Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: New/ Used Camera equipment shops in Sri Lanka around Colombo  (Read 32493 times)
jaliyaj

View Profile WWW
« on: February 09, 2010, 10:49:28 PM »

Hi all,

I bought me a Nikon d5000 with a nikkor 55-200 VR lens from the US. However, because this the first DSLR I've ever owned, I now realise that 55 is not wide enough for most photography. I need a new wide lens and I need somewhere to buy it from.

I know the agents (phototechnica/nikon, browns/olympus, siedles/sony, softlogic/casio and metropolitans/canon) sell lenses but the prices are too high for me - a nikon 35mm prime which sells for $199 in the us is LKR49,000 at phototechnica.

1) are there other people or shops that sell new or used equipment in Sri Lanka around Colombo? Even used is fine - I don't mind manually focussing and not shaking too much  Smiley

2) I found this gentleman on Facebook http://apps.facebook.com/marketplace/view/-/1794569279/?cat=sale%2Fother - gamage 0777197310 kiribathgoda - who sells Nikon and Nikon compatible lenses and equipment. Has anyone bought anything from him and if so how was it?

My reviews, photos and videos of hotels and all kinds of restaurants in Sri Lanka - http://lankareviewed.blogspot.com
Sheham
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 10:04:32 PM »

Hi,

I had called him few years back to get some thing, his time frame was a bit difficult for me..( before 7.30 a.m. & after 6.p.m.) therefor did not go ahead, instead I went to the agents.

There is supposed to be a shop in Prince Street, Colombo-11 near the Museum, ( I have not been there) they sell/buy used cameras & equipment. I too have a requirement to go there (to sell my film roll cameras) , I can find out name, contact numbers and update the forum.

Sheham
Priyanjan
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 11:54:21 PM »

Hello Sheham,

I can find out name, contact numbers and update the forum.

That will be a very nice thing to do. I too have a couple of film roll cameras that need to be got rid of. Almost antique!

Looking forward for the details; no hurry though.

Best Regards,

Priyanjan.

Sheham
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 12:44:13 AM »

Dear Priyanjan,

Yes, I will surely do that. It has to be during the course of next week.

Kind Regards/Sheham
jaliyaj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 04:55:18 AM »

Orient Electronics, Handala, Wattala (Tel:0112934846, go on Negombo road just past Toyota Lanka in Wattala and turn left onto Nayakakanda Rd) has flash guns - apparently even LKR 300,000 ones - and tripods from LKR 2,500 up but no lenses!

My reviews, photos and videos of hotels and all kinds of restaurants in Sri Lanka - http://lankareviewed.blogspot.com
Priyanjan
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 05:49:40 AM »

Hello Jaliya,

Do they buy old cameras?

Thanks & Best Regards,

Priyanjan.
jaliyaj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 04:40:13 PM »

Camera Equipment Trip Report!

Phototechnica (Nikon Agents in Sri Lanka, +94 11 257 7877)

“Hello?”
“Nikon 18-55 lens ekak kiyada?”
“Ey lenses api vikunan nehe. Camera eka ekka enawa ne.”
“Prime lens ekak kiyada? Nikon 35mm F/1.8G wage?”
“49,000”
<thud>
<click>
<ambulance siren>

Majestic City

So, from the hospital, I began my quest for an 18-anything Nikkor lens for my Nikon D5000 at Majestic City.

Panama Traders I heard was a good place. Went there to find it closed with a police officer sitting in front of it. I was wondering if I should ask him about Nikon lenses but I thought better not. Turns out the owner of Panama Traders has been doing some desha drohi stuff (http://www.thebottomline.lk/2009/05/27/defence_col.htm) and that’s why it’s sealed.

Pettah

LKR 12 got me from MC to Pettah. I immediately went to Prince St which, surprisingly enough, is not a camera street. I mean, you know how 2nd cross is all sari shops. Prince St had just two camera-ish shops.

First shop was Henry Munasinghe, 31 Prince St, Colombo 11 - +94 11 2446613. I was immediately disappointed. The dust on the cameras here must have dated back to the Central Bank bombing. They have a lot of flash guns and tripods but that’s all they have. Oh, and some really old film cameras.

They sent me down the street to Reco-ma Photo Tech, 67 Prince St, Colombo 11, +94 11 2424554, +94 11 5646277, which was more promising with some newer cameras/lenses in stock. They had an NIKKOR 18-55 VR for LKR 23,000 (used probably but man swore it was new) with a bulls*** “1 year warranty” (have you ever tried to make a claim on a warranty from a Pettah shop?)

After there, I wandered around on Front St/Malwatte Rd and I found the Batik Center camera shop – no, I’m not kidding, it’s really called Batik Centre – at P29, Front St/Malwatte Rd, Colombo 11 where the guy told me he’d give me an Nikon 18-55 VR for LKR 17,000 without a warranty. At least, he’s honest.

PS: I also found this camera repair shop called Nelson’s off Malwatte Rd where they repair manual cameras and also have a huge stock of antique cameras - the owner says some are 100+ years old!

PPS: I also bought a brown plastic lime squeezer for LKR 50.

Kiribathgoda

Mr Gamage (0777 197310) advertises in the Hit Ad and in the paper. You can call him and find out when he is available.

I drove bleary eyed on the Kandy Rd past Kelaniya Campus to St Jude Mw on your left. Go down and you come to a little junction with a signboard for 87/1 pointing right. Turn right and go down and his house is number 87 – it’s still being built, it seems.

Mr G – in operation he says for the last 20 years - has a number of used lenses which he says are imported from Australia. He also has tripods and filters. I was keen on the Sigma 18-50 DC (no Optical Stabilisation) for LKR 23,000, the Sigma 18-125 DC (no Optical Stabilisation) for LKR 27,000 and the Nikon NIKKOR 18-135 (no VR) which he said would be around LKR 36,000.

He let me try both out and, as I am a first time DSLRer, gave me some tips about how to hold the camera and how to store it, etc.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 09:49:29 AM by jaliyaj » Logged

Priyanjan
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 09:19:29 AM »

Hello Jaliya,

SUPER report. Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy

Please do post more..

By the way... the 50 bucks lime squeezer... I hope it's working well. Tell us about is sometime... Grin

Best Regards,

Priyanjan
fanro
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 08:18:02 PM »

Hello Jaliya,
Nice trip report  Grin Grin Grin. Enjoyed a lot. As Priyanjan said please do post more (No matter if it is your shopping tour or a "elawalu ganna polata giya gamanak") ha ha.. Congrags... on your presentation skills..
Rohan
Sheham
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 09:56:46 PM »

Hi Jaliya

Super!!. Good reporting with pictures!. Thanks. I was to go to prince street to get more info, but you have done the needful  Smiley.

Kind Regards
Sheham
Aravindar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 02:36:54 AM »

Hey Guys,
"Kiribathgoda

Mr Gamage (0777 197310)"

I know him for about nearly 2 year cos of camera stuff, his got good stuff which well taken care of, got some flash guns, still working properly.

Aravinda
Sheham
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 03:17:36 AM »

Good, we have 1 positive comment.

Thanks/ Sheham
dulip

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 02:29:03 AM »

Hi Jaliya

Thanks for the report. very informative, and HIGHLY enjoyable.

Aravindar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 04:30:21 AM »

Hi All,

Got CF Kingston 4GB Memory card from Reco-ma, perfect ! it works better than my Sandisk 2GB U II and old Kingston Elite Pro 2 GB,

Thanks

Aravinda.
Ashan253
Global Moderator

"Wild"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 07:18:50 AM »

Hi All

have look at this tread also...
http://www.lakdasun.com/forum/index.php?topic=1386.msg7160#new

Ashan

“"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet
and the wind longs to play with your hair."
Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists

Tags: Camera Sales | 
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: