Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Narilatha/Liyathambara Flower? (Is it another hoax?)  (Read 71816 times)
manu

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2011, 08:48:43 AM »

Hi All

There are several e-mails, Facebook postings, Flickr pictures that claim this is the actual flower or fruit of the Narilatha/Liyathambara tree.
To me it looks too real to be true (photoshop work? wax figures?).... besides why would a tree actually have a flower/fruit like this? (insects can't really care!)   Cheesy
But of course I could be wrong, so hope someone could shed some light on this.

Thanks and best regards,
Manu
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 08:50:33 AM by manu » Logged
Lalith

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 02:56:01 AM »

I could comment on "Naarilatha mal"

"Naarilatha" is an orchid (family Orchidaceae) under the Genara of Habenaria. All Habenaria species are terrestial orchids with tubers. About 10 Habenaria pecies found in Sri Lanka out of which 5 are endemic to the island.
I have recorded Habenaria crinifera in Sinharaja in 1992.
I'm sorry I will not be able to attach a pic of same at this time.

Regards - Lalith
manu

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 04:41:04 AM »

Hello Lalith

Thanks a lot  for the comment.
When you Google "Naarilatha" , this image comes up.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://mypixup.com/image-8B71_4B65CBCE.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.elakiri.com/forum/showthread.php%3Ft%3D428486&usg=__yT-QC5WczY2p0Cbam_N-tHEF6iE=&h=504&w=380&sz=111&hl=en&start=0&zoom=0&tbnid=lsmae0waPGF9yM:&tbnh=130&tbnw=98&ei=lFKcTdrHCYzMuAPPoL2hBw&prev=/images%3Fq%3DNarilatha%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DX%26gbv%3D2%26biw%3D1465%26bih%3D641%26tbm%3Disch&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=312&oei=lFKcTdrHCYzMuAPPoL2hBw&page=1&ndsp=23&ved=1t:429,r:19,s:0&tx=80&ty=95

Could it be the orchid you refer to?

Manu
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 04:47:50 AM by manu » Logged
manu

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 05:13:30 AM »

If anyone has read any reliable literature on Liyathambara tree/flowers, please share.
If it's mythical, even that info would be appreciated.
Thanks!!
Manu
Prasantha

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 02:31:34 AM »

Hi Manu,

Yes, it is Narilatha. (Result of the Google search). It grows in lowland rain forests. Not an endemic.

About Liyathambara- There is no such a flowering Plant in “A Check list of the flowering plants of Sri Lanka” of Lilani Kumudini Senaratna, published by the National Science Foundation (NSF)- former NARESA (It is the most up to date and complete check list on the subject) nor in “A Glossary of Sinhala and Tamil Names of the Plants of Sri Lanka” (The Sri Lanka Forester Vol XI No 3&4) published by the Forest Department in 1974.

Siri Liyanage in his Nirukthiya sahitha Sinhala Shabdhakoshaya (Dictionary with descriptions) says Liyathambara is a conceptual mythical flower.

Regarding the photo- Very innovative idea, but they have failed to fix the stems at the same place of both dolls !!. One on head and other one on backside !!!. One’s legs are straight and other one’s overlapping !. You can observe two shapes of tree leaves- one plastic and other natural !!!.

Regards

Prasantha
manu

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 04:57:07 AM »

Hi Prasantha

Believers might say you won't find Liyathambara in those books since it is not a flower of Sri Lanka, but of the Himalayas.
BUT your very good observations about the stem etc should shut them up Smiley
I am surprised Lanhadeepa even carried an article on this believing it to be true!
Thank you very much for the comment and information!

Best regards
Manu
Kelum
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 10:36:28 PM »

Hi Manu,
I am surprised Lankadeepa even carried an article on this believing it to be true!
Don't believe what media ppls are talking....
Anyway, we have seen several times these types of edited images or fake images with e-mails/facebook...etc

Regarding the photo- Very innovative idea, but they have failed to fix the stems at the same place of both dolls !!. One on head and other one on backside !!!. One’s legs are straight and other one’s overlapping !. You can observe two shapes of tree leaves- one plastic and other natural !!!.
Prasantha, you are absolutely right.... Grin Grin

Thanks
BRgds
Kelum
Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists

Tags: Narilatha/Liyathambara  | 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: