Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists
September 22, 2017, 06:33:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Lakdasun forum has changed its face! Spend few minutes to get yourself familiar with the new look.

Home   Forum Home   Help Search Tags Login Register Email Admin  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wildlife Department Camp Sites - Horton Plains National Park  (Read 28723 times)
rajivwelikala

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 08:58:03 PM »

I have stayed @ the large domitory just outside the park, but never stayed @ a camp site there.

Would love to do this soon, only concern is the bitter cold which my friends have told me about. Smiley

Anyways planning on doing a trip there soon.
Thinuwan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 09:44:08 PM »

Hi Pradeep,
Im a scout from Negombo and we are planning to have a camp in Horton Plains in the end of October. Can anyone tell me that this month is suitable for that or not? and i want to know about the availability of food inside the park. That is breakfast, lunch & Dinner.

So far as per to the latest weather report from Horton Plains at the moment there seems to be a slight drizzle towards the evening and in the night a bit too cold climate [Not so cold  so I guess it'll be Ok Grin]

With regard to the food note that you can order/purchase food from the Horton Plains Visitors Center Canteen but make sure you order well in advance..

Horton Plains National Park..!! What can I say??  Grin
This is my favorite destination due to many reason such as Altitude, climate, scenery, terrain, etc..

My #1 location is Camp site 1, it's the Heaven on Earth for me..!

* DSC00817.jpg (341.07 KB, 1024x683 - viewed 39 times.)

* DSC00864.jpg (264.22 KB, 1024x683 - viewed 33 times.)

* DSC00867.jpg (275.16 KB, 1024x683 - viewed 26 times.)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 09:46:53 PM by Thinuwan » Logged

~~Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by what is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him??~~
lakdasun
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2012, 10:03:53 PM »

Note: Below is quoted from the Trip report - A three day trip to Maha Eliya (aka Horton Plains) and a hike to Thotupola kanda

Even though we reserved 2 sites ( #1 and #3 ) officers there allowed us to setup 4 tents (14 people) in one location. We went to both sites and choosed the site #1 as our destination for the day as it was remote and far away from all distractions like people and mobile signals Smiley

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children
sanjaya

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2012, 04:57:16 AM »

Note: Below is quoted from the Trip report - A three day trip to Maha Eliya (aka Horton Plains) and a hike to Thotupola kanda

Even though we reserved 2 sites ( #1 and #3 ) officers there allowed us to setup 4 tents (14 people) in one location. We went to both sites and choosed the site #1 as our destination for the day as it was remote and far away from all distractions like people and mobile signals Smiley

We booked 2 camp sites because it's not ethical to book one camp site that usually they give for 10 people and stay 14.

I think they restrict the number to 10 because there's a high chance of camp site getting polluted when there are more people(not applicable for nature lovers most of the time). Usually they don't allow more than 10 people per camp site, but most of the time you can judge people by looking at them(What they are up to etc :-) For example for some guests they do a full checkup for polythene, match boxes, cigarettes, etc and for some they do not check.

~sanjaya

P.S. I was also on that particular trip with Nepster :-)
Himala

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2013, 10:54:32 AM »

Hey guys need your help....i have never camped before in horton plains, but my family is planning the first horton plains camping trip probably in july.. i really want to know what is the best month for camping there... also whats the most scenic campsite?? and by any chance can we take not ten but eleven people to the campsite altogether...one extra.. and what is the month for birdwatching, exploring, hiking, not extremely windy, not very raining or really cold???
Buddhika.jm

It's me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2013, 09:49:53 PM »

Sadly upcoming moths in Horton plains might not so good for camping. Because May-August are the month that active with South West monsoons.  You would experience some heavy rains and foggy climate. I think January to March is good for visiting. But who knows, Weather is not much predictable. Smiley
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 12:13:07 AM by Buddhika.jm » Logged
KasunDes
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2013, 11:08:10 PM »

Sadly upcoming moths in Horton plains might not so good for visiting. Because May-August are the month that active with South West monsoons.  You would experience some heavy rains and foggy climate. I think January to March is good for visiting. But who knows, Weather is not much predictable. Smiley

agree with Buddhika. Trust me it is a nightmare to camp in HP if it rains.
lakdasun
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2014, 10:35:15 AM »

A Comprehensive Report on HP Camp Sites - A Quick Guide to Horton Plains Campsites

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children
waruna40

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2014, 07:30:40 AM »

This is a very informative Video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QejQiAR96P8
maxharsh

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2014, 10:54:18 PM »

let me know the contact number of this camping site
maxharsh

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2014, 10:59:53 PM »

Tony

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2014, 11:54:27 PM »

Dear Maxharsh,
If you go to our forum go for accomodation and do a search you can find how to book it. here the shortcut for available campsites http://www.lakdasun.org/forum/index.php?topic=2099.0

Tony

Be like a Human, act like a Human and die like a Human
Varushka

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2014, 04:42:58 AM »

hi,
    im new to this site but i recently camped at Horton Plains campsite 1(10th &11th Dec 2014) which is the best camp site by far. camping during December is a whole new extreme with the coooold weather conditions. If you are planning to visit there during this season please try to plan all the activities you are doing well before 3.00 as rain comes down early. You should also try to climb Kirigalpoththa the 2nd highest mount in sl) early in the mornings when the sky's are cloudless.
Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists

Tags: Horton Plains | 
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: