Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists
September 21, 2017, 11:27:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Lakdasun forum has changed its face! Spend few minutes to get yourself familiar with the new look.

Home   Forum Home   Help Search Tags Login Register Email Admin  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Northcove Cabana - Where Time Stands Still...  (Read 11597 times)
weli
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: August 04, 2008, 11:10:21 AM »

Northcove cabanas are situated in the far end of a tea estate called Loinorn,  in Bagawanthalawa. You can get there along two routes. Either via Avissawella -> Ginigathhena -> Hatton -> Norwood -> Bagawanthalawa -> Campion bazar -> Northcove or Avissawella -> Ratnapura -> Balangoda -> Pinnawala -> Campion bazar -> Northcove. It's 29 km from Norwood along the B329 road. Altitude of the place is well above 1650 meters, hence its quite cool (worsen by frequent winds).

The cabanas are facing the lush  green Loinorn tea estate, producing a picturesque view that visitors will never forget. It gives you a feeling of "totally  isolated from the rest of the world" when you get there. You see nothing in the near vicinity other than the tea estate and the jungle. Just behind the cabanas, guess what... It's the Horton plains. Workers there mention about existence of a foot path leading to the entrance of the park.

The place has two cabanas; each comprises of two bedrooms (triple)  and a bathroom. So, 12 persons can comfortably stay there at a time. Cook(s) and gas are available for which you have to pay separately. Hot water, boiled using wood, is also available (again, charged separately).  Electricity is produced by a mini hydro plant situated just down the little stream that flows through the cabana premises.

This place seems to be well maintained by its caretakers. Food prepared by cooks are tasty and there service is also admirable. In my opinion, it's a place to be visited by a nature lover.

For more information, please visit http://www.northcovecabanas.com/ [rates, contact details, reservation procedure etc.]

alternative web address - http://www.tmdolamulla.com/cabanas/index1.html

Regards,
Weli
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 08:46:02 PM by lakdasun » Logged
Gihan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 11:16:17 AM »

weli,

the link does not seem to work. can you post few pictures here?

G
Ranishka
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 09:42:25 AM »

Weli,
Many thanks for sharing the information. As Gihan said, site is not functioning, may be a temporary issue. But if you have got any pictures, please post them.

Ranishka
charith

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 12:02:31 AM »

Weli,

Is there any water fall called "northcove" around that place? I have never been to there,but just found a clip from a CD published on waterfalls of Sri Lanka.

Pera
Prabhath

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 05:17:54 AM »

Link is ok. There's a photo gallary too. But it's better if there's a 3rd party view of the place.  Grin
weli
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 12:06:07 PM »

Some photos of Northcove can be seen at:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=59078&l=9de5f&id=689317564

These two  cabanas are equipped with moderate facilities, making the stay there a comfortable one. The place seems to be well maintained. Their service is also appreciable and it should be emphasized that they cook delicious meals. The only disappointing thing I experienced during my stay was that they charge separately for providing hot water, without giving any prior notice. In my opinion, hot water is a must for a place like Northcove and has to provided without any additional charges.

The given URL is working properly. Hope you will be able to find further details there.

Weli
Danushka

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 10:36:10 AM »

I have been there last month end. It is a beautiful location. Well worth for the money you spend. Not much activities around. There are plenty of objects and angles for a photographer. We had a little hike along a route to a gem mine. Here is some of pics

Cabana Waterfall

Cabana Entrance

Horn Nosed Agama

View of the Siripada Mountain range ( Adam's Peak ) to Northcove Cabana

Danushka Senadheera - Inspiring Moments
http://dsinspiringmoments.com
mithila
Global Moderator

@ N: 06 47.85 | E: 079 53.38

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 08:56:44 PM »

Fantastic Images Danushka, specially the horned Lizard.

Mithila  Smiley

Man did not weave the web of life. He is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web of life, he does to himself. | Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you!
Sancharaka

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 07:05:08 PM »

There are some photos I took while at the Cabanas in 2008 March, (with my phone camera!). It accomodates 12 people in 4 rooms. The facilites are quite basic, but worth the stay. The scenery is breathtaking. There are 2 staff members and a watcher. Hot water is provided on request.

* DSC00800.JPG (455.58 KB, 1632x1224 - viewed 64 times.)

* DSC00802.JPG (459.36 KB, 1632x1224 - viewed 59 times.)

* DSC00828.JPG (504.3 KB, 1632x1224 - viewed 61 times.)

* DSC00794.JPG (443.99 KB, 1632x1224 - viewed 44 times.)
malakar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 12:56:04 AM »

Dear All,

Can someone tell me about the road condition of Balangoda - Pinnawala - Bogawantalawa
road?

Actually, I am planning to travel to Northcove from Panadura - Horana - Ratnapura - Balangoda ...

Is this place (north corve cabana) accessible by a car?

Thank you,

Malaka
supun44

A Land Like No Other

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 01:32:46 AM »

Hello malaka,
Can someone tell me about the road condition of Balangoda - Pinnawala - Bogawantalawa
road?
I travel hatton in this root last april.
Road condition not too bad.
I think you can travel by car.
sorry I don't know
supun44

Respect is not a gift you have to earn it.
malakar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 02:56:28 AM »

Thanks supun,

Just one more question, how long it took for you to go to
Bogawantalawa from Balangoda and how is the road condition
for a car?

Thank you,

Malaka
supun44

A Land Like No Other

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 03:39:41 AM »

Hello Malaka,
I travel by bike.
Balangoda-> Bogawanthalawa 38km
Road width only for one vehicle
Balangoda - Hatton bus going this root plz horn earlier in every bend
parana kale dapu thara thamai thiyenne, loku walawal na, normal car ekakata yanna puluwan
supun44

Respect is not a gift you have to earn it.
Ashan253
Global Moderator

"Wild"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 07:47:28 AM »

Hi Malakar
yes it is accessible but the road after Bogawanthalawa up to north cove & the cabana is full of pot holes so you would have to travel slowly. we once took a three wheeler from bogawanthalawa and it cost about 800 rupees.
Ashan

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet
and the wind longs to play with your hair."
malakar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 08:19:47 PM »

Thanks for the info Supun/ Ashan

Regards,

Malaka
Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists

Tags: Bogawantalawa | 
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: