Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Mahiyanganaya & Monaragala HELP!  (Read 14626 times)
Ashan253
Global Moderator

"Wild"

View Profile WWW
« on: February 28, 2010, 04:29:10 AM »

hi All
I need some help. I will be traveling around Mahiyanganaya, Monaragala, Badulla, and Diyathalawa.
(This is not a trip). I would like if you can point me out some places closer to the road specially around Mahiyangana & Monaragala.
If you'll can please put up a list for me...that would be great!
I have already seen this link http://www.lakdasun.com/forum/index.php?topic=1043.0
thanks in advance!
Ashan
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 06:59:59 AM by Ashan253 » Logged

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet
and the wind longs to play with your hair."
Ashan253
Global Moderator

"Wild"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 10:35:03 PM »

Hi Priyanjan
no...no...im on a survey these days! so basically i will be going to hospitals in Mahiyangana , Monaragala, Badulla & Diyathalawa in Uva province! im still wondering whether to visit Mahiyangana & Monaragala in one visit
and Badulla and Diyathalawa in my next visit! oh do the whole thing in one week! probably Mahiyangana & Monaragala will be maximum 3 days and the journey will be by three-wheeler and bus since im the only person traveling, so I prefer places close to the roads, Except Rathna Ella which I would like to take a detour! Grin Grin Grin
"My plans are ever flexible"
thanks, Ashan

Sachitha

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 12:01:15 AM »

Hi,
Regarding places near moneragala there is the ancient well maintained rock pond at Galebedda right by the road (Ampara road).  Also there's a cave temple complex called mayuragiri pirivena also near the road but have to climb up the mountain through the jungle for a bit (Also on the Ampara road between moneragala town and galebedda).

Places a little far away would include obviously Maligawila, Dematamal viharaya at Okkampitiya and the Yudaganawa ruins near Buttala.

PS- Hope to see a great report on Ratna Ella!  Grin Grin Grin
Ashan253
Global Moderator

"Wild"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 12:07:41 AM »

Hi Sachitha
Hi thanks for your tips!
Regarding places near moneragala there is the ancient well maintained rock pond at Galebedda right by the road (Ampara road).  Also there's a cave temple complex called mayuragiri pirivena also near the road but have to climb up the mountain through the jungle for a bit (Also on the Ampara road between moneragala town and galebedda).
how far are these places from Monaragala town?
Maligawila, Dematamal viharaya at Okkampitiya and the Yudaganawa ruins near Buttala.
I have only been to Maligawaila Sad Sad
PS- Hope to see a great report on Ratna Ella!
hi...hi...Rathne Ella will be a good hike, I hope the water levels will be ok!
thanks
Ashan

Sheham
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 12:09:48 AM »

Dear Ashan

Good Luck!

Sheham
Sachitha

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 02:57:42 AM »

Hi,
The  pond is around 10km from moneragala town on the right side of the road if you are heading out from moneragala. There are some well preserved ancient toilet seats here too.
The cave temple is 5km also on the same route on the right hand side. But there is a mid sized climb  by foot to get there. Both places are on the slopes of the Maragala mountain (I'm not too sure about the name) which overlooks moneragala.
Dematamal viharaya is around 1km from okkampitiya on the Buttala road.
Ashan253
Global Moderator

"Wild"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 05:03:21 AM »

Hi Sheham
thanks for the good luck part!!!! Grin

Hi Sachith
pond is around 10km from moneragala town
please see the map I found a small lake on it just before Galebadda & its on the slopes of Maragala. and ancient toilets will be interesting! Grin

The lake near 262Km post?Huh
cave temple complex called mayuragiri pirivena
there were two temples in the map, the one 4Km away from the town was on the slopes of Monaragala mountain, i guess thats the one you were mentioning about.

Maragala mountain range
regarding Dematamal viharaya at Okkampitiya and the Yudaganawa ruins, I must see whether I have time. and thanks I think my Monaragala bit is almost finalized.
Quoted from Priyanjans post
a.     The Minipe Anicut and the stone inscription. (Turn-off at Loggaloya Junction and proceed along the Kandy road: Raja Mawatha. The Anicut is between the Rantembe Reservoir and the Loggaoya Reservoir). To get to the inscription is a little bit troublesome. It's on the Minipe side, at the start of the Minipe Canal. Ask someone for directions.
b.     Loggaloya Reservoir. Check this link; http://www.lakdasun.com/forum/index.php?topic=1037.0 (On the way to Mahiyanganaya from Badulla.)
c.     Drive on the road that runs along side Mahaweli Canal from Loggaloya Reservoir to  Mapakada Reservoir. Early morning is the best time for it.
d.     Sorabora Wewa (Sluce) in Mahiyanganaya.
e.     Rathna Ella off Hasalaka. (I have never been to see it.)
f.      In case you are going to Nagadeepa Temple as suggested by NG, the turn-off is from the Mahiyanganaya-Bibile road. But, please check on the condition of the road that leads to the temple especially if you are going in a car. It truly is a lovely place to visit.
now I need to get the Mahiyangana part soughted out!
thanks again
Ashan

« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 05:38:49 AM by Ashan253 » Logged

Ashan253
Global Moderator

"Wild"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 09:27:29 AM »

Hi Priyanjan
So, I did get it wrong on your motive in visiting the hospitals.  Embarrassed
yep ur guess was wrong  Grin Grin Grin
Anyway, here is the information that I can pass on. But, I'm sure that you already have seen/read all of it in this Foprum it self.
As you have already mentioned Mahiyanganaya & Badulla are covered at: http://www.lakdasun.com/forum/index.php?topic=1043.0
yes i have gone trough that post but im still trying to figure out what are the places easily reachable Huh Huh because im traveling mainly by threewheeler and bus!
Udaganawa (Ruins) - Turn-off to the North and a drive of approximately 2km. The turn-off is very close to the 234th km post on the A-4.
that will be helpful information....
and Diyathalawa yet to be planned.....I will go trough your post. I have visited badulla once and visited majority of places but unfortunately no photographs  Sad Sad
Anyway thank you very much as always
Ashan

Ashan253
Global Moderator

"Wild"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 07:55:51 AM »

Hi Priyanjan
Im planning the route from Kanday trough Hasalaka(I think the bus from Kandy takes that route) so Loggal Oya is out of the plan
* Rathna Ella is questionable
*Nagadeepa Wewa & Dageba will be fine
* Sora Bora wewa also I guess is in my plan
and yes threewheeler is a mode of travelling! Grin Grin
sorry for being non specific  Sad
any other suggestions???
Ashan

Sheham
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 12:03:28 PM »

Somewhere between Hasalaka/Mahiyanganaya & the 18 hairpin bends

Dear Priyanjan

I thought, there is only 17 now !!

Kind Regards
Sheham

Ashan253
Global Moderator

"Wild"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 08:58:02 PM »

Hi Priyanjan
author=Priyanjan link=topic=1302.msg6558#msg6558 date=1267545117]
From Kandy, Mahiyanganaya could either be reached through Hasalaka (Hunnsagiriya road) or through Loggaloya (That's the 'Raja Mawatha' that goes past Randenigala, Rantembe & Loggaloya).
are there buses to Mahiyangana on both routes?HuhHuhHuhHuh? Huh

While at Mahiyangana;
a.     Sorabora Wewa will be an easy option as it's not too far from town. Agreed
b.     To get to Nagadeepa Wewa and temple the best would be to take a bus that's heading to Bibile (through Andaulpotha junction which is approximately 18km from Mahiyanganaya). The turn off to Nagadeepa Wewa is to your left about a km passing the Andaulpotha junction. From there you will have to 'catch' a 3 wheeler. Further ahead along the Bibile road is a place called Uraniya which is approximately 21 km from Mahiyanganaya. From Uraniya too there is a road that connects to the viharaya but sometimes is impassable. thanks alot for the details

The Mahiyangana - Badulla road runs along (actually 'on') the bund of the Loggaloya Reservoir. Badulla is about 2 hours (or sometimes less  Grin) away from Mahiyangana.
since im going to reach Monaragala, is this the route im supposed to take?
Somewhere between Hasalaka/Mahiyanganaya & the 18 hairpin bends is a place called 'Sitha Kotuwa' that has some ruins and is connected to the Rama-Rawana legend. I have not been there but, can find the details of the place & route if you are interested.
I will try and get to that place too! Grin Grin Grin
and regarding
Kanda pahath karalada? Wangu kelin karalada? Ehema neth nam; Wanguwa wikunalada?
I think the most suitable answer in Sri Lanka will be Wanguwa wikunala Grin Grin Grin Grin

Ashan

Sheham
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 09:11:43 PM »

Dear Priyanjan & Ashan

Guy's this what I heard, the last hairpin bend is no more (may be they straightened! Roll Eyes) may be I am altogether wrong with the "18 wanguwa" thing  Grin Grin. I thought there is only 1 of "18 wanguwa" is SL....

Please update on this , curious to know.

Thanks & Kind Regards
Sheham
Sheham
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 12:54:59 AM »

Dear Priyanjan

Thanks

Cheesy

will see really how many are there... Huh

Kind Regards
Sheham
dhkularatne
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 12:58:02 AM »

Yes now 17,Ekak diga arala. Grin Grin-dhk.
Sheham
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 01:01:14 AM »

Thanks dhk...... (for a moment the speculation was....  Grin Grin, "some one has sold one".. Grin Grin)
Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists

Tags: Mahiyanganaya | Monaragala | 
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: