Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists
November 23, 2017, 03:15:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Lakdasun forum has changed its face! Spend few minutes to get yourself familiar with the new look.

Home   Forum Home   Help Search Tags Login Register Email Admin  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Wildlife Department Camp Sites - Horton Plains National Park  (Read 29476 times)
mithila
Global Moderator

@ N: 06° 47.85’ | E: 079° 53.38’

View Profile WWW
« on: January 10, 2009, 09:47:44 PM »

This is one of my favorite camp sites in the country. At Horton Plains the department operate three Camp sites close to each other in the banks of Belihul-Oya in the middle of the vast plain. While all three of them are located at beautiful places I always prefer the camp site which is closest to the Chimny pond off the Baker's falls trail (I think this is called "Camp site I" if I'm not mistaken. correction This is called Camp Site II ).

All three camp sites are locates about 500m to 750m from the Horton Plains visitor centre. Unlike the camp sites in other national parks you CANNOT drive up to the camp sites in Horton Plains. Therefore keep in mind that you have to carry all your stuff from the visitor centre to the camp site.

These camp sites have toilets (if you are worried about that  Wink) and have enough space for about two large tents. They only allow up to 10 people per site. Also keep in mind that nights at Horton plains get very very cold (specially JAN/FEB). Once we recorded 4 degrees Celsius  Shocked. July/August is extremely windy. Make sure that you secure your tents and fly sheets with extra caution if you plan to camp during these months.

For reservations you have to go to the wildlife department office: Check this thread for telephone numbers: http://lakdasun.com/forum/index.php?topic=300.0

See images below of the Camp Site II

« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 12:04:34 AM by mithila » Logged

Man did not weave the web of life. He is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web of life, he does to himself. | Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you!
chinthaka

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 12:01:08 AM »

I think the site near the Chimminee pool is Camp Site 2. Smiley. There is another one near Mutton Leg pool also. If im correct the most isolated place ( you are not disturbed by the horton plains visitors) is Camp Site 1.
mithila
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 12:03:14 AM »

Thanks Chinthaka. I will post a correction  Smiley

Man did not weave the web of life. He is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web of life, he does to himself. | Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you!
Malika

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 01:25:14 AM »

Thanks Mithila & Chinthaka for the information. Last visit I got know they restrict the Polythene, Lighters etc, beyond visitors centre. For the camp sites (I never stayed) are they allowed Gas-burners and other basic items? And what is allowed and not allowed?
mithila
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 08:59:30 AM »

Malika,

You are allowed to carry basic camping equipment. Gas burners are also allowed (in fact they are a must as camp fires are NOT allowed). The polythene restriction still applies but you can take your food etc in plastic containers. You are also allowed to carry plastic water bottles.

Mithila

Malika

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 02:03:38 AM »

Thanks Mithila. Smiley
nalinda

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 10:46:22 PM »

ur informations verymuch useful to me. thanx all!
yodli

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 08:38:51 PM »

Do we have to carry our own stuff(tents, burners, sleeping bags)?
Are they avaliable for rent?
how much time does it take for an average trekker to reach this camp site?
mithila
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 11:43:12 PM »

Hello,

You have to take your own tents.

Regarding reacheability:

You can only reach Pattipola or Ohiya using public transport. From either locations it is about 10KM to the visitor center of the park. From the visitor center it is just 500m to the camp site.

The best you can do is reach Ohiya or Pattipola using public transport and then hire a van or a "tuk" "tuk" to the visitor center.

kasunrambuk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 09:25:29 PM »

hi,
i contacted the WILD LIFE....GOD,they have increased the price for the camp site..Now.its Rs.2400 per night..Cheesy...Anway,can someone inform me the way to get this tuk tuk thing......
Sheham
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 09:52:54 PM »

Hi Kasun

i contacted the WILD LIFE....GOD,they have increased the price for the camp site..Now.its Rs.2400 per night.

This is Sri Lanka, No value addition but the price will sky rocket  Grin ....

Kind Regards
Sheham
kasunrambuk

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 10:03:07 PM »

hi,
We always choose camp site 1 as has the most beautiful surrounding and lot more security and privacy.[/img][/img]

* IMGP8406.JPG (382.62 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 496 times.)

* IMGP8416.JPG (324.8 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 243 times.)

* IMGP8417.JPG (405.58 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 258 times.)
kasunrambuk

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 10:11:19 PM »

Hi,
Always I select camp site 1 as it is at the most beautiful surrounding and it has more security and more privacy.No nature trail is going near it.......
Kasun

* IMGP8406.JPG (382.62 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 251 times.)

* IMGP8416.JPG (324.8 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 139 times.)

* IMGP8417.JPG (405.58 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 204 times.)
tud_das

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 11:57:45 PM »

No Pax : 7
Traveling : By train to ohiya and by foot to world end
Days : 1 nigtht
Reason : Camping and photography

To do camping in world end you need to get permission from forest department in malabe.
http://srilankantravellers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=27&sid=7eb0e60ef81cecfe878fa13b1283a4e4

correction (by admin)
The above link points to the contact numbers of the forest department. Horton Plain Camp Sites should be reserved from the department of wildlife conservation. The contact numbers can be found on the thread - Contact Numbers of Forest Department and Wildlife Deparment for Reservations -

You can get details form above link. There are three camping sites in world end. We booked camping site one.

You need to purchase tent. Coz sleeping beads and lamps are all available with forest department so you can rent them for the days you stay. They have a tent but they don’t allow people to stay in there. Because we also had the same exp with that tent. So u better purchase or rent a good tent which is capable enough for heavy rain and heavy wind. When night falls the weather is changing rapidly, so we need to prepare for the worst.

We started our journey from Colombo…We took night mail train to ohiya. It started @ 8.00 pm from fort rail way station. (Important : If u try to go this way u need to book this train sleeping booth before a week @ least other wise all the compartment will be booked. ) it is 5-6 horse journey from Colombo.. (177KM ). It reached around 4.30am to the ohiya
Then we stated our walk to worlds end… @ abt 5.45am.. it is a 12Km journey

Walking towards world end is awesome. Good for photography and enjoyable. We reach to worlds end around 10.45am. Then we went to camping site 1.  Site one is awesome. It is ideal place with every one... I feel this is better place. It is 11/2km from the entry of the worlds end. (That checks point). ]

Bakers river

Mist @ the morning

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

When you prepare you stuff try to get some wet proof clothes such as a jerkin and a rain coat coz @ the night there is a heavy mist and wind. And you need some touches. Please don’t take much politen to that place if you take those plastic, please bring them with you. Keep only your steps there. I’m not recommending to walk @ the night. There is a toilet with good condition.. but the thing is we need to water from the stream in that camping site. no matter can manage. Smiley no worries about that

you can check weather condition using this site link
http://www.fallingrain.com/world/CE/index.html

« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 01:04:01 AM by lakdasun » Logged
Pradeep Suran

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 08:59:16 AM »

Hey,
Im a scout from negombo and we are planning to have a camp in horton plains in the end of october. Can anyone tell me that this month is suitable for that or not? and i want to know about the availability of food inside the park. That is breakfast, lunch & Dinner.
Thanks!!!
This is a great help for nature lovers!!
Keep it up guys!!!
-Pradeep
Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists

Tags: Horton Plains | 
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: