Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: places to visit near ingiriya kaluthara horana  (Read 10430 times)
Ashan253
Global Moderator

"Wild"

View Profile WWW
« on: April 01, 2010, 08:54:34 AM »

Hi guys need help urgently!!!!
main attractions that we prefer are waterfalls & bathing places! it is a 1 day trip!
please help me out
thanks

“"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet
and the wind longs to play with your hair."
chandima
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 09:09:56 AM »

Ashan

The Bodhinagala or Dombagaskanda reservation in Ingiriya is good for birdwatching and there is a small bathing place on a stream.
you can get there from Panadura. Take the ratnapura bus and after passing Horana and just before Ingiriya town there is a turning to the right. Ask the bus conductor for directions.
At the foot of Dombagaskanda is a temple. its good if you have a simple word with the Loku Hamuduruwo before entering Dombagaskanda. The villagers are a bit concerned about misbehavour by some couples and groups  Grin

Also there is the Thudugala ella at Kaluthara.
Thsi is a beautiful waterfall in a rubber estate. unfortunately this has recently been attracting too many visitors - the noisy, litter mongers mostly.
There is a nice pool just beyond the head of the waterfall. and the best feature of all is a tunnel that goes under the waterfall and emerges on top at a side to it.
I used to visit thudugala every school holidays during august. we used to ride our bicycles from the Kaluthara town. to the falls.  Smiley

If you are coming from Colombo come to kaluthara, then at Katukurunda junction turn to Mathugama Road. go upto Dodangoda junction and ask for directions..I guess its about 10 KM from Dodangoda Junc.

Make sure you take plenty of Leech Repellent :-)

But please be very careful in bathing at unknown places. Not many places in the Kaluthara district are safe bathing places during the rainy season.

have fun !
Chandima

« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 09:20:42 AM by chandima » Logged

Take your nature conservation beyond your keyboard !!!
Ashan253
Global Moderator

"Wild"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 09:15:02 AM »

Hi Chandima
thanks for the information. I have been to BNodinagala recently. since girls & boys are attending I will not take them there and as you said the river is bit deep because of the "Wali goda dameema"
I would prefer some place near Athwelthota. any ideas?

Something i found online
http://www.jetwing.com/web_uploads/Excursions/Jetwing%20Tropical%20Villas%20Excursions.pdf
Trekking “Rusigala” Mount – “Athwelthota” Rainforest
For whom: People who love hard core trekking
The Athwelthota Forest Patch can be described as a wet evergreen rain forest consisting of woody plants, shrubs, tree
climbers, epiphytes and ferns. The fauna is represented by birds, including some endemics such as Green-Billed Coucal,
Sri Lanka White Eye and Sri Lanka Blue Magpie. Mammals include the endemic Purple Faced Leaf Monkey, Sambar and
Mouse Deer. For keen eyed insect lovers, there are many butterflies and dragonflies.
Duration: Day tour
Starting Time: 05:30 a.m.
Distance from the Hotel & Back: 120km
Height: 500m
Length of Walk: 5km
What is included:
Transport, entrance tickets, accompanying Naturalist, picnic lunch packs, water bottles.
What is not included:
Extra expenditure, tips for trackers.
What to bring/What to wear:
Earth coloured clothes, raincoats, caps, leech socks, leech repellents, binoculars, camera, (snacks, if necessary),
Swimwear (if necessary);
***If you wish to have a safe swim there are several streams to refresh you.

Ashan
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 09:32:45 AM by Ashan253 » Logged

chandima
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 09:27:28 AM »

Hi Ashan
I have heard of a place called Kabaragoi Ella on the Agalawaththa road. Not been there though. but a group of friends from the campus who went there last year said it was an awesome waterfall and perfect bathing place.
But im sorry i dont have further info about this place. will try to get some info for you.
Chandima

Take your nature conservation beyond your keyboard !!!
Ashan253
Global Moderator

"Wild"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 09:32:22 AM »

Hi Chandima
yes i just saw it!
Kabaragoi falls http://localsdiggit.com/product_info.php?products_id=93&osCsid=dvhosljdszp
http://www.srilankanwaterfalls.net/waterfalls/Kabaragoi_Falls.htm
it seems like a nice place for a shower!
thanks

mithila
Global Moderator

@ N: 06° 47.85’ | E: 079° 53.38’

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 10:25:12 AM »

Hello Ashan,

Kabaragoi falls is close to the "Akasa Bokkuwa". Go past the Athwethota mian bridge and reach a smaller, arch bridge called "Akasa bokkuwa". Just after passing this, go up stream along the river bank to reach this small waterfall. Don't expect much unless it rains  Smiley If it rains, it is very beautiful  Smiley

Here is Sandun's blog on Athwelthota. - http://sandunonblog.blogspot.com/2009/11/blog-post.html. I'm sure you will find it useful. Goodluck for your adventure  Smiley

Man did not weave the web of life. He is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web of life, he does to himself. | Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you!
charith

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 10:58:31 AM »

Ashan,

For birds watching "Kalugala forest reserve" would be ideal. It's only about 10 kms from Baduraliya.

There is a famous water fall also near by Athwelthota, but I have never been to there....

We are missing very much the local guy form the area "Kelum" & his beautiful photos as well since he is not in SL now. Otherwise we could have get lot of information from him about the area....

regards,

Charith
Ashan253
Global Moderator

"Wild"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 11:29:58 AM »

Hi Mithila
thanks for the directions! so the photo was taken at Kabaragoi falls?? it must have rained alot!

Hi Charith
thanks for the information! and really its good to have someone from that region in the forum!
Ashan

ĂΜϊĻä®

Ẅϊ£Đ Ẅϊ£Đ Ẅĕ$Ť

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 09:27:09 PM »

HI Ashan,

There is a nice bathing place near Ingiriya called "Nachchimale". Hope you have heard about this or u might have gone there for sure. In addition to that, there is an Aranya just before the bathing place, which is a calm and cool place, but not a place to fun.  Wink

Sorry dude that is all I know about a good place around Ingiriya since I was only addicted to go the said bathing place usually.  Grin

Cheers,
Amila

Drinking Nature is an unquenchable thirst..... !!!
Ashan253
Global Moderator

"Wild"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 11:24:05 PM »

Hi Chandima
just saw your post on Thudagala falls! as you said its highly populated and famous! we even went on a batch trip 2 years back!
and the best feature of all is a tunnel that goes under the waterfall and emerges on top at a side to it.
I didnt know about that! Grin Grin Grin

anyway thanks for the direction, I had forgotten the road!

Hi Amila

I think you are mentioning about Paravithota, which is a good bathing place! thanks for the suggestion!

Hi All

Does anyone know the directions to Pilihatha Ella
Ashan
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 11:52:53 PM by Ashan253 » Logged

mithila
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 11:56:09 PM »

Hi Mithila
thanks for the directions! so the photo was taken at Kabaragoi falls?? it must have rained alot!

Yes  Smiley

Man did not weave the web of life. He is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web of life, he does to himself. | Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you!
mithila
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 12:08:32 AM »

Hi Ashan,

I believe "Paravithota" and "Nachchimale" are two different places.

Also there is another nice place called "Kalu Wala" inside the "Dumbara estate", Ingiriya. On Panadura - Rathnapura raod, drive towards Rathnapura passing Ingiriya  town (N6 44.789 E80 10.626). You will find a wooden bridge (motorable) on the right hand side with the name board "Dumbara Estate" (N6 43.905 E80 13.234).

Cross the bridge and continue on the estate road on the right hand side. The road condition is OK for a Van but a low ground clearance car may struggle as you venture deep in to the estate. Few km on this road takes you to this bathing spot. Once inside the estate, you can easily get directions form the locals there.

Mithila

Ashan253
Global Moderator

"Wild"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 12:25:41 AM »

Hi Mithila
thank you for the suggestion! let me check the map and see! finding  places close by seems more difficult than other places! Grin Grin Grin
Ashan

ĂΜϊĻä®

Ẅϊ£Đ Ẅϊ£Đ Ẅĕ$Ť

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 01:21:24 AM »

Hi Ashan,

"Paravithota" and "Nachchimale" are two different places as I know. Nachchimale is just before the Ingiriya town when you are travelling from Meepe or Godagama side.

Cheers,
Amila

Drinking Nature is an unquenchable thirst..... !!!
Ashan253
Global Moderator

"Wild"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 01:23:35 AM »

Hi Amila
"Paravithota" and "Nachchimale" are two different places as I know. Nachchimale is just before the Ingiriya town when you are travelling from Meepe or Godagama side.
thanks!  Wink

Ashan

Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists

Tags: Ingiriya | Kalutara | Horana | Matugama | Athwelthota | 
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: