Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists
September 25, 2017, 07:55:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Lakdasun forum has changed its face! Spend few minutes to get yourself familiar with the new look.

Home   Forum Home   Help Search Tags Login Register Email Admin  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Ancient Paradise Mahiyanganaya  (Read 6707 times)
lakdasun
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: March 16, 2010, 09:28:29 AM »

This trip report is now available in Lakdasun Trip Report archive at - http://trips.lakdasun.com/ancient-paradise-mahiyanganaya.htm

Enjoy reading.. You can use this thread for comments and queries.

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children
dulip

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 09:58:10 AM »

Hi Ashan,

Thanks for sharing the trip report. The pictures are great. I'm surprised that the waterfalls have so much water, as the weather has been very hot and dry. But then, I guess it's something to be thankful, that there was so much water.

Dulip
fanro
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 08:26:43 PM »

Dear Ashan,
This is what we were waiting for. Grin Very nice and informative trip report. Thank you. Hope Nagadeepa Viharaya will have a good publicity and people visit frequently here after.

Rohan
Sheham
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 11:23:12 PM »

Dear Ashan

Spectacular!! as always, great report & pictures! , Good job done.

Kind Regards
Sheham
Christy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 11:55:04 PM »

Dear Ashan,

Fine trip report and fotos.

Seems you have again planted the seed of next trip report in me. Now only I realise the meaning of your comment about Naagadeepa in Jaffna.

Thanks again.

Christy
Danushka

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 08:07:54 AM »

Ahan,

That a very nice report mate, Just went through it fast... want to read it carefully when I get a time. Thanks for sharing

Cheers!

Danushka Senadheera - Inspiring Moments
http://dsinspiringmoments.com
Ashan253
Global Moderator

"Wild"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 12:09:24 PM »

Hi Dulip
I'm surprised that the waterfalls have so much water, as the weather has been very hot and dry.
Thanks Grin! water level are fine because the water source is from Knuckles mountain range. (See the importance of forest Grin)

Hi Rohan
Hope Nagadeepa Viharaya will have a good publicity and people visit frequently here after.
thanks Grin! I hope few pilgrims will visit this place and help out!

Hi Sheham
Spectacular!! as always, great report & pictures! , Good job done.
thanks Grin Grin Grin!

Ashan

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet
and the wind longs to play with your hair."
Ashan253
Global Moderator

"Wild"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 12:17:33 PM »

Hi Christy
Fine trip report and photos.
Seems you have again planted the seed of next trip report in me.
hi...hi...thanks Grin! believe me Im also having a large list of places to visit since our members gave me many suggestions, my list had grown a lot too....

Hi Danushka
Thanks Grin Grin!

Hi Priyanjan
Thanks for the report. I never knew that Gurulupotha/Seetha Kotuwa was such a beautiful place.
thanks, I also never new about it until I saw it(thanks to Kishans tip)
Which road did you take to get to Nagadeepa? What was the condition of the road?
there are two route one from Andaulpotha and the other from Uraniya junction. the Uraniya route is 4Km shorter & the road conditions are fine. if you come from the other side you will be traveling along the bunt of Nagadeepa wewa I guess!

Ashan

Ashan253
Global Moderator

"Wild"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 12:30:36 PM »

Hi All
this is just to ad on!
The waterfalls of Gurulupotha does have a name its called Seethakotuwa Falls

I would like to ad on something about our current President too(nothing political). when the war was going on in Sri Lanka(not so far) our President has seen in his dreams or told to him(Cant remember properly) that its better if he does a Poojawa at Sacred Nagadeepaya to see an end of it. so early morning his excellency has got in to a vehicle(non prepared) and arrived to Nagadeepa viharaya(Andoulpotha) at around 6/7a.m. and done a Bodhi Poojawa to end the on going war. After the War ended he came back and completed his Poojawa & asked the Priest in charge what needs to be done! and the priest has requested electricity to the Nagadheepa Viharaya & a Bridge for the Uraniya road so people can reach the temple from Uraniya too.. and electricity to the village also was supplied as a result(Its 21st century but still the rural population is lacking electricity).
I just wanted to admire the effort by the President and this is not a political comment!

Ashan
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 12:38:02 PM by Ashan253 » Logged

Ashan253
Global Moderator

"Wild"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 09:40:06 PM »

Hi Priyanjan
Lovely place to be especially in the mornings & evenings.
tell me about it. there are few places i would like to be when the sun sets eg: near a lake, Top of a mountain & near the beach...
Anyway, with all the 'development' taking place I hope the temple will not end up being modernized like the Mahiyangana Viharaya.
for now only very few pilgrims visit this place..

Ashan

Ashan253
Global Moderator

"Wild"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 11:16:59 PM »

Hi Priyanjan
tell me about it
it was just a saying. anyway thank you for the information which I never thought of asking. I have got free information hi...hi...
I had stated only the sun set I totally forgot to add the sun rise!
Thanks
Ashan

NG
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 12:11:40 AM »

wow! oh WOW! Ashan! 2 days by bus and ALL THIS!!!  What can i say - (figure of speech! Wink

can't wait to go there next long week-end.
We booked Rakhinda on the recommendation of Lakdasun for one of the nights.

N
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 01:02:35 AM by NG » Logged
Ashan253
Global Moderator

"Wild"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 12:22:28 AM »

Hi Priyanjan
 Grin Grin Grin

Hi NG
wow! oh WOW! Ashan! 2 days by bus and ALL THIS?Huh? What can i say - (figure of speech! Wink
can't wait to go there next long week-end.
We booked Rakhinda on the recommendation of Lakdasun for one of the nights.
thanks  Grin Grin Grin on the way you can easily drop by at Gurulupotha but to enjoy the area you need about 2hours.
hope to see a nice report from you too.. Wink

Ashan

NG
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 03:23:07 AM »

Hi,
Back after 4 days in this area, moved a little further up to Divulapalassa as well. Have to thank Ashan for the tip on the road renovations. We took the Randenigala Minipe road out and Loggal Oya Randenigala route back. This is sign posted as the road to Badulla.

I was wondering if any one has drawn up the roads in that area ie around the Mahawali reservoirs.
There are connections from Kandy to Newara Eliya, Hanguranketha, direct to Walapane, Badulla, Bibile, Mahiyanganaya, and quite a few alternatives to all these places.
None of the maps show them properly and you can either waste a lot of time taking a longer route, or worse!- miss a nice scenic drive if you have the time.
I have tried, I think, all these routes over the years but still get a bit mixed up as there are so few landmarks. Though there are some sign posts, it does not help in deciding on the alternative routes.
A task for the Lakdasun Members??!!

One more place near Mahiyangana is Mavaragala Aranya which is just by the road at Dambana. The mountain side has amazing rocks, caves etc. They have been used in ancinet times ( kataram/drip ledges and brahmi akshara inscriptions) and are currently in use by monks as well. The main monk will send some one to accompany you to see it so that you will not disturb them. There are some nice korawak gal, guard stones etc, but mostly the caves and rocks. It must be a incredible hike to go right to the top. we did not try.

N
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 04:32:42 AM by NG » Logged
Ashan253
Global Moderator

"Wild"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 06:47:33 PM »

Hi NG
Its nice to here that you did a good trip in that area. regarding the road you have mentioned yes everything is interconected please see this map

If you go trough it carefully you will find out all the connections you wanted!
Ashan
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 02:27:33 AM by Ashan253 » Logged

Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists

Tags: Mahiyanganaya | Hasalaka | Gurulupotha | Andaulpotha | Loggaloya | Uraniya | 
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: