Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Fiery Gusts, Shrouding Mist & Freezing Cold Nuwara Eliya & HP...  (Read 737 times)
Sri Abeywickrema

View Profile WWW
« on: August 10, 2016, 01:50:23 AM »

Dear All

This trip report is now available in Lakdasun Trip Report archive at:

http://trips.lakdasun.org/fiery-gusts-shrouding-mist-freezing-cold-nuwara-eliya-hp.htm

You can use this thread for comments and queries.

Sri...

Ranshan

ADVENTURER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 03:14:52 AM »

Hi Sri,

Nice journey in Nuwaraeliya.
Why don't you go to the top of Piduruthalagala?
You are lucky to have colorful photos cz most of people couldn't capture them due to the mist at all.
Thanks for sharing.

Facebook - Travel in Sri Lanka-Sobasiri
----------------------------------------------------------------
Travel HARD | Save NATURE |  Get EXPERIENCE
----------------------------------------------------------------
Sheham
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 07:30:40 PM »

Hi Sri

Lovely trip, beautiful photographs. I remember seeing a similar report, but seeing Hp is never enough.

Ramzy

Traveler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 08:48:52 PM »

Hi Sri,

This is what I planned for a family trip. Beautiful locations and photos.
Thanks for sharing.

RAMZY FAROOK
---------------------------------------------
Travel Sri Lanka with RAMZY
Christy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 10:08:57 AM »

Hi Sri,

So you visited the most loved lace of mine (Just above Jaffna) Smiley

I wonder why it is called One Tree or Single Tree.

Two decades back I clearly remeber the single tree on that mountain ik a trand of hair on a bold head. There were some bushes but this tree stood well over them. It was the unique  ID of the hill.

Sandathenna is a creation of Municipal Council to attract tourists and you experienced the inefficiency of the service. Old timers who love the rough and uncut beauty of Nuwara Eliya do not approve such additions.

Lot of sumber deer. They are now attracted to the road side as people feed them. I saw one person feeding a full pack of lemon puff to one deer. He ignored my protest. It will be a disaster in no time.

It is a lovely report with nice fotos.

Thanks for sharing.

Christy
Sri Abeywickrema

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2016, 08:34:04 PM »

Hi Sri,
Nice journey in Nuwaraeliya.
Why don't you go to the top of Piduruthalagala?
You are lucky to have colorful photos cz most of people couldn't capture them due to the mist at all.
Thanks for sharing.

Hi Ranshan

Thanks a lot and well I've been to Piduruthalagala twice before and this time the time was not enough and even the weather which was gloomy all the time was not favourable thus the reason for no visit.

Well yeah, the mist kept playing with us but gave those tiny precious windows whenever we came to a vantage point as if secretly helping us  Smiley

Cheers
Sri

Sri Abeywickrema

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2016, 08:35:41 PM »

Hi Sri
Lovely trip, beautiful photographs. I remember seeing a similar report, but seeing Hp is never enough.

Hi Sheham

Thanks a lot and yeah, this was my 25+ time in HP since 2000... Never is enough that beautiful place...

Cheers

Sri

Sri Abeywickrema

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2016, 08:37:19 PM »

Hi Sri,

This is what I planned for a family trip. Beautiful locations and photos.
Thanks for sharing.

Hi Ramzy

Yeah, this can easily be done for a family trip except for the fact that you have to avoid the windy season as it's extremely difficult to enjoy your time... If only you knew how hard it was for us to take one single photograph in that  Shocked

Cheers
Sri

Sri Abeywickrema

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2016, 08:51:38 PM »

Hi Sri,
So you visited the most loved lace of mine (Just above Jaffna) Smiley
I wonder why it is called One Tree or Single Tree.
Two decades back I clearly remeber the single tree on that mountain ik a trand of hair on a bold head. There were some bushes but this tree stood well over them. It was the unique  ID of the hill.
Sandathenna is a creation of Municipal Council to attract tourists and you experienced the inefficiency of the service. Old timers who love the rough and uncut beauty of Nuwara Eliya do not approve such additions.
Lot of sumber deer. They are now attracted to the road side as people feed them. I saw one person feeding a full pack of lemon puff to one deer. He ignored my protest. It will be a disaster in no time.
It is a lovely report with nice fotos.
Thanks for sharing.
Christy

Hi Christy

Thanks a lot for the explanation and that was why this was called Single aka One Tree Hill... Were there telecommunication towers on the summit back then? Coz I hate these iron eyesores on the top of our beautiful mountains even though they play an essential part in the telecommunication field...

Well they had been doing an excellent job before making them permanent as the income for them based on the commission on the tickets. Now that they're paid a fixed amount monthly with healthy benefits, the service has gone from excellent to worse almost overnight... Well considering how lousy our CTB and Railway services are, not to forget the other Govt sectors, this is not surprising... Of course still there are some excellent govt institutions who provide grand service but people and places like these are a disgrace to those hard working people and institutes...

In terms of feeding to the animals, this is getting worse every day and we saw even foreigners (usually they're considered to be more sensible), the Chinese to be exact feeding and taking pictures which is pathetic. Unfortunately the wildlife officials can't be everywhere at the same time and the volume of people is simply unimaginable and do you know at an average there are 800 people a day do the circular trail alone? Just imagine the number of people for a year,  well over 300,000 people counting the others which is more than the few officials at HP can handle.

Also, I wonder if the Sambar is becoming a menace to the HP as that tiny plot of land (you'll see how small HP really is when checked on a map) is being inundated with them. I hate to say this but it looks as if the time will not be long the officials will have to do something to control their growth. Only good thing is that the leopard population too seems to have gone up and the sightings have become quite frequent in the recent past.

Cheers

Sri

Christy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2016, 09:05:31 AM »

Hi Sri Smiley

Were there telecommunication towers on the summit back then?

I fondly remember good old days when all hiltops including Piduruthalagala were free of human intervension!!!!. A foot path led us to the top of that grand mountain. While comming down, we went to the old post office to book a trunk call to Colombo to inform my father that we would be staying one more day. Grin So you can fathom the change.

Also, I wonder if the Sambar is becoming a menace to the HP as that tiny plot of land

What I feel is that we should leave the problem to solve between Sambar and Leopards. Once upon a time this spotted beauity visited our camp site of HP at night to capture a stray dog who accompanied us all the way from railway station. Samber were not that abudant those days Smiley

Christy
rijayasooriya

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2016, 05:55:41 AM »

Nice trip report. We did stay at Mahaeliya bungalow at the end of March this year. At that time weather is perfect but we missed the misty windy nature of this heavenly place.
Sri Abeywickrema

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2016, 08:03:01 PM »

Nice trip report. We did stay at Mahaeliya bungalow at the end of March this year. At that time weather is perfect but we missed the misty windy nature of this heavenly place.

Hi Jayasooriya

Thanks a lot and yeah Mahaeliya is a grand place to admire the miles and miles of lush greenery... well we had more mist and gusts than we could deal with  Grin

Cheers
Sri

Ashan253
Global Moderator

"Wild"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2016, 05:50:16 AM »

hi Sri
what a lovely journey! thanks for sharing this with us! loved this adventure alot
rgds
A

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet
and the wind longs to play with your hair."
Sri Abeywickrema

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2016, 09:40:50 PM »

hi Sri
what a lovely journey! thanks for sharing this with us! loved this adventure alot
rgds
A

Hi Doc

Thanks for publishing doc...

Cheers
Sri

Niroshan
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2016, 06:14:51 PM »

Hi Sri,
Really nice report with a lot of information about Nuweraeliya. I have been at Moon plains last year but surrounding was not clear as you guys had.
Thanks for adding  the poster showing garbage disposal way. Really like it and new idea.
BR
Niroshan
Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists

Tags: Sandathenna | Moon Plains | Single Tree Hill | One Tree Hill | Nuwara Eliya | Horton Plain | 
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: