Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Nikon D90 or D5000??? May be canon  (Read 3494 times)
Thilak

View Profile
« on: May 20, 2010, 07:41:20 AM »

I used to have a Kodak point and shoot camera and I am a completely newbie for SLR cameras. Now thinking for buying a Nikon D90 (price is very high though) or D5000 - just the standard kit.

The reason for selecting Nikon is that one of my friends got a D40 and according to my knowledge photos are very good.

The D90 is expensive Rs. 152,000 - SL phototechnika and D5000 is Rs.114,000 in phototechnika. both with 1 year warranty.

Which one you guys recommend? or some other model of Canon?

I could purchase D90 from UK for Rs. 116,000 and warranty will not be valid in sri lanka. Also D5000 from UK for Rs 72,000

to which option I could go for?

Is there any other place in Sri Lanka I could by D90 for lesser price?

Please help me on above as I want to make the purchase in 1 - 2 weeks time.

Thanks.

lakdasun
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 10:40:21 AM »

Unless you have already seen it, this thread - SLR vs Compact - will be useful for you to decide on the brand.

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children
kosala
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 11:19:44 AM »

Hi Thilak,
I too bought a D90 some 6 months back. I was initially going to buy a Canon (40D/50D) but selected Nikon D90 over it mainly due to the poor service of Metropolitan, the local agents and secondly due to brand loyalty. I earlier ('bout 5yrs back) used Nikon FM10 and FM2 which I was extremely happy with.
I am still happy with my D90, but feel a bit out of the place only beause most of the guys are using Canons. As I am informed, the reputation of Canon camera mainly derives from the superb performance of Canon L series lenses which are very high in price in SL.
I was not going to buy a pricey L series. The choice I had was to go for Sigma 170-500 for birds. This tele-zoomer is available both in Canon and Nikon mounts and I luckily found used one for a not so heavy budget from Ajantha at phototechnica at Liberty Plaza. Actually Ajantha promised me to find me a 170-500 soon, when I purchased the D90 and within 1 month he delivered the promise (not the lens, I had to go there to collect it Grin)
I can recommend Ajantha for good and reliable service. He seems to have a lot of contact among photographic community and directed me some other good lenses too though I was unable to afford.
This is if you are really concerned about the warranty as I did. But a lot of guys seem to use second hand stuff and stuff brought in from foreign countries with out warranty and use them with out any problem. I know some guys who practice photography as a profession, invested there hard earned bucks on DSRS without warranty and still doing well.  It seems Digital SLRs are lot more sturdy than we think. The prices are considerably lower than those with warranty.
So think over all of these and make your decision.
Wish you will find a good DSLR and give us a good set of images to enjoy.
Kosala
ajithkarunaratne

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 06:36:56 AM »

Hi Thilak,

I think it will be helpful for you to make a decision when the photo quality of those 2 models are compared.

Please follow these two links.

For D90---
http://www.flickr.com/groups/nikond90club/pool/

For D5000
http://www.flickr.com/groups/d5000/pool/

Regards!!

Ajith
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 10:45:06 PM by ajithkarunaratne » Logged
charithao

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 08:27:15 AM »

Hi Thinlak,

You could check this out too. They have very detailed reviews of every aspect of the camera.

D90
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond90/

D5000
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond5000/

Thanks,
Charitha

You will find something more in woods than in books.  Trees and stones will teach you things that you could never learn from masters.
BuddhikaD

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 06:46:26 AM »

Hi All..
I am Buddhika.. I am a new commer of this site and  I still learning about photogarphy..these days I am also looking to buy a new DSLR Camera.. I have found a place called cyber city at Liberty Plaza on Ground floor.. They  have promised to me to give Cannon 500D for Rs.102,500/-.Nikon D3000 for Rs.65,000/- & D5000 for 86,000/- with 06 months waranty..and they  sale lenses also but I couldn't ask the prices of that because of I am still junior to Photography...

I hope that you all can check on this at this place..and I need all your comment of this matter

Thanks
Buddhika
Thilak

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 08:16:26 AM »

Hi All,

Thank you very much for your advices. Below is a comprehensive analysis of Nikon D90, D5000 and Canon rebel T1i.

http://www.digitalreview.ca/content/Nikon-D5000-D90-Compared-to-Canon-Rebel-T1i-500D.shtml
http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/28/nikon-d5000-review-head-to-head-with-d90/

The main difference I see is D5000 doesn't support auto focus when older lenses are used (not a problem for me since I don't have any lenses)
D5000 doesn't have top LCD panel

and a few more... but there is a huge price difference between two (around 50k in my view)

so, what you experts view on this. Should I go for D5000 and invest rest in a good lens or go for D90?

Sheham
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 07:17:40 AM »

Hi Buddhika,

Sorry for the late reply. Please look at this thread. http://www.lakdasun.com/forum/index.php?topic=1428.0

The prices mentioned were obtained over the phone today 22nd March 2010. This include Taxes including VAT, 1 year warranty. A discount could be negotiated. (if you can figure out a way to claim the VAT, you are up on the deal)

EOS 1000 D with 18-55mm lens - Rs.   96,000.00
EOS  500 D  with 18-55mm lens - Rs. 117,600.00

They  have promised to me to give Cannon 500D for Rs.102,500/-.

I do NOT recommend you to buy a Camera at Liberty Plaza with 6 months warranty.  Pay a little more and buy it at the Agents, at least you know that you got some thing with 12 months warranty. (although the service is not too good)

If you want to buy at a lower price, there are people who bring Cameras from Singapore, but NO warranty in Sri Lanka. Some one will hand carry and give you the camera. It's a risk that you take.  I was offered a CANON EOS 7D (brand new with Singapore Warranty) for Rs. 150,000.00 about 1 month ago.

So you really take a decision between the two.... Price vs Warranty

Good Luck

Kind Regards
Sheham
ChandanaLi

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 09:52:27 PM »

Thilak I do not know you have already decided & go on buying D90 Wink Then I'm very happy for you..!! Since you have made the right choice...  But the prices that you have mentioned are too much ....  do not pay more than 135LKR ( b4 the tax cut down) for D90 in SL. Can not you find any way to buy it tax free? Wink

To answer to your question "Nikon D90 or D5000??? May be canon"
1. Its D90! (well everybody knows its better Smiley Simply because once you get it you have a better solution with the kit lens 18-105 that they provide. D90 is basically ‘enhanced (+/-)’ D300 in a plastic body.

2. D5000 belongs to inferior series D40 D40x D60 D3000 D5000 where as D90 belongs to D50 D70 D70s D80 class where you have internal motor so you are not restricted to AF-S for auto focus

3. Unless you have better quality lenses ( usually above $1000  in any brand Wink any of these will not make you happy –  Benz engine driven Moris Minor will be a superior solution than a  bull driven jaguar.   So I like the idea of saving money for a better lens.

4. If you eyeing Canon do not buy a body with 18-55 even 17-85 kit lenses. Do not buy 1000D. You will not be happy. Buy a body only (40D/450D) and have Tamron 17-50 2.8 lens or Tamron 17-35. Even with Nikon these lenses are applicable.

5. We all are into expensive hobby ….  No easy way out
Hope this helps....
Should you need any clarification pls ask… Cheesy
Thilak

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 04:03:54 AM »

Chandana,

Thanks for your input.

I will go for D90 as it seems to be the best I can afford to. However, I will not buying from Sri Lanka and will be buying duty free..... so I have to wait some time......  Smiley

One more reason I went for this decision is Pentaprism view finder which you could find only in high end cameras as per some reviews.

Thanks again.

ChandanaLi

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 05:17:47 AM »

My wishes with you....   pls share your first set of pictures with us ......  !!
Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists

Tags:
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: