Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Any place to accomodate near Mee-mure?  (Read 15039 times)
Asanke

Logo...

View Profile WWW
« on: May 08, 2008, 09:28:21 PM »

Can anyone suggest an accommodation near Mee-mure or Rana-mure? The requirement is to just to sped a night for 13 odd people. Should be economical.
Thanks in advance....

"Lets protect the protector"
mithila
Global Moderator

@ N: 06 47.85 | E: 079 53.38

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 02:28:08 AM »

Asanke,

The most economical would be the forest department camp site at Deenstan. I have also camped out at Kayikawela (the village before Mee-mure) on Loolwaththa - Meemure road . There is a nice open area close to the river at Kayikawela where you can set up a peaceful camp.

If you want to stay close to Ranamure, plan to stay at Pallegama. Once we stayed at Ranamure temple as well.

If you are looking

Mithila

Man did not weave the web of life. He is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web of life, he does to himself. | Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you!
asela

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 07:06:41 AM »

Asanke aiye,
U can stay in Kaikawala temple , we stayed that place in 2006 from our way 2 Mee mure. There was a one monk @ that time in that temple. Wink
asela
Ranishka
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 11:50:41 AM »

Asanke,
Another option would be to stay at Meemure school. If you are planing to go there during the weekend there wont be any problems. If not camp in Meemure or Kaikawala, thats a realy experience.

Ranishka
Asanke

Logo...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 04:53:49 AM »

Thanks all for the valuable options.I think we might use the camping option. Smiley
Are there any popular/experienced/tried out trails around the place. Out main aim in the journey would be birding.
Asanke

Ranishka
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 05:20:13 AM »

Asanke,
There are lots of trails through Meemure where you could experience the true beauty of Knuckles. But if your main objective is birding, I would suggest you take the trail to Narangamuwa through the forest. Since Lakdasun yet to publish a trail guide on this, you will have to depend on local knowledge, they are very friendly people and will definitely help you guys. The journey takes about six hours to reach Narangamuwa, you can stay at Narangamuwa temple or camp there also.
Have a nice journey and enjoy the beauty of Knuckles.

Ranishka
Asanke

Logo...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 09:01:45 AM »

Ranishka Ayya,

How long it will take to reach to Meemure school from the last motorable place on Pallegama road? Is this Narangamuwa is on that road? We are planning to go through Pallegama & to stay the night at Meemure. Is there any way to return from Meemure other than via Loolwatta?

mithila
Global Moderator

@ N: 06 47.85 | E: 079 53.38

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 11:14:11 AM »

Yes, Naragomuwa is the last motorable place which can be reached from Pallegama. Few years back they had small vans doing the public transport between Narangomuwa and Pallegama town. If I remember correct it took us abouot 4 hours to walk from Meemure to Naragomuwa (Ranishka correct me if I'm wrong). If you plan to travel to Pallegama from Colombo and then spend the night at Meemure in the same day, it will be a bit of a stretch in terms of time. If you can be at Pallegama early in the morning you can reach Meemure via Narangomuwa to sped night at Meemure.

From Meemure, the easiest exist to civilization is at Hunnasgiriya on Kandy - Mahiyanganaya road   via loolwaththa.

Alternatively you can cross Knuckles via Kalupahana and reach Banbarella on the other side of Knuckles from Meemure but that it self is a two day hike  Smiley

Man did not weave the web of life. He is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web of life, he does to himself. | Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you!
Ranishka
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 11:27:28 PM »

Hi Asanke,
As Mithila suggested, it is better to start your journey early as possible, it took 6 hours (not 4 hours) for us to travel from Meemure to Narangamuwa. You may have to spend bit more time for that journey since you are planning to travel with about 20 people.
I guess it take about 1 hour by bus to travel to Narangamuwa from Pallegama.

Ranishka
Asanke

Logo...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 11:44:02 PM »

Thank you all for the valuable guide lines to our journey.
We took our way via Hunnasgiriya -> Loolwatta. The journey was quite exiting one with few hours stop at the Corbets Gap. We were looking for the Crestless Lizard (Calotes liocephalus) at the Coberts gap . But was not able to sight any.
The road from Loolwatta to Kayikawala is under construction. the project lays concrete on the road so that the vehicle transportation is prohibited some times. (We had that difficulty) Sad
Due to that we could not get in to the  trail to Narangamuwa through forest as we planned.
but happy to say that we had a good count of butterfly sightings.

If you any of you are planing to visit the place it is advisable to check the construction status of the road. Best is to use the road via Pallegama.  Smiley

KDS

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 10:40:42 AM »

Hi,
Thanks for everyone on the forum. Few days back I visited to Meemure. Info on the forum was really helpful in our journey.
We went there by the public transportation. First we got down from kandy and came to Theldeniya ( via Madawela rd) by bus. From theldeniya, we got the bus to Hunnasgiriya.
There are abt 3 km to Deanston camp site from Hunnasgiriya. As said above, Deanston is the best place to stay while traveling to Meemure. There are 3 wheelers and one driver agreed to drop us to Deanston just for Rs. 300.  We spent one night at Deanston and set off to Meemure on next day.
Deanston is not so close to Meemure. From there, We got a 3 wheeler to Meemure and that was abt 25 Km from Deanston. After 2 and half hrs drive through a rough route, we got to Meemure.

This is not the best way to get there but there may be sm other alternatives as well.

kivindra
samanjanaka

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 02:05:10 AM »

hi
Isuppose to be go to meemure during 2014 February 14 to 16 long weekend.
me and my wife only. please tell me is it ok to go couple of us alone or its dangerous?  if ok can u sagest me any safe accommodation option for us. and can we reach meemure with the ordinary car?
thanks
saman

Sri Abeywickrema

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 04:07:32 AM »

hi
me and my wife only. please tell me is it ok to go couple of us alone or its dangerous?  if ok can u sagest me any safe accommodation option for us. and can we reach meemure with the ordinary car?
thanks
saman
Hi Saman
You can go there in a car but I'm not sure the road conditions like after the monsoon rains in Dec and Jan. Anyway they were building the road and it seemed to take forever and I doubt it'll be done by then.
You can stay at Nava Mama's place and no danger at all. Call him and check the condition of the road too...
Check my report here:
http://trips.lakdasun.org/jaunting-off-to-the-most-beautiful-village-on-earth-meemure.htm
Cheers

samanjanaka

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 02:48:54 PM »

hi
thanks
saman
Hi Saman
You can go there in a car but I'm not sure the road conditions like after the monsoon rains in Dec and Jan. Anyway they were building the road and it seemed to take forever and I doubt it'll be done by then.
You can stay at Nava Mama's place and no danger at all. Call him and check the condition of the road too...
Check my report here:
http://trips.lakdasun.org/jaunting-off-to-the-most-beautiful-village-on-earth-meemure.htm
Cheers
Thanks Abeywickrema for your help ill call him and ask...... thanks again
samanjanaka

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2013, 10:59:31 PM »

hi friends,
is "Deanston" camp site only or they have circuit bungalow.
can you please tell me what is this place. can we accommodate there?

http://trips.lakdasun.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/image0058.jpg

seems to be Very nice place
thanx
Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists

Tags: Knuckles | Dumbara | Meemure | Pallegama | Camping | 
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: