tasty may be partly the expertise of the cooking and the clean purified water without chlorine like in Colombo. They charge Rs10/ per person for gas and service which is worth as one can specify the time you need tour meal to the cook.
Actually we got the money’s worth from the stay and extremely unusual of the cleanliness of the place, and Recommend to all members of Lakdasun forum
I thank the staff the RFO in charge and his team for giving us the best and may their tribe increase.
H.Soysa
fanro
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 01:15:28 AM »

Thank you Soysa for the recommendation. First hand experiences are always worth.
Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists

Tags: Kanneliya | Udugama | Galle District | 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: