Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Horse Mountain - Kudiramalai Point, Wilpattu  (Read 2722 times)
dulip

View Profile
« on: November 24, 2010, 08:39:14 AM »

Horse Mountain - Kudiramalai Point, Wilpattu

Horse Mountain is also known as Kudiramalai point, and is part of the Wilpattu National Park

One story that I heard was that there was a large statue of a horse, with the rider holding a lantern at the top of the cliff. And that this is how the name "Horse Mountain" came to be.

The navy has put up a very informative board. According to it, there had been a 35 foot tall statue of a horse with its front legs in mid air and a man holding its reigns.

Another story from the navy board is that this was a port used to export pearls to arab countries, and in exchange, arab horses were brought in from this port, giving it the name.

It is also believed that this is the place that Vijaya and his shipload of followers landed, on the beach of Thambapanni. The soil here is copper red.

* DSC_0235.JPG (194.41 KB, 1056x1600 - viewed 117 times.)
dulip

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 08:49:30 AM »

This trip report by Dinesh has more pictures of Kudiramalai

http://trips.lakdasun.com/wilpattu-national-park-horse-mountain-thumbapanni.htm
viraj

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 09:12:14 PM »

Hi Dulip.

Thanks for bring out this interesting information. Cheesy
and thanks Dinesh also for sharing an informative trip report. Wink

BR

viraj

More travel experiences in Sri Lanka, visit :
http://www.traveljournals.net/travelers/viraj/journals/
ĂΜϊĻ

ẄϊĐ ẄϊĐ Ẅĕ$Ť

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 05:04:18 AM »

Hello Dulip,

Interesting to read.
So much to learn.  Wink

Cheers,
Amila

Drinking Nature is an unquenchable thirst..... !!!
Vajira

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 08:53:49 PM »

Hi Friends,

I visited Kudiramale Point a couple of days ago and what really amazed me was the geography of the place. The place looks like  a landscape from another planet ! The tracker who went with me said that it is believed that  there could have been a meteorite crash in ancient times giving rise to this 'queer' landscape. I think that a geologist should examine samples of rocks and sand from Kudiramale to determine the composition of this formation.

If there is any research done on Kudiramale, can someone knowledgeable please publish them on this site..

Regards
Vajira
charith

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 09:26:22 AM »

Another story I heard is that there were four statues made by ancient kings facing to the four directions with statues of 4 animals symbolizing that they will guard the country from each sides, & Kudiramale was selected as the western coastal point for the statue & horse was the selected animal to that side. But still there are no any clues about statues at other 3 direction....

Any ides on that.....
Dinesh Deckker

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 02:58:16 AM »

On the North End of the Horse Mountain there are some remainings of a structure. Some believe that was a Kovil, which could been possible. Because King Chandra-Mukka-Siva who lived 600 before  Vijaya came to Sri Lanka (According to Naturalis Historia - Plainy) is obviously a Hindu. Because of the "Siva" part. But some historians say there was a 35 feet Horse Statue on the north End. But I haven't heard about statues on the other direction.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 03:15:51 AM by Panthera Pardus Kotiya » Logged

Nade Gura Travel & Conservation Society (Registered)| (www.nadegura.com)
Sheham
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 04:57:06 AM »

On the North End of the Horse Mountain there are some remainings of a structure. Some believe that was a Kovil, which could been possible. Because King Chandra-Mukka-Siva who lived 600 before  Vijaya came to Sri Lanka (According to Naturalis Historia - Plainy) is obviously a Hindu. Because of the "Siva" part. But some historians say there was a 35 feet Horse Statue on the north End. But I haven't heard about statues on the other direction.

very intresting indeed, I haven't been there yet. Would like to read about it
Dinesh Deckker

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 08:19:43 AM »

yes indeed...
Its very interesting...

Sheham
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 07:15:35 PM »

yes indeed...
Its very interesting...

will you be able to share some pictures & travel details?
Dinesh Deckker

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 08:27:23 PM »

will you be able to share some pictures & travel details?

http://trips.lakdasun.org/wilpattu-national-park-horse-mountain-thumbapanni.htm

Sheham
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 09:20:15 PM »

Hi PPS

Thanks, Wonderful report & super pictures!!!!!!!!!!

....oh just noticed..........this is my good friend's trip report used to be here in this forum long ago. He used to have so many.

Thanks anyway

Kind Regards
Sheham
Namal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 12:20:24 AM »

I have spoken to people who went here in the 60's (before most of u were born), and they said at that time it was clearly visible, that a statue of a horse existed there. At that time all that remained was foot of the horse, and that it would have been facing the see. I was one of the first people to go to Kudurmalie point when the part was reopened in 2003. I looked very hard for this but was unable to find it. Perhaps the jungle had taken over, or vandals and treasure hunters had done the need full. All I found was a tomb, supposed to belong to a Muslim saint.  I was told that the location of the statue is where navy camp is currently located

Enjoy nature while you still can, it's not going to be there forever.
www.zero3images.com
Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists

Tags: Wilpattu | 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: