Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists
November 23, 2017, 03:10:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Lakdasun forum has changed its face! Spend few minutes to get yourself familiar with the new look.

Home   Forum Home   Help Search Tags Login Register Email Admin  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dothalugala Forest Department Camp Site and Dormitory - Deanston, Knuckles  (Read 18666 times)
HARINDA

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 10:35:12 AM »

Hi All

This is to clear doubts and contradictions about the above camp site and dormitory.

Me and my parents and Sanketha with his family and parents went on a trip to deanston reticently .
Actually we wanted to book the camp cabin or so called Dormitory in Dothalugala.
so i went to FD office and told my request.
then they asked whether i want to book camp site or Dormitory. I said the dormitory (but i really meant the camp cabin which is mentioned in the pic 1.)

But when i inquired later i came to know that they have given me the dormitory close to Deanston Conservation center ( Opposite ot the DCC) . which is mentioned in pic 2 Huh Roll Eyes Undecided

So my friends if you really want to book the Camp cabin, don't use the word Dormitory as they will misunderstand .Just say you want to book the camp site. Cabin and Camping area included in the same package

When you book camp site you will be allowed to camp at separate camping area  ( there are now three camping beds closer to each other ) Pic 3.
Also they will give the above mentioned camp cabin for Free..........So remember again the cabin and the camping area are included in to the same package not separately.  Smiley

The fact is why there is a separate covered building as a cabin in that campsite. Probably due to following

1.If there is a large group, to accommodate the extra people . giving too choices to the group some one can camp and some can sleep inside the cabin
2.if the wind or rain unbearable at camp site  ,they can get in to cabin without descend 2kms all they way to DCC.
Remember there are no beds, tables,chairs or attache bathrooms which we normally expect in a dormitory/bungalow)
It's just a building with two empty rooms.
PIC 4

And if you want to book the dormitory( With normal facilities in a FD bungalow  just say deanston Conservation center ( Deanston Sancharaka Madyasthanaya )

So in inadvertently have booked the Sancharaka madaysthanaya bungalow/dormitory. but finally it came good as it was so comfortable for elderly persons and kids ( Both Our parents and  and Sanketha's kid) than the camp cabin.......so we enjoyed the "peraluna pita honda weema "  Cheesy Grin ;)and spent a good holiday there

Some comparison of these too places as follows

Deanston Dormitory ( Near Dcc)                                 Camp site

Location                      Just opposite to the DCC ( otherside oftherd)                 2 kms away from dcc (in dothalugala base)

How to reach               you can reach by any vehical                                        4 WD is needed for the 2 km stretch          

Nature                         Holiday bungalow with two rooms with attached             3 camping beds for putting tents
                                   bathrooms, conference room ,visitor, Dinning room          small camp cabin ( 100metresaway)
                                   now they have hydro electricity ,Nice garden                  separate kitchen, separate toilet ,waterfall
                                                                                                                    &  Natural  pool, no electricity.
                                                                                                                     you have to carry kerosine and pick lanterns  

Accommodation              9 people ..4 in one room, 5 in other ( 9 beds)                 No beds in camp cabin , you have to
                                                                                                                    put mattress(they will provide) and sleep.
                                                                                                                    Camping beds - nearly 16, Cabin (10-12)

Cook                           available ( very helpful one called Kumara )                      you can ask

Weather                      chilly at night but bearable                                            very cold at night so not recommend fr elderly

Rates                          Rs. 2,016/- per night ( Unbelievable )                                 Rs. 4,400/- per night

Places to visit             Mini Wolds end ( Easy from here )                                      Mini Wolds end
                                Dothalugala Nature trail                                                   Dothalugala Nature trail( Easy from here )    

Other things are same as in booking FD bungalows or camp sites..............

So now you can decide what is suitable for a family trip and what is suitable for a adventurous + relax . For me God had decided that and we just had to enjoy.......hoping try camp site with young guns  Wink

For your info FD tel no 0112 875540

Hope this will help you some how when are you planning a trip to deanston

Cheers

HARI

* P1070115.JPG (335.79 KB, 800x600 - viewed 15 times.)

* P1070044.JPG (409.53 KB, 800x600 - viewed 18 times.)

* P1070207.JPG (398.7 KB, 800x600 - viewed 22 times.)

* P1070219.JPG (340.52 KB, 800x600 - viewed 15 times.)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 10:49:42 AM by HARINDA » Logged

The Way You Think, You Become
Amran Athas

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2014, 02:17:02 PM »

Hi Harinda bro,

Thank you so much for the information. Indeed the price for the bungalow is very cheap and unbelievable. thanks again for the information.
Cheers!!!

Best regards,

Amran Athas

The earth has music for those who listen.
Sheham
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2014, 07:22:00 PM »

Hi Harinda

Thanks for the detailed information
KasunDes
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2014, 09:15:40 PM »

Hello Harinda,

Thanks for the details.

btw, let me add some comments.

1. Reaching the camp site - 4WD is not a must. anything with good ground clearance is fine. BUT NO CARS..!

2. Camp cabin - when it rains heavy it gets damp inside the camp cabin. we went there back in 2011, it was raining cats and dogs, and camp cabin was unusable. water was flowing above the cabin floor. not sure if the things have improved.

3. camp site - excellent view point. must be spectacular in the morning (but we missed it badly due to the rain)

BR,
Kasun
amilawuk

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2014, 11:08:32 PM »

Thanks for the info Harinda.
Hasitha KM

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2014, 02:01:48 AM »

Hi all,

1. Reaching the camp site - 4WD is not a must. anything with good ground clearance is fine. BUT NO CARS..!

Agreed. During our visit we walked. I felt as the distance is more than  2km.

3. camp site - excellent view point. must be spectacular in the morning (but we missed it badly due to the rain)

Yes it is an excellent view point. Specially the sun rise is spectacular.

If it is raining, leaches can be uncountable. so prepare for it seriously if you are travelling on rainy days.

They have good Journey mattresses, lanterns and tents. But details of the tents given by colombo office can be misleading. Mattresses and lanterns are  OK.

BR
Hasitha

Aim for the stars... At least you will land on the Coconut Trees...!
Sri Abeywickrema

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2014, 10:15:42 PM »

Hi Hariya

Well, this is exactly how one should share the info. Detailed and precise.
I'm sure this will help so many people in the future and hope we all take the trouble to do the same making the lives of others easy...
Thanks buddy so much for this...
Cheers

ind007ka

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2014, 07:56:56 PM »

THANKS ALL UPDATING THE CURRENT SITUATION ABOUT THIS PLACE....
Tony

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2014, 09:09:58 PM »

Hi Hariya...

Great information for guys who wanted to go this area. nice place to be but rain or not pleanty of blood suckers here so prepare to donate blood!!!. if u are going on rainy season be careful about earthslips...

Cheers!!!

Tony

Be like a Human, act like a Human and die like a Human
Ashan253
Global Moderator

"Wild"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2014, 06:52:10 AM »

very detailed harinda. good stuff!

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet
and the wind longs to play with your hair."
HARINDA

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2014, 09:08:53 AM »

thanks all
cheers

HARI

The Way You Think, You Become
irangak

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2015, 10:34:38 PM »

Hi ,

Is this a good time to travel this area. ?

Irangak
Ashan253
Global Moderator

"Wild"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2015, 12:19:34 AM »

Hi ,

Is this a good time to travel this area. ?

Irangak
yes....

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet
and the wind longs to play with your hair."
Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists

Tags: Knuckles | Dumbara | Deanston | Dothalugala | 
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: