Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists
September 25, 2017, 08:00:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Lakdasun forum has changed its face! Spend few minutes to get yourself familiar with the new look.

Home   Forum Home   Help Search Tags Login Register Email Admin  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Deniyaya (Hathmale falls, Pitadeniya, Pathanoya falls and scenic Buluthota hills  (Read 2483 times)
lakdasun
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: December 31, 2009, 08:00:11 PM »

A two years old trip report  Wink

find it at - http://trips.lakdasun.com/deniyaya-hathmale-pitadeniya-pathanoya-buluthota-hills.htm
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 02:38:04 AM by lakdasun » Logged

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children
Ashan253
Global Moderator

"Wild"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 09:07:34 PM »

Mithila

Hathmale Ella seems a wonderful waterfall, all the photographs I have seen of this waterfall were fantastic, I can imagine the beauty seen by the naked eye! the waterfall looks more nice because you have captured it in low shutter speed.

Ashan

ď"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet
and the wind longs to play with your hair."
Harien de Mel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 05:24:40 AM »

During our last trip to Sinharaja, we spent two nights at the Pitadeniya camp site. After reading this trip report, I was so excited to try out the 10km jeep track. However, when we went there only we realized that the road is under construction and can not be used - they are laying concrete. Good for the village, but I was hart broken as I missed the opportunity to have some fun with a serious off-road Sad So we decided to take the alternative path. However, as our BJ43 runs 12.5 tires, I had doubts whether the bridge on that road is wide enough for it...

Just before the bridge, there was a 'kada mandiya' and I just through of asking for an alternative route - of cause I was so desperate. Initially, they said there's none but when I was asking how the tractors are managing and all that, they said the path just by the 'kade' leads to the original road I was going to take (the jeep track Mithila describes in the report). Needless to say, I was over the moon Cheesy.

Unfortunately, I couldn't measure the exact distance, but my feeling is we traveled about 3km before reaching the original track. This alternative path is much worse than the original track as most of it has no rocks at all but just soft soil. After some rain it was really sticky and had two deeply caved 'kanu' because of tractor tires. Once one side of the rear axle got stuck deeply in mud and we had to lift the vehicle to get it out as we couldn't winch. After that, we decided to reduce air pressure considerably to increase tire footprints.

A guy we met on the road told us that it's been four years since any vehicle other than a tractor has been drove on that road... may be it was Mithila who was before. After falling on to the original track, we met quite a few tractors at four locations during the journey and they were really corporative and encouraging too saying 'road ahead is not as difficult as passed' (even though we didn't really see much of a difference). As we had time on our side, we spent time taking to quite a few people we met on the road and they were very nice to us and pleasing to see visitors. All and all, it was such an unforgettable experience.

fanro
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 01:13:06 AM »

Dear Harien,
It is interesting to read your post. Yes, good presentation skills  Grin Grin Grin..  Would like to hear more from your adventure. I'm sure you must have taken nice photographs as well.. Why donít you prepare a trip report??

Rohan
Sheham
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 01:27:37 AM »

Hi Haren

A guy we met on the road told us that it's been four years since any vehicle other than a tractor has been drove on that road...

a great feat of achievement!, Good Luck!

Kind Regards
Sheham
Harien de Mel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 02:00:40 AM »

Dear Harien,
It is interesting to read your post. Yes, good presentation skills  Grin Grin Grin..  Would like to hear more from your adventure. I'm sure you must have taken nice photographs as well.. Why donít you prepare a trip report??

Rohan

Thanks for the compliment. I wasn't planning to do a report on this trip as there are several related to this area available already. Therefore, I don't have all the information that I would like to have tracked down. However, the admin has already made a request that I couldn't resist - so I'll be doing a report Smiley
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 02:02:43 AM by Harien de Mel » Logged

Harien de Mel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 02:04:45 AM »

a great feat of achievement!, Good Luck!

Yes it was, thanks a lot Smiley

lakdasun
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 09:08:36 AM »

I wasn't planning to do a report on this trip as there are several related to this area available already. Therefore, I don't have all the information that I would like to have tracked down. However, the admin has already made a request that I couldn't resist - so I'll be doing a report Smiley

Thanks Harien, that would be fantastic  Smiley

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children
Harien de Mel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 09:18:41 AM »

I should be thankful to you guys for doing such a wonderful job with this site!

Harien de Mel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 06:45:58 PM »

Trip report can be found at http://trips.lakdasun.org/sinharaja-by-south-east.htm

Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists

Tags: Deniyaya | Pitadeniya | Mederipitiya | buluthota | Rakwana | 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: