Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists
October 23, 2017, 09:51:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Lakdasun forum has changed its face! Spend few minutes to get yourself familiar with the new look.

Home   Forum Home   Help Search Tags Login Register Email Admin  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Martin's Lodge - Sinharaja, Kudawa  (Read 16240 times)
mithila
Global Moderator

@ N: 06 47.85 | E: 079 53.38

View Profile WWW
« on: May 02, 2008, 09:09:14 AM »

Basic eco-lodge located at Kudawa close to the entrance of the Sinharaja rain forest. I'm a regular visitor to this place and for me this is by far the best accommodation option at Kudawa. Martin's contact number: 0455681864

More on Sinharaja and Kudawa Conservation Centre: www.lakdasun.com/attractions/attraction_03.htm

« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 10:18:50 AM by lakdasun » Logged

Man did not weave the web of life. He is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web of life, he does to himself. | Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you!
malakar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 09:50:51 PM »

Any recommendations on Blue Magpie Lodge?

Martin's is booked for August/ September every week-end.

Thank you,

Malaka
Gihan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 10:25:59 PM »

I haven't been there but I have heard that the facilities are of basic nature and staff is helpful and friendly.

Malaka, please do post your experience if you go there so we know for a sure from some one we can trust.

Thanks
hds

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 03:20:19 AM »

I went there during 3rd week of December.. Let me tell you my opinion about the place.
It is one of those places when you go you sort of feel disconnected from the rest of the world. No TV or any other means of entertainment to hold you on to. It is only you and the nature. As a result you would go to sleep early because you have nothing to do  And you would wake up early.  Ideal for bird watching. It is very clean. Although I wished there were shower curtains so the whole bathroom wont get wet when you shower. But I tell you the bathrooms are very clean. But everything is very basic. With that comes the issue of the price you pay, one might argue for the facilities you get the price is too much. But I found it quite reasonable. Then the food is amazing. It goes with the theme. You get very traditional Sri Lankan food. Nicely made and it blends with the whole experience.
Liquor and what not: Please don't go there if that s what s on your mind. But a nice shot of Whiskey after a long day of walking in the forest could be golden. 
I recommend this place to you.
Soaring Eagle

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 11:29:59 PM »

Agreed with above post.  Stayed there on 09th and 10th January.  What a wonderful experience! I wish everday of my life is that serene.  Didn't get any rain for two days.  Mr. Wickramasinge will make sure your stay will be a pleasent one without intruding.  Thanks Lakdasun for earlier suggestion.
Sheham
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 03:21:17 AM »

I was trying to book in on the 14th Jan, unfortunately they said it is full. Next alternative (suggested by the members of the forum) was The Blue Magpie lodge. paid 5,500 for 3 people full board. Very good food... (Srilankan food).

btw, how much does it cost at Martin's?

Sheham
somi

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 01:27:56 PM »

Hello,

I booked 3 nights in January 2012 at Martins Lodge...
I hope I booked it because the woman I called couldn't speak English. Do you know if I can call someone who speaks English there?
One question: we will have no car. The woman told me (if I understand it) that there is a little "restaurant" where we can eat. Is it right?
In our German book I read that you have to bring your own food and there is no fridge at Martins???
Is there electricity in the room to load the batteries of the camera?

Regards,
Somi
Harien de Mel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 08:10:56 PM »

I hope I booked it because the woman I called couldn't speak English. Do you know if I can call someone who speaks English there?

Ask for Martin, he speaks English.

The woman told me (if I understand it) that there is a little "restaurant" where we can eat. Is it right?
In our German book I read that you have to bring your own food and there is no fridge at Martins???

You can buy food from there. May be it's already included in your price.

Is there electricity in the room to load the batteries of the camera?

They don't have sockets in rooms, but there are a few in the common area. You can use them.

/Harien

Namal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 03:55:22 AM »

martin's rates are usually inclusive of meals. You can take provisions but we have never been served what we take. if there are foreigners staying when u go  the food will not be spicy. The food used to be hopeless, but has now improved, still a very simple meal. If you stay for anything over 3 nights you will get tired of the food as they have a very limited range in terms of variety.  We always take chutneys and other such accompaniments to jazz up the meals.

Enjoy nature while you still can, it's not going to be there forever.
www.zero3images.com
somi

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 02:53:56 PM »

Because I am a foreigner I think it will be good for me if the food is not too spicy ;-)
The truth is: I am looking forward to all the delicious Sri Lankan food...

BTW: Do you know if I can buy water (bottles) from Martin? Or to I have to take the water for the 3 days before I arrive in Kudawa?
mithila
Global Moderator

@ N: 06 47.85 | E: 079 53.38

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 08:22:09 PM »

BTW: Do you know if I can buy water (bottles) from Martin? Or to I have to take the water for the 3 days before I arrive in Kudawa?

Not sure whether Martin has bottled water for sale but you don't need bottled water in Sinharaja. Free flowing water in Sinharaja is fit for drinking straight form the sourcewithout treatment. You can drink straight from the Tap Wink

Man did not weave the web of life. He is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web of life, he does to himself. | Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you!
kasfig

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2013, 02:29:39 PM »

Please does anyone have an email address and / or phone no.s for Martin's Lodge or Blue Magpie Lodge as I wish to find out accommodation charges and food options.

Any help would be gratefully received
Ian
Niroshan
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2013, 06:06:10 PM »

Hi
Martin's lodge 0455681864
Blue mapgie 0773206203 but nobody answer for this number  Huh
Birds paradise kudawa 0718018186
kasfig

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2013, 03:20:56 PM »

Dear Niroshan
Thank you I do appreciate this information very much!
Ian
billiecue

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2016, 03:59:24 AM »

Hi Mithila,
I am ornitthologist and naturalist and plan to go to Martin's Lodge at the end of March.
Could you please give me some information how to get there ? It's inside the forest and I guess, a 4 wheel car is necessary.

Coming from Colombo, which is the easiest way to get there ?

If I have to rent a jeep with driver, from which town would it be the cheapest ?

Thanking you in advance,
best regards,
billiecue

Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists

Tags: sinharaja | Kudawa | 
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: