Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this Nelu?  (Read 886 times)
dilshan

View Profile
« on: August 26, 2010, 04:51:48 AM »

Hi, I saw this plant at Sinharaja in Pitadeniya area. The guide said that this is a Nelu plant. Is it the same species that found in Horton place? Please elaborate if any one knows.

* Nelu1.jpg (418.02 KB, 783x588 - viewed 20 times.)

* Nelu.jpg (413.34 KB, 783x588 - viewed 16 times.)
Bushana
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 10:41:38 PM »

Hi Dlshan
Your guide is correct and it is a Strobilanthes (S: Nelu) species. But I am not in a position to name its exact botanical name. There are at least 30 species of Nelu (some more varieties under few of those species) in Sri Lanka and excluding 2-3 species all others are endemic to us and some of them may have been already extincted and also further taxonomic reviews would be resulted with discovering of new species as well in future. So far at least 18 species of Strobilanthes are reported from Horton plains and this one might be one of them(or not).
Bshana

Explore the rich and unique biodiversity of the Sri Lanka - Visit http://biodiversityofsrilanka.blogspot.com
dilshan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 06:50:16 AM »

Dear Bushana,
Thanks a lot for ur detailed reply. Once I found some beautiful species of Nelu in Horton Plains with beautiful purple color flowers. (Not like these flowers) It's said that Nelu is blooming once in a seven years.
Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists

Tags:
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: