Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists
November 23, 2017, 01:17:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Lakdasun forum has changed its face! Spend few minutes to get yourself familiar with the new look.

Home   Forum Home   Help Search Tags Login Register Email Admin  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Maha Eliya Wild Life Department Bungalow - Horoton Plains  (Read 39675 times)
mithila
Global Moderator

@ N: 06 47.85 | E: 079 53.38

View Profile WWW
« on: January 02, 2009, 07:12:33 AM »

I stayed two nights at Maha Eliya bungalow last week of December. Its located 1km from the visitor center (formerly far-inn) on the road to Pattipola.

The location is really nice. The bungalow is facing a vast plain and the mornings were really beautiful. Also its a very good place to see and photograph Sambar dear against beautiful backdrops.

There were three rooms and 10 beds all together. No heaters or hot water. Solar powered lights are there till 10.00 p.m. So facilities are very basic but the place was well maintained and clean.

Just as in all Wildlife bungalows the caretaker will prepare meals but you have to take rations. Nishantha, the caretaker who served us, was really good and the food was also very good  Smiley

It cost just below 5000/= per day for all 10 people.

Reservations should be made at the Wildlife department at Malabe. Check this thread for contact numbers: http://lakdasun.com/forum/index.php?topic=300.0

The place is accessible even by a car. See some pictures below taken around the bungalow

« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 07:10:07 PM by mithila » Logged

Man did not weave the web of life. He is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web of life, he does to himself. | Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you!
Gihan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 07:49:53 AM »

Thanks Mithila

G
Danushka

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 08:36:07 AM »

Thanks Mithila, Those photos are great and I m sure it is a memorable one out there

Danushka Senadheera - Inspiring Moments
http://dsinspiringmoments.com
Shammie

Ayubowan...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 03:49:25 AM »

Thank you very much for these information...
iro

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 07:59:09 AM »

Is it possible to exceed 10 people limit for any of horton plains bungalows? Because we have 14.
mithila
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 08:19:59 AM »

14 would be difficult in my opinion.

About 1.5 years back there was a dormitory under construction at Horton plains close to Maha Eliya. Worth checking with the wildlife department. If that is in operation, that would be the perfect option for you.

Man did not weave the web of life. He is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web of life, he does to himself. | Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you!
Charith Suranga

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 01:07:27 AM »

Dear mitila.

I just need to ask some info: from you since group of my people are planning visit this place on 1 May.
According to wildlife Dep: we cannot go by a vehicle. Do we need to walk a long ?

What are the other attracting places that we can visit if we stay for about three days ?

thank x

Suranga
mithila
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 01:26:07 AM »

According to wildlife Dep: we cannot go by a vehicle. Do we need to walk a long ?

It is the last bit where the road is rough. A van should do fine. Even if you can't take the vehicle up to the bungalow it will be a very short walk (less than 500m). I'm surprised that the wildlife people told you that you can't take a vehicle to Maha-Eliya bungalow. May be they mistook that you were inquiring about the camp sites where there is about 600m you have to walk inside the park from the entance. May be you want to double check this with them again.

What are the other attracting places that we can visit if we stay for about three days ?

Check this. - Horton Plains (Maha-Eliya) Heaven on Earth, 2100m Above Sea Level

Sri

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 09:10:38 PM »

Hi Suranga,

I was there last December and we went there in a van and we had no problem taking the van to the bungalow.

kosala
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 12:01:44 AM »

Hi Mithila;
Is this the building you refer to as 'Maha Eliya Wild Life Department Bungalow'?, With Solar Powered Hot water system on the roof, it looks so.

We passed this building on 15/04 /2010, about 1km (as I remember) before the Visitor Center at Horton Plains. At that time it looked deserted, may be closed for New Year. I do not remember the access road to it but the main road is motorable by any car even though the road conditions were very poor . I saw a number of small cars (Maruthi 800s, Honda Jazzes and a small Peroduwa kelisa) at the visitor center car park.  These small cars have managed it to the end but the problem would be for the saloon cars with low ground clearance, long overhang and soft suspension.
I drove my Corolla L-Touring but did not face much difficulties as I have my car modified (jacked-up Suspensions, Harder coil springs, Larger wheels and modified cambers) for bad road conditions.
In my view, any ordinary car, carefully driven, will be able to go to Horton plains except those with very low ground clearance, longer over hangs and very soft suspension. I have to say, never the less, that my comment does not include the access road to that Bungalow.

Kosala

« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 12:06:55 AM by kosala » Logged
mithila
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 12:47:20 AM »

Is this the building you refer to as 'Maha Eliya Wild Life Department Bungalow'?, With Solar Powered Hot water system on the roof, it looks so.

Yes

I do not remember the access road to it

From the main road, there is a 100m or so to get to the building where you can park. That is what I referred to as the access road.  Smiley

chaturangar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 01:06:56 PM »

To share some information...

* Now, Maha Eliya bangalaw also have a hot water system.
* There is a new dometry inside the part. 30 people can stay at a time  and cost per one person is very small (around Rs: 200) as I heart.

You can get more information from the malabe wild life office....

Hope this helps.....
Randy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 11:24:43 PM »

Hi Mithila,

Nice post, informative.

To share my experience with this facility, I stayed in this bungalow back in 2006. It was such a wonderful place to stay as early in the mornings the surrounding truly becomes magical. You must wake upto see the first light of day. Herds of elk gather around, although they are quite shy and will move away if you advance on them.

It also is ideal for birding as there are flocks of them at dawn and dusk. sizeable groups of jungle fowl are seen around the bungalow at dawn and at slightest disturbance will melt into the bushes. During one half os the year you will see ground front around the place, which is a unique experience in SL. the grass turn greyish during the colder months as the night plunge to 3-5 centigrade and the grasses become crystalline in the morning even well after sunrise.

When I visited in 2006 we reserved all 3 bungalows operational at the time. two inclusing the Mahaeliya bungalow were dormitory and the one near the park entrance was bungalow type old structure. There is a larger one accommodating more people off Ohiya road if memory serves me correct

Eco warrior, explorer!
Namal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 12:03:32 AM »

I know a number of people who have seen leopard at night walking  by the bungalow

Enjoy nature while you still can, it's not going to be there forever.
www.zero3images.com
Sheham
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 12:12:30 AM »

I know a number of people who have seen leopard at night walking  by the bungalow

this is interesting,
Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists

Tags: Horton Plains | 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: