Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists
June 25, 2017, 10:07:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Lakdasun forum has changed its face! Spend few minutes to get yourself familiar with the new look.

Home   Forum Home   Help Search Tags Login Register Email Admin  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Fishing Huts - Poor facilities and environmentally irresponsible  (Read 12806 times)
weli
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: September 28, 2009, 11:45:49 AM »

Hope they will really add some value to the high rate they charge.

I don't hesitate to state that we were disappointed with the way the things went on, when we visited this place in last February.
We didn't expect star level facilities; however, the basics should be in order for the visitors who pay the full amount before visiting there.

Weli
Bushana
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 08:11:52 PM »

Hi all
Last month I too had a one night visit to Fishing hut and I too agree with Weli regarding facilities and also need to highlight way of their garbage management. Except beautiful environment other facilities are the worst I have ever encountered in such a place.  We are not expecting star class facilities from an eco lodge like fishing hut but at least they must provide us clean mattresses, toilets and such things. Most unfortunate thing I have seen is their garbage handling. In the morning I had a bird watching tour along river bank and lot of plastic bottles, broken glass bottles and shopping bags were every where. More than 100 plastic bottles were seen collected near hut no 2 (Don't know whether they would move them to some other place later on but there is high chance of ending them up in river bed with monsoon rains).  Few kilometers along Baththalu oya is the only place on earth where endangered and endemic toad Adenomus dasi (http://amphibiaweb.org/cgi-bin/amphib_query?query_src=aw_lists_genera_&table=amphib&where-genus=Adenomus&where-species=dasi) is still inhabiting and don't know management of Fishing hut is aware of this? Otherwise they would not let this place to be polluted like this if they have bit concern regarding protecting such a valuable environment.  Not only that I have observed more than 8 different species of frogs and some of those philautus(shrub frogs) species might be new to scientific world since those are not possible of identifying with existing keys( Subject to change because I have only tried to identify them with photographs I have taken and which is not the best way of identifying shrub frogs since color variations can be occurred accordingly to micro environment). However what I need to emphasize is value of this place with respect to bio diversity aspect and need of paying more attention toward conserving it. Since this area does not come under wild life conservation department it is the duty of Maskeliya plantation management. Hope they would consider about this as well while renovating .

Bushana

Explore the rich and unique biodiversity and heritage of the Sri Lanka - Visit http://biodiversityofsrilanka.blogspot.com & http://trisinhala.blogspot.com/
lakdasun
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 09:55:01 AM »

Thanks a lot weli and Bushana.

We will bring this to the notice of the plantation management. We will also link this thread with the post we have in the attractions section of the main site so that the potential visitors also get to know about these issues and intern put some pressure on the management of the facility to get things sorted out. As a group we are in a stronger position to do that I guess.

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children
lakdasun
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 02:14:11 AM »

I'm sure they have improved the facilities.

What I'm not sure is whether they have corrected the irresponsible and harmful practices we have discussed here. We have brought the negative comments posted here to their notice. If you happen to visit the place please do take a bit of effort to see whether they have corrected the issues discussed here and please report back so that we can put more pressure if they are still damaging the environment.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 11:40:44 AM by lakdasun » Logged

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children
Kalith

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 02:28:01 AM »

Will definitely do that if i visit the place. Thanks for the info lakdasun Smiley
sandaruwan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 10:43:24 AM »

I was there on the 31st to the 3rd of Jan. We paid for 9 people i: e Rs8,000 for the hut which covers 6 people and a extra payment for the balance 3 people. When we checked from the Colombo office they confirmed that 9 could easily be accommodated. However at the huts it was a different story. There were only 5 beds and out of which 4 only had mattresses. We were given 4 pillows to share. The caretaker was helpless to assist. This is not luxury that we ask for but the basic for the price we paid for. If this was told to us we could have made alternative arrangements even after paying 8K.

The other hut was occupied by few foreigners and when we checked with them the situation was the same. Over promised under delivered.
There was only one caretaker for both the huts and he had to run from one kitchen to the other to do the cooking. Even though we never got our food at the time we wanted the efforts by the caretaker is commendable.

Continuing on the positive side toilets were clean and well maintained.  However other parts of the hut especially the waterfront platform needs a bit of mending. The garbage disposal is still questionable.

These are few things that we had to go through and hope itíll be helpful for future travelers when planing. The place is heavenly. Enjoy !!!
Mohammed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 11:16:24 AM »

Sounds familiar!

We had been there many visits but stopped going there since past three or so years a very tired of the "too rough for me" conditions, and poor service by cook/caretaker.

That said it is a beautiful location!

Mohammed
Bushana
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 08:52:54 PM »

Hi All
So it seems unfortunately the effort lakdasun has paid after comments on the place made by Weli and I, had not worked as we expected Sad Especially I am very much disappointed about garbage handling since it would be end up as extinction of one of rarest and endemic frog species from the world Sad(. We can refrain of visiting place if we consider of facilities they are providing, but who would take responsibility of environmental hazard?
/Bushana

Explore the rich and unique biodiversity and heritage of the Sri Lanka - Visit http://biodiversityofsrilanka.blogspot.com & http://trisinhala.blogspot.com/
lakdasun
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 08:23:08 AM »

sadly it hasn't been heard  Sad.

We have posted a note regarding this on the article we have on Lakdasun so they may feel some pressure going forward. Check - http://www.lakdasun.com/attractions/attraction-02-fishing-hut-muskeliya.htm

fanro
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 10:22:11 PM »

No. We must not discourage with there response. Actually we canít just let it out and go. Iím not talking about there business. They will pay the penalty for the way they cater (When the news spreads)  Undecided

As Bushana pointed out if there any pollution taking place, we have to some how stop that because the valuable environment is not there private property.

Dear admin, your effort is priceless and donít be discourage. We all with you and please push the maximum and get the thing done for the Mother Nature. Prove a value of our forum. (We have given them a remarkable publicity. For the marketing campaign we are asking a small favor) Grin

As we all know Maskeliya Plantation as a bench mark company of the country, will not want to ruin there goodwill from a small thing like this. Try to contact the higher management. As my experience, these plantation people are very proud and always maintain there qualities.

Rohan
rmtrbk

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 09:48:43 PM »

I went to FH last Thursday (14.01.2010) and stayed there for a night. We were a bit frustrated on facilities they provided for the amount we paid them. We went there as a result of a pretty high recommendation done by a group of friends who went there around some 5-6 years back. Although we were prepared to accept basic facilities we could not justify the status of some of the facilities.

When planning our FH trip I used details provided by Lakdasun extensively. Information shared here was very valuable throughout the whole trip. So, after returning I thought I should surf here to see whether a few mishaps we faced are logged in Lakdasun by any chance and finally found this thread. I thought of putting some update in this thread.

1) Care taking was good. There were 3 in the evening of our arrival to handle our baggage. All 3 quickly prepared us tea and our dinner. That was impressive and cooking was good too. In the second day also, he did his job impressively.

2) We were totally frustrated with the condition of pillows and mattresses. Pillows were as dirty as something could ever be. We had to put them aside and sleep without pillows. We could not make our minds up to put our covers on them. The beds had a slight slant. Without pillows we felt it pretty strongly. Anyhow it caused many disturbances to our sleep with many neck injuries and back pains throughout the night. There were not enough pillows for 6 people. If the management told us the real situation we could have brought pillows as well.

3) Bathrooms were ok. Even though they were basic, they were clean and usable. But we faced a noticeable hardship. They had no hook or what so ever to help hanging up clothes inside the bathroom.

4) Garbage handling was quite good. Except for an odd plastic bottle left at some hardly seen location, we did not notice nature being harmed by visitors. A considerable number of garbage collecting baskets were hanging on occupied areas.

5) Although management markets the place saying rafting is possible with a barrel-raft, we found it in pieces. So, there was no rafting for us. There was a tube but that also did not have enough air.

6) We felt, if there had been a small table like thing in the rooms, it would have been better to keep out small stuff which we carry. But this is not a must. Could have been a nice to have feature.

7) The morning scenic beauty and the breathtaking surrounding made the place worthwhile traveling. The huts are a bit older now. But still they are still fair for staying. The place was extremely relaxing and we enjoyed the place among the above mentioned scarcities.

We mentioned most of these in their feedback form. Hope they would take the feed backs more seriously and make it a better destination.

fanro
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 03:06:34 AM »

Dear rmtrbk,
Thank you for the updates. Yes, at least we can appreciate that they have improved there garbage handling according to your post. It is some thing we can be happy (and take positively )

Rohan
prasitha

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 08:28:28 AM »

I saw a notice in Lukdasun that the Fishing Huts were closed for some renovation during last few months, haven't they upgraded the facilities there after that?
Namal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 01:51:22 AM »

this is a real drinking spot. SO expect to share with loud locals. Unless u book the entire place off. Even then u get day visitors

Enjoy nature while you still can, it's not going to be there forever.
www.zero3images.com
ErandaWijewickrama

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 12:35:42 AM »

Me and my friends went to fishing huts on the 30th and 31st of January 2011. Although we have been interested in going to the place for sometime, we were a bit skeptical about the place because of the information in this post about the poor environmental conditions. But we decided to go on regardless (thanks to the update by rmtrbk), and were really relived to find the place in really good condition. Except for a few wrappers (that we saw after some searching done especially because of this post) the place was really well maintained. There were some boards also in place to deter any prospective polluters.

I see the concerns raised here have had a positive effect in upgrading the standards. The toilets and the rooms were in good order and the meals were prepared well. There were two rooms with five beds and all of them had mattresses and pillows (if you are really concerned about hygiene I'd suggest you'll take your own pillow cases at-least) . We stayed only at hut 1 so I can't vouch for hut 2. But when we had a look around Hut 2 it also looked to be in good order. A slight let down was that the raft (pictured in the attractions guide) was not there. But we did manage to buildup a raft using two barrels that were there.

Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists

Tags: Fishing Huts | 
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: