Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists
October 22, 2017, 07:09:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Lakdasun forum has changed its face! Spend few minutes to get yourself familiar with the new look.

Home   Forum Home   Help Search Tags Login Register Email Admin  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Ala Galla 2 days weekend Trip  (Read 6277 times)
dinukamendisj

View Profile
« on: April 13, 2010, 07:57:54 PM »

Hi Friends,

We are planning to hike Ala Galla on next month. If anyone interested can join with our team . We are planning to go there by train...

Thankx,
Dinuka

dinukamendisj

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 08:03:01 PM »

follow this link for more info..

http://www.sinhalayatravels.com/ala-galla/
Sheham
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 08:03:59 PM »

Hi Dinuka

Can you give a tentative date/more details please?. I had been trying to do this for a while. (week ends are fine, I have a camping plan during wesak)

Thanks & Kind Regards
Sheham
kosala
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 06:30:16 PM »

Hi Dinuka and Shehm,
Happy climbing/ trekking. I have heard that it is nice fir camping at the summit. Is it true??

Kosala
Sheham
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 08:10:06 PM »

Dear Kosala

Happy climbing/ trekking. I have heard that it is nice fir camping at the summit. Is it true??

Sorry, I really don't know, I have not been there yet.

I am planning to camp in Kalthota (Balangoda area). Some where easy to access by car, (going with kids, hence unable to carry many things/hike)

Kind Regards
Sheham
dinukamendisj

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 08:03:54 PM »

Yes, One of my friend told me that camping will be really good experience. We will go there probably on wesak holidays. Anyone interested can join with us. Thnkx.. Smiley 
Ashan253
Global Moderator

"Wild"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 08:52:02 AM »

Hi Dinuka
I might climb Alagalla tomorrow but yet to decide! Grin Grin Grin Grin
Ashan

Update-  "Wade Kota uda" Angry Angry Angry Angry
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 10:05:26 AM by Ashan253 » Logged

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet
and the wind longs to play with your hair."
Sheham
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 09:32:15 PM »

Dear Ashan

I spoke to some one I know (reliable, responsible person) in that area, his advice is "NOT" to climb these days.

Kind Regards
Sheham
Ashan253
Global Moderator

"Wild"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 09:47:19 PM »

Hi Sheham
I will not! the weather is not suitable! after yesterdays thundering lightning i decided that I will not climb any mountains! Grin Grin Grin Grin
here is good place to visit during the visit to Alagalla
Dekinda falls
The 6m-high fall's source springs from the 24-hectare reserve on the Allagala Mountain, near Yatinuwara historical fortress. The nationalisation of estates in 1977 has had a disastrous outcome - Dekinda Falls's volume is now a tenth of what it was and landslides are a constant threat. This has been caused by deforestation in the reserve. In addition to these problems, the surrounding areas of Allagala, Mawanella and Makehelwala are starved of water.

The legislative provisions of the Environmental and Conservation Laws need to be rigidly enforced if what little is left is to be saved.

The fall is located at the Allagala Forest Reserve, just beyond Pottapitiya town, Kandy District.
Ashan
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 04:31:05 AM by Ashan253 » Logged

chandima
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 08:47:35 AM »

Good decision on not to climb Alagalla, Ashan.
Yesterday's lightning was like the lights at a dance floor. And one can imagine the conditions on the Alagalla peak.

I hope you will be able to do the climb soon. We (University of Peradeniya, Explorer's Club 1999) climbed Alagalla but i missed it somehow.
I have heard that there is a Triangulation Point on the Alagalla peak.
Maybe you can verify this when doing the hike.
Best wishes
Chandima

Take your nature conservation beyond your keyboard !!!
Ashan253
Global Moderator

"Wild"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 09:16:12 AM »

Hi Chandima
yes that was a good retreat!
I will not get any free time within 1 year period! Sheham might climb Alagalla. may be he might update you!
and according to the meteorological department there may be thundering in mornings too!
and yesterday my home area received the second highest rainfall second only to Kaluthara!
Ashan

Sheham
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 09:51:27 PM »

Hi Chandima

Yes, in fair weather, with 2 locals (it's their back yard Wink) who will go with me. will let you guy's know.

Kind Regards
Sheham
Randy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 02:39:29 PM »

Hello there,

I have climbed Alagalla thrice and have fairly good bearings. Once during my Dharmaraja days and twice during Uni Pera days.

Its a really nice climb but it doesn't take too long to get to the summit. 4-5 hours at worst if you languish on the way. But it'll be interesting to camp near the summit, there is a sort of a plateau just below the triangulation point.

If you choose the train path your climb will begin at 'Ihala Kotte' railway station. From this picturesque launch you can start up a flight of stone stairs that lead to a settlement and turn right from there. You will end up in the lovely stream that Ashan mentioned. a short way uphill along the stream will take you to the Dekinda falls that he mentioned. Here's a picture of it taken in 2003. please don't mind us skinny children standing infront Smiley

Its a really nice location and all three times we went there we scaled the water fall. Make uphill along the stream till you come to a foot path. some 2-300 meters up this you can enter the jungle on to your left. I suggest you find your own way up the mountain from here on as thats where most of the fun is. You cannto simply get lost as all you gotto do is climb up till you come to the summit. There is a dummy summit which seems like the summit till you've climbed up to it, but from there you need to climb the actual peak which will take any where between 1-2 hours depending on fitness and requirement!

when you get to the peak you realize that it is infact a triangulation point but climbing it is a bit tricky. the rocks up there seem more assembled than naturally formed. Many times I wondered if a Sinhala king has amassed those rocks up there to roll down at any European army invading Kandy along the Balana pass. To add to the intrigue there is a crown mark engraved in one of the top most rocks. this is a picture taken at the very summit of Alagalla.

From the top you get a wonderful view of the tracks far below, balum gala, the Balana pass, Bible rock and very clearly the town of Mawanella. there is a great view of the vistas to enjoy and camping up there has been a dream which I couldn't realize still.

I will try to upload some pictures that depict the natural formations rather than us humans over the weekend. I currently don't hold them, I must check with my wife or any of the friends who came with us then!

One thing of note is that once you leave the main stream there is hardly any water to be found in the mountain. So make sure to carry sufficient amounts. the summit plateau is the ideal place to pitch tents but you will need to take precautions to establish it properly as the place can be fairly gusty at times. I personally think that making the trip towards the end of May, beginning of June won't by too much of a problem. lightning hazard would be past by then and rain is something us in Kandy must expect as an everyday reality Tongue

Coming down the mountain you may follow the footpath that will take you straight down to the tea estates below and depending on where you want to end up you can turn right and find your way back to the Ihala Kotte station or trek ahead to try to find the provincial town of Poththapitiya. Since you will have time to spare on the second day you may want to walk along the railway tracks (which is illegal btw Smiley ) and come to balana. from there a short climb up is the historic Yatinuwara fortress ruins. I've just seen it from the outside but it should offer some interesting insights on our history.

If you need any further info you may ask me, i will provide what ever is known to me! All the best with your trip/hike, enjoy.

Eco warrior, explorer!
Ashan253
Global Moderator

"Wild"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 08:58:17 PM »

Hi Randy
Simply wonderful. thanks for the directions to the waterfall! seems like you have taken this picture during rainy days! greatly appreciate your post! I will surely climb this rock one day! must go on a day with clear skies! Grin
Ashan

Randy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 09:38:57 PM »

Hi Ashan,

thank you for the kind comments. i would have preferred to upload some decent pics of the geography. Need a bit of time before I do that please.

BTW we took the picture of the fall during a dry stint. Infact the waterfall shown in the background is just a portion of the cascade. Its a lengthy one in diyaluma style, few cascades and some rapids a short distance from each other. I have no clue about the water levels of the stream these days. But I did learn that the tea cultivations have affected it somewhat but overall the level of water during drier months haven't come down drastically. this still needs verification.

In my experience this was one of the most enjoyable one-day hikes I've gone on along with Hanthana-Uragala hike!

cheers
Randy

Eco warrior, explorer!
Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists

Tags: Alagalla | Kandy | Ihala Kotte | 
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: