Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Kataragama - Buttala route other places to visit?  (Read 5603 times)
NG
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2009, 03:27:00 AM »

HI,
1. Planning to go to Kataragama and then to Buttala on the 'old Buttala road' Hope to cut across to Handapanaagala without going to BUttala - not sure if this is possible - but it is possible according to the map,,,with a 4 WD i think. Think we have to cut through the sugar plantations along the Colony roads...any ideas?

2. Can some one tell me if they have any ideas about less well known places around kataragama?
have you been to Nandimitra Dagaba? marked in the map on the way to Situlpahuwa...? anything else that is accessible? there are a number of places marked in the map but all inside Yala, assume you can't just wander in.
saw the post on Weheragala and the blog report...think we will try that as well.

3. Also any interesting places on the Kataragama - Buttala road? We've done all (!   Smiley ) the conventional sites around Buttala - any off the track ones? It does not have to be a major site.
heard there is a good bathing spot some where before Buttala on this road not sure where!

Any info welcome!
N
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 10:21:29 PM by NG » Logged
Priyanjan
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 02:32:22 AM »

Hello NG,

Firstly, I have not crossed over to Handapangala area from the Buttala-Katharagama road by vehicle. Yet, I have heard that there are only a few places that have bridges (probably Sapaththu Paalam) over the Menik Ganga & Kuda Oya and I am not aware as to where they are located at. What is the map you are using? Lots of changes have happened in the area and they may not be included / shown in the map. Google Earth has fairly new images and would be the best reference for the time being.

It's always good to check the water levels of the Menik Ganga & Kuda Oya. Heavy rains upstream would prevent any type of vehicle crossing over.

The road network within the sugarcane plantation is a maze. 'Uncle bearing' (invented by you) will be most helpful. BUT, it would be really worth to plan out your route on GE as there will be lots of uncles, each with a different opinion!  Cheesy

Regarding places to visit. There is a place marked on the map (within the area that is now the sugarcane plantation) named 'Komarikagala'. It's supposed to have some caves & ruins. Komarikagala was easy to find but we could not find the ruins.

Then, I had read 'somewhere' that there was some sort of inscription / memorial just a few meters into the jungle at Galge (Buttala-Katharagama road). The military guys there did not allow me to go into the jungle when I attempted to do so (may be an year or so back).

Weheragala is also a 'new' option.

Best Regards,

Priyanjan.
Yohan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 06:24:51 AM »

Hello NG and Priyanjan,

Yes. U can turn to the Weheragla at Galge junction (kataragama-Buththala road). then U can visit the Lunugamwehera park and yala block 5. and also weheragala reservoir. Its best place to bird waching. and also evening time can see the beautiful seenaries. check this also  http://www.lakdasun.com/forum/index.php?topic=762.0. thanks...

Yohan...

YOHAN AKALANKA
UOM
Priyanjan
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 06:43:52 AM »

Hello Yohan,

Please tell me the condition of the road leading to the Dam (Weheragala Reservoir) from the main road. Is a permit required? If so where could it be obtained from? Is walking up to the dam allowed?

Thanks in advance & Best Regards,

Priyanjan.
sanath

I'm Sanath

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 08:34:38 PM »

Hi yohan,

i need to know , can we go to Weheragala reservoir and other places around the area by public tranport(bus) from katharagama town? if can pls give me the more details(such as distance, permit requirement, time from katharagama )
tks & Rgds/sanath
Yohan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 08:44:46 PM »

Hi priyanjan,
Road conditon is good. but its a gavel road. its good for any type vehacle. Yes, permit required. U need to give ur detais for The military guys at Galge entrance. You can go to the Weerawila - Wallawaya (A2) road using this gavel road. yes u can walking up to the dam. its also have wildlife bunglow. thanks....

* n504064975_3168893_6762021.jpg (66.64 KB, 604x453 - viewed 55 times.)

* n504064975_3168879_1710829.jpg (53.12 KB, 604x453 - viewed 56 times.)

YOHAN AKALANKA
UOM
NG
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 08:54:02 PM »

Thanks, Yohan for the information. I read your previous post as well as the blog link but could not quite confrim on the map how to get there. Galage junction is there on the Kataragama / Buttala 1:50,000 so now we can find it. Also thanks a lot for the info on permits. I assume we don't need to do anyting before hand, just get permission there.
Does the same apply to seeing the Galge?

Priyanjan, as mentioned above, I looked at the 1:50,000 sheets of Buttala. and yes, saw Komarikagala marked and was hoping to find something interesting there...
Also, there are two more sites marked but not named in the middle of the sugar cane? (yellow) diagonally above closer to Buttal road ( sorry don't have the map with me at teh moment to give the cordinates). Did you explore these as well? found anything?

Has anyone been to Nandamitra dagaba?

N
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 08:55:38 PM by NG » Logged
Priyanjan
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 09:42:17 PM »

Hello Yohan,

Thanks a lot for the information.

Best Regards,

Priyanjan.
Priyanjan
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 10:10:45 PM »

Hello NG,

No, I have not been to the other sites that are marked on the map.

Also, apart from what you have mentioned, there are also a few more places marked (on the map with the symbol representating historical sites) and one such place named 'Kukuluwa Vihara' is marked just above 'Komarikagala'.

Ah! I just remembered that there are a couple of holiday homes that belong to Pelawatta Sugar Co. (what ever).

Best Regards,

Priyanjan.
Yohan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 01:24:01 AM »

hello sanath,
Can't sanath. you can't reached to the weheragala reservoir using public transport. but u can reached to the Galge junction using public transporrt (Katharagama - Buththala bus). distance near to 20kms from katharagama to galge. 30mins - 45mins of time u can reached to the Galge junction from ktharagama.

Yohan...

YOHAN AKALANKA
UOM
NG
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 02:09:24 AM »

Galge. By the road to Kataragama within the YNP. There is supposed to be a ‘memorial’ for somebody by the name of Mr. J.P. Arson (I guess he was an official of the Survey Dept) a few meters in to the jungle.

Thanks for the above, Priyanjan. I was not quite sure what to look for at "galge'

http://www.lakdasun.com/forum/index.php?topic=244.msg753#msg753
GonaganAra described in the above post sounds very nice, assume it is now safe to visit.
Priyanjan
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 04:25:07 AM »

Hello NG,

Phew! I went through several books in desperation 'looking' for the details of that 'memorial' at Galge. Couldn't find it.  I didn't remember that it was here in one of the earlier posts. Thanks for the reference.

Anyway, going by the name 'Galge', I am pretty sure that there must be more that is connected to this place unless of-course some of our country men have removed what ever there was for 'safe keeping'!

Yes, Gonaganara was a very nice place that we used to camp at. Watching the brainy elephants at work (crossing the electrical fence) was also very interesting. Yes, it should be safe now.

Just one more thing, if you are using a 1;50,000 (scale) map for reference, please be aware that I have not come across / seen a bridge at the place where the two rivers meet (and marked as DEMODARA ) as is shown on the map, unless they have built one sometime during the course of the last 3 years. Thought you would like to know as you are planning to cross over to the sugar cane plantation.

Best Regards,

Priyanjan.
NG
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 02:16:54 AM »

Hi all,
A quick report back..

We stayed at Kataragama in a house on small lane between the Udagama road and the old road, seems a lot of houses take guest when the hotels get booked up.

Did the Kataragama - Old Buttala road run...Fabulous!! So green ! The clearing created for security purposes actually gives it a very unusual look, and managed to find the Galge Memorial.
Priyanjan - It seems to be a memorial to a 'sportsman' ie hunter...not an official. Also did Veheragala, once again very lovely. Lots of elephents. Road condition - very good. They are rebuilding the bridge near Sella Kataragama, and a bit of a vehicle pile up there.

Did not have time to explore the BUttala end of the road. So have to go back!

So thank you to all those who gave information!
N
Priyanjan
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 04:53:11 AM »

Hello NG,

Was it required to get permission from the Army guys at Galge in order to see the memorial?

Best Regards,

Priyanjan.
NG
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 02:42:45 AM »

Only a friendly chat was needed. They were very nice, no issue. The area is within the camp, so you actually have to go through their barracks initially and then a little further on to climb to the high ground.  
I don't think this would have been possible a few months back.
N
Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists

Tags: Kataragama | Buttala | weheragala | Veheragala | 
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: