Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists
December 16, 2017, 01:47:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Lakdasun forum has changed its face! Spend few minutes to get yourself familiar with the new look.

Home   Forum Home   Help Search Tags Login Register Email Admin  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Safari in Wilpattu  (Read 5389 times)
Suchith

View Profile
« on: March 31, 2010, 06:54:59 AM »

I'm considering a full day Safari in Wilpattu this weekend.

Want to experience the beauty of the park before everything changes with tourist arrivals etc. I hear that there is a good leopard population there though its tough to spot any.  Idea is to travel by public transport, stay overnight and hire a jeep for the Safari.

So far its myself and two other friends and I'm looking at a group of 5-6 people to make this feasible.
Let me know if any of you are interested.

Suchith
suchith@hotmail.com

Suchith Abeyewickreme
www.facebook.com/suchith
Danushka

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 04:18:17 AM »

Yes Wilpattu has a very good population of Leopards as per records but full day safari like in Yala would not be enough for exploring Wilpattu. I heard that jeeps are not also functioning well in Wilpattu yet. 

Danushka Senadheera - Inspiring Moments
http://dsinspiringmoments.com
kosala
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 01:09:24 AM »

Hi Suchith;

I too have heard that safari jeep service is yet not established well in Wilpaththu and you are better if you can arrange your own vehicle. Best thing you can do is to invite a guy who has a 4WD and good at the wheel on a rough terrain and like to explore. I'd love to join as I too am craving to explore Wilpattu. Let's see

Kosala
Sheham
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 02:53:24 AM »

Dear All

I took a detour of 7.7km just to see the "Wilpattu N/P" up to the entrance.(from Anuradhapura-Puttlam road). Surprised to see so many vehicles (those who have parked their vehicles and gone in to the jungle by hired 4WD)

I inquired from one guy near the ticket counter, (he was entering the vehicle reg.no's. in a CR book), about the animals, he too admitted that the animals move away for noise of vehicles. may be this will improve soon.

Have to go there

Kind Regards
Sheham
Sheham
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 11:19:56 PM »

some directions, (I only saw this from the Anuradapura end)

this was displayed at the turn off to Puttlam road, in Anuradapura

this was displayed at the turn off to Wilpattu N/P, between 45-46 km posts.

the entrance to ticketing office

really amazing to see the distances  Shocked,

The Puttlam- Anuradapura road is under construction, some areas are bad (muddy) some places are carpeted.
Sheham
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 08:55:02 PM »

Has any one been to Wilpattu N/P lately??, please update what you saw.

Thanks & Kind Regards
Sheham
Mohammed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 11:39:47 PM »

Hi guys, yes I have been to Wilpattu about three weeks back, I spent a whole day in the park in my own vehicle. Park is very beautiful and many of the roads are in fair condition. We had two leopard sightings, and also saw several other stuff deer, wild boar, many nice birds snipe, godwit, serpent eagles etc. Animals are still very shy of vehicles though. The leopard sightings - one was a very short time and the other was at a long distance away across the villu which we watched for about an hour. We stopped for a picnic lunch at at the Manawila bungalow. The bungalow is still structurally intact however all the batrooms/windows etc have been ripped out and the walls are full of LTTE graffiti. All in all park is a good experience and worth a visit.

I encountered about 5 other vehicles and got chatting to one of the jeep drivers who exchanged a card with me. He is a small timer who operates a Safari jeep and seems like a very nice chap - contact Kahala Jeep Safari - Chaminda - 071 248 1177. His charges are Rs 7000 for a full day. I also told him about Lakdasun and requested him to give a small discount to locals who say they are reffered by Lakdasun. Smiley

Hope I have been of help.

Regards
Mohammed

« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 11:55:10 PM by Mohammed » Logged
Sheham
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 11:59:03 PM »

Hi Mohammed

Thanks,

We had two leopard sightings, and also saw several other stuff deer, wild boar, many nice birds snipe, godwit, serpent eagles etc. Animals are still very shy of vehicles though. The leopard sightings - one was a very short time and the other was at a long distance away across the villu which we watched for about an hour.

This is great!!.

contact Kahala Jeep Safari - Chaminda - 071 248 1177. His charges are Rs 7000 for a full day. I also told him about Lakdasun and requested him to give a small discount to locals who say they are reffered by Lakdasun. Smiley

This is Super, and as a member of Lakdasun community, it will be good for both us & the service providers. (they guy's get promoted/recommended)

Thanks & Kind Regards
Sheham
lakdasun
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 12:55:33 AM »

I also told him about Lakdasun and requested him to give a small discount to locals who say they are reffered by Lakdasun. Smiley

Thanks Mohammed. This is very much appreciated  Smiley

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children
Namal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 10:13:56 PM »

Have been to Wilpattu thrice since it was reopened. a half day, a three night and a full day. Saw leopard on all trips, also two bears. The animals are still there but u have to work hard to see them. Roads are in reasonable condition. There are plenty of functioning jeeps in Wilpattu. Best thing is to take a picnic lunch and spend the whole day in the park. ( please take your garbage back with u) The jeep hire rates are much more reasonable then much smaller parks like Yala. If u meet the warden put pressure on him to reopen the bungalows and the camp sites.

Enjoy nature while you still can, it's not going to be there forever.
www.zero3images.com
Sheham
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 10:24:11 PM »

Hi Namal

Saw leopard on all trips, also two bears.

This is really encouraging

Thanks
Sheham
Nishantha

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 09:44:52 PM »

Hi Namal

Bungalows will be opened shortly

http://www.lakdasun.com/forum/index.php?topic=1775.0

Regards,
Nishantha.

Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists

Tags: Wilpattu | 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: