Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Ceylon Hotel Corporation rest houses - all over the country  (Read 8317 times)
jayathurms

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2010, 11:40:58 PM »

When it comes to stop overs for food and recharging the batteries  Wink, I have found Ceylon Hotel Corporation rest houses extremely convenient and well maintained. I have visited the following places and liked all of them.
- (A1) Ambepussa
- (A7) Kithulgala
- (A4) Belihuloya
- (A5) Pussella
- (A23) Ella

Food was excellent but somewhat pricey and the bathroom facilities were also good.

"We are part of the earth and it is part of us. The perfumed flowers are our sisters. The bear, the deer, the great eagle, these are our brothers. The rocky crests, the dew in the meadow, the body heat of the pony, and man all belong to the same family." - Chief Seattle
viraj

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 09:00:28 PM »

Hi Jayathurms.

I have been to Kithulgala, Belihuloya & Ambepussa rest houses.
YES, those are really nice and cool colonial type rest houses. Wink 

Regards,

viraj

More travel experiences in Sri Lanka, visit :
http://www.traveljournals.net/travelers/viraj/journals/
manu

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 11:16:00 PM »

A map for anyone interested:
http://www.ceylonhotels.lk/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=34&Itemid=29
Lalith

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 12:17:58 AM »

The worst place I visited was CHC Sigiriya rest house. Rooms are very dirty with lots of fallen hair, uncleaned, damaged bathrooms and very dirty common living area due to stray dogs staying there (inside the hotel premices)
Some food stuff bringing from outside places such as devilled / fried lake fish dishes.
Lots of threewheeler guys coming to the place as they sell hard liquer and in the night smoke is every where due to their "local clients" use to visit here as evening gatheing point for a drink.
But according to this website this is a nice location

Regards - lalith
acweligamage

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 07:12:37 AM »

When it comes to stop overs for food and recharging the batteries  Wink, I have found Ceylon Hotel Corporation rest houses extremely convenient and well maintained. I have visited the following places and liked all of them.
- (A1) Ambepussa
- (A7) Kithulgala
- (A4) Belihuloya
- (A5) Pussella
- (A23) Ella

Food was excellent but somewhat pricey and the bathroom facilities were also good.
Can someone tell me the lowest list of Hotel corporation hotels/ resorts... I have a plane to visit one of those nice , cool, location in my vacation
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 07:14:27 AM by acweligamage » Logged
Lalith

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 08:44:48 PM »

Hi
When it comes for pricing if you are looking for low cost you may encounter some unplesent experiences as well. This I'm telling you with my experience with CHC hotels (upto 2009 but I can't comment there after). Eventhough CHC is now under Gall Face Hotels management, they do not maintain all of their hotels in a same manner thay maintain their main hotels. But Grand Ella Motel, Swiss Hotel, Kandy, Queens Hotel Kandy and recently renovated Tissamaharaam Resort is well maintained,
Worst locations are Sigiriya rest house and Hotel Seruwa, Polonnaruwa...you may read my comment under this post for further details.
Regards
Lalith
jayathurms

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 12:22:35 AM »

Can someone tell me the lowest list of Hotel corporation hotels/ resorts... I have a plane to visit one of those nice , cool, location in my vacation

Hi,

You can find the list of CHC hotels from here. http://www.ceylonhotels.lk/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=34&Itemid=37
Think they are upgrading most of their places. I had the chance of stopping over at the Pussella rest House last month and was very impressed by the face lift they have given specially inside the rooms. Hope their other aging hotels are also renovated and opened soon. Smiley

BR,
Jayathu

"We are part of the earth and it is part of us. The perfumed flowers are our sisters. The bear, the deer, the great eagle, these are our brothers. The rocky crests, the dew in the meadow, the body heat of the pony, and man all belong to the same family." - Chief Seattle
Lalith

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 07:54:21 PM »

This story / news is about Sigiriya Rest House managed by CHC (Ceylon Hotels Corporation)
I spoke to the reporter Mr. Kanchana Ariyadasa (0773 416 157) obtained all the details for the benefit of all Lakdasun members as me too experienced unpleasant situation over there.

http://www.lankadeepa.lk/2011/07/12/front_news/07.htm
SNW

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 07:15:48 PM »

Dear Friends

Have you recently been to CHC's  Heritage, Weligama ? 
Tony

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 07:39:26 PM »

Apart from Sigiriya Rest , even Blihuloya rest is not properly maintained , recently when we were passing Belihuloya on a rainy day we just went there to hv a cup of tea, the entire restuarant was wet , water was leaking from all over the roof and the worst was the ladies wash room as well as gents was occupied by DOGS.
The old glory not to be seen and it was confirmed by one of my mate had a visit there about a week back.   

Tony

Be like a Human, act like a Human and die like a Human
Ashan253
Global Moderator

"Wild"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 11:48:00 PM »

Apart from Sigiriya Rest , even Blihuloya rest is not properly maintained , recently when we were passing Belihuloya on a rainy day we just went there to hv a cup of tea, the entire restuarant was wet , water was leaking from all over the roof and the worst was the ladies wash room as well as gents was occupied by DOGS.
The old glory not to be seen and it was confirmed by one of my mate had a visit there about a week back.   

Tony
and tony as i remember a tea cup is 100 bucks too  Grin Grin

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet
and the wind longs to play with your hair."
harsha

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 02:33:59 AM »

I agree 100% on the quality of Hotels Corporation rest houses. In fact as most of you would know they are no longer managed by the "Hotels Corporation" but by the Gall Face Hotels chain for the last may be 7-8 years. (Not sure even this has changed now). The days that it was the real Hotel Coporation, well - it was a different story. Prices were always towards the high end, but you always were guranteed of the best food, service, other facilities - most of all that untouchable touch of the old "Ceylon"  - throughout all the rest houses alike. (At least Kitulgala, Ambepussa, Ella, Thissamaharamaya, Weligma, Pussellawa, Dambulla and Polonnanruwa - and of cause my favorite those days, the farr-inn at Horton Plains;) I am sure somwhat elderly folks like me would agree to this. I am sad and sometimes annoyed about the downtrend of the rest houses from the day the management was changed.

Hope the new "upgrade" will re-claim the old touch again (I have my doubts). Having seen the Weligama last week from outside (It was too early to go in), I felt they are only "dressing up" the place. I hope I am wrong. 

Anyone remember farr-inn; the cozy little cottage managed by the Hotels Corporation before the place was "ruined" to the current main office and information center? I am too not "for" having privately managed places within national parks, but I simply miss the place.

Harsha
Ananda Welikala

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 04:47:19 AM »

Hi Harsha,
Nice to see another "Old Foggie" like me on the forum and talking about Farr Inn.

Yes that was one place you could rest after a hard walk to Worlds End and/or Baker' Falls. Sadly it is now "NO ONES BABY". I remember the times in the early '80 when it was a ideal spot to enjoy HP. I am sure you may remember the times when there was no barrier or WD Office like now and you could take a 4WD 1/2 way to Worlds End. I don't think that was a good practice but those were the days.

Getting onto the Privatization of Rest Houses, it may be as a result of "open economic" policies adopted by successive Govts. Sadly the days of well trained Waiters are no more. As you say the service is very poor, mostly patronized by the "Townies" for an evening drink. The price of food has risen and the quality has dropped. That' a result of profit motivation while ignoring service levels. Cant expect anything more in the scenario the Rest Houses are in.

BTW try the Hatton Rest House...ghastly...

I rest my case now.

Regds

Ana
I agree 100% on the quality of Hotels Corporation rest houses. In fact as most of you would know they are no longer managed by the "Hotels Corporation" but by the Gall Face Hotels chain for the last may be 7-8 years. (Not sure even this has changed now). The days that it was the real Hotel Coporation, well - it was a different story. Prices were always towards the high end, but you always were guranteed of the best food, service, other facilities - most of all that untouchable touch of the old "Ceylon"  - throughout all the rest houses alike. (At least Kitulgala, Ambepussa, Ella, Thissamaharamaya, Weligma, Pussellawa, Dambulla and Polonnanruwa - and of cause my favorite those days, the farr-inn at Horton Plains;) I am sure somwhat elderly folks like me would agree to this. I am sad and sometimes annoyed about the downtrend of the rest houses from the day the management was changed.

Hope the new "upgrade" will re-claim the old touch again (I have my doubts). Having seen the Weligama last week from outside (It was too early to go in), I felt they are only "dressing up" the place. I hope I am wrong. 

Anyone remember farr-inn; the cozy little cottage managed by the Hotels Corporation before the place was "ruined" to the current main office and information center? I am too not "for" having privately managed places within national parks, but I simply miss the place.

Harsha

Ana
harsha

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 07:03:24 PM »

Ana,

Hei - thanks for the wonderful reply. Unfortunately, I could only got my hands on to serious travelling towards mid nineties - and those days they allowed your 4WD to be taken up to the camp site if you have booked one. You had to unload your stuff and bring the vehicle back to the gate, and you can take it back on the day of return to pack your things. You could take your 4WD right down to the camp site 2 and it was our favorite choice those days due to this very fact. Yep - you have two sides of the coin, but I feel it's good that they stopped this.
I agree with you on every word about Hotel Corporation. Yeah, agree about the Hatton Rest House, however this was always managed by UDA I think (not by CHC) so it wasn't in the same league anyway.         

Cheers

Harsha

Tony

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 09:00:04 PM »

Hi Ana/Harsha,

ha..ha.. oldies....... shall we have a oldies camp/ hiking or a daredevill ride - atleast for the over 40's to enjoy abit with nature.. Wink Cheesy Tongue I think there is a large over 40 community with lakdasun.
talking about HP my favourite route was from Dayagama by vehicle which is now not allowed to vehicles.

Cheers!!!

Tony

Be like a Human, act like a Human and die like a Human
Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists

Tags: kitulgala | 
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: