Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists
August 20, 2017, 08:14:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Lakdasun forum has changed its face! Spend few minutes to get yourself familiar with the new look.

Home   Forum Home   Help Search Tags Login Register Email Admin  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: need to know about kabiliththa devalaya.  (Read 12130 times)
nuwant

View Profile
« on: February 10, 2011, 02:23:45 AM »

any one who knows about how to visit kabiliththa please let me know the rout and the places and how difficult abt the place.

nuwan
jayathurms

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 03:36:36 AM »

Hi Nuwan,

I have not been personally to Kebiliththa Devale, but have heard some details about it from various sources. Hope they could be somewhat useful to you until better inputs come in.

Route: Obviously through Kumana. There is almost a further 40kms (not too sure about the exact value) from the last commonly visited place (Gal amuna camping site) inside the Kumana national park. It is deep inside the jungle and on the bank of the Kumbukkan Oya. Since this is bordering Yala NP as well, dont know if there is another route through Yala but this is highly unlikely.

Places: There is only the deep, wild jungle once you pass the Gal Amuna camp site. I think this is one of the places furthest away from any sort of human activity in the country.

Difficulty: The access road is a very difficult one. Only serious 4WD vehicles can go and even they cant go at all in the wet season. It is recommended that at least two vehicles travel together because if one breaks down there is no way to get any help. Also it is advisable, if both vehicles have winches and snorkels to be ready for any occasion.

I hope the above is of any use to you and better to wait for some one with more experience chimes in. The remoteness of this place is a very big motivating factor for me to go there someday very soon. I hope that the people who visit this place respects the beliefs bound with it and do not destroy the uniqueness of it.

BR,
Jayathu

https://www.flickr.com/photos/7331776@N03/

"We are part of the earth and it is part of us. The perfumed flowers are our sisters. The bear, the deer, the great eagle, these are our brothers. The rocky crests, the dew in the meadow, the body heat of the pony, and man all belong to the same family."
supun44

A Land Like No Other

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 06:59:11 AM »

Hello nuwan,
I don't know information of kebiliththa but I know resource person.
he is our member nadika ayya  http://www.lakdasun.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=246
he is went there twice.
please send personal message for him.
Thanks
                      supun44
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 12:06:55 PM by supun44 » Logged

Respect is not a gift you have to earn it.
viraj

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 10:39:42 PM »

Hi Jayathu / Nuwan,

I hope that the people who visit this place respects the beliefs bound with it and do not destroy the uniqueness of it.

100% agreed with you Jayathu.

BR

viraj

More travel experiences in Sri Lanka, visit :
http://www.traveljournals.net/travelers/viraj/journals/
Theshantha

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 02:38:39 AM »

Dear Nuwan,

I went Kealiththa on last week end. I'm sorry I forgot to invite Lakdasun friends to join with me. That was my third time visit there.

How to go:
Route 1 - Kumana > Kuda kebaliththa > Ada Kumbuka > Gal amuna > Maha siyambalawa devalaya (Kebaliththa)
Route 2 - Yala > Block 2 > cross kumbukkan oya > Kuda kebaliththa > Ada Kumbuka > Gal amuna > Maha siyambalawa devalaya (Kebaliththa)

These routes you have to take permission from DWLC Kumana is ok but Yala you need special favor. Because officially they are not allow to cross the Kumbukkan oya. After you cross it, it is Kumana so with out permission its illegal. But negotiation with park office they allow to go Devalaya.

Route 3 - Monaragala > Kodayana > 5 Kanuwa (5th post) > Kotiyagala > Bogas handiya Road or Kammal yaya road.
31Km from Kotiyagala to Deavalaya.

Extremely 4x4 route. there are big tractors with trailer as the transport method (LKR 12,000 for tour). if you use your own vehicle you need all the 4x4 recovery accessories (reliable winch/snatch belts/hi-lift jacks/extra fuel) and driving skills. at least need two 4x4 vehicles.

This time I went via Makola > Rathnapura > Beragala > Wellawaya > Monaragala > Kotiyagala > Bogas handiya road > Devalaya > Kammal yaya road > Kotiyagala > Athimale > Siyambalanduwa > Monaragala > Wellawaya > Ella > Kumbalwela > Bandarawela > haputhale > Rathnapura > Sweet home. Smiley

Vehicle: Honda XR250 motor bike.

I start from Makola Friday 18th 10:15 pm, Kotiyagala 19th Start at 9:00 am, reached at Devalaya 1:30 pm, Start again 5:30 pm, Wadigala (Kammalyaya rd) 12:05 mid night. stay on the rock (sleep well on naked rock), 20th 9:00 am start again, 11:00 at Kotiyagala police post.

Road is terribly mud. aprox millage 35 + 35 = 70 km. out of 70 50 km is mud. we were stuck many times and it was a nice adventure ride i ever made.

VERY IMPORTANT: Before you do this you need the faith of Kataragama God and need to prevent from 'Kili' for at least 7 days. The faith is the protection of this pilgrim. Call me or mail me I'll give you more info. next mid May I'm hoping to going again. Perhaps you can join with me.   

I'll share some photographs for your information.

Best regards
Theshan
0777 318805 theshantha@hotmail.com

One Life, Live It....
viraj

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 09:48:00 AM »

Hi Theshantha,

Wow !
 Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

BR

viraj

More travel experiences in Sri Lanka, visit :
http://www.traveljournals.net/travelers/viraj/journals/
supun44

A Land Like No Other

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 10:13:39 AM »

Hello Theshan,
Great journey
super experience
Thanks for share with us
             supun44

Respect is not a gift you have to earn it.
Wije

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 10:17:22 PM »

Hi Thshantha,
What a great journey. Many thanks for all the info. What do you mean by 'Kili'. Is it that you have to be a vegetarian or something beyond that.
Wije
Theshantha

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 11:08:53 PM »

Dear Viraj/Supun/Wije,

Thanks for your comments.

What do you mean by 'Kili'. Is it that you have to be a vegetarian or something beyond that.

Wije, yes you have be as vegetarian at least for 7 days. it call ' Pevenawa' (specially dedicated for this tour) things you not to do: no ladies with monthly periods/ up to 3 months it is not good if your family/wife have new born/funerals/some other common things conditioned by the devalaya.

call me I'll explain you more. 0777 318805

Best regards
Theshan   

One Life, Live It....
jayathurms

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 12:02:33 AM »

Hi Theshantha,

Thanks for the first hand info. Did not know about the existence of the 3rd route. I guess the road conditions were not too much of a hassle since you took a bike. Did you travel alone and how about the permissions if you take this road?
You have also mentioned about the possibility of hiring a tractor for the journey. Could you kindly update from where this can be arranged..

Sorry about all the questions and please do upload some pics too.. Smiley

BR,
Jayathu

https://www.flickr.com/photos/7331776@N03/

"We are part of the earth and it is part of us. The perfumed flowers are our sisters. The bear, the deer, the great eagle, these are our brothers. The rocky crests, the dew in the meadow, the body heat of the pony, and man all belong to the same family."
Theshantha

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 03:18:40 AM »

Hello Jayathu,

You are welcome. The 3rd route start from Kotiyagala. More than we thought in the forest had more rain. because of it the track was too bad for bike. mud mud mud...... Cry

Yes can arrange a tractor by my friend at there. need to find a sure guy to safe side. if you want let me know I'll do it for you.

Pictures i took very few due to the hardy tour. forget the camera & tripods. It was in safe in bags. BTW, as admin request i posted a TR with some pics to enjoy every body. 

Call me when you need more 0777 318805. Its pleasure.

BR,
Theshan

One Life, Live It....
lakdasun
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 10:36:12 AM »

BTW, as admin request i posted a TR with some pics to enjoy every body. 

The report is online now at - http://trips.lakdasun.org/kebaliththa-kebiliththa-devalaya.htm

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children
Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists

Tags: Yala | kebiliththa | kumana | 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: