Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists
September 20, 2017, 01:14:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Lakdasun forum has changed its face! Spend few minutes to get yourself familiar with the new look.

Home   Forum Home   Help Search Tags Login Register Email Admin  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Sunday the 23rd November – Meet up at Muthurajawela Conservation Center  (Read 7810 times)
lakdasun
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: October 29, 2014, 09:10:49 AM »

Last week end we paid a visit to Muthurajawela conservation center (KML attached) and planned out our meet up.   (Thanks Thunuwan, Ashan and Sash)

It will be a full day event this time!

You are free to drop in at anytime and spend as much time as you wish to with fellow Lakdasun members and participate in the activities.

Broad plan for the day

8.00 a.m. to 1.00 p.m.  – Clean up Campaign – The conservation center management is doing a great job in keeping the waterways and the banks of the canal clean, despite loads of garbage the rain brings in and dumps in it.  We plan to spend the first half of the day helping them out
We will have groups of two deployed along the canal banks to collect floating debris. Those who turn up early can participate in this.

1.00 p.m. - Lunch

2.00 p.m.– 4.00 p.m. - chit-chat and fellowship

4.00p.m. – Those of you who like to take a birds watching boat trip in the sanctuary can do so at 4.00 p.m. The Muthurajawela center operates four boats and each one will cost about LKR 2000/=

Following is what we need for the event. If any one of you can sponsor something below please let us know (send a PM to admin). We will contact you to finalize.

For Cleaning Campaign

1. 20 pairs of rubber gloves (Done!)
2. 20 large garbage bags (Done!)
3. 40 nos – A4 size badges to be worn by the volunteers participating in the cleaning process so that the neighbors know what we are doing. (can be a simple printout pinned on shirt) (Done!)

If any one of you can contribute, here are few more things we can do to help them

4. Plant some “Kumbuk” Trees (or other indigenous species) – If some of you can find Suitable Plants (Kumbuk or others) we can plant them along the canal. - Done
5. Erect a sign board at Hamilton Canal Turn off – There is a sign board at the Pamunugama Road turnoff but there isn’t one at the last turn off at Hamilton Canal. This confused us as well when we went there last week end. Can someone volunteer to get this done? What they need is something similar to the sign board in the picture below. 2ft X 2ft, printed Plastic board erected on a GI tube will do the Job.

Directions to Muthurajawela Conservation Centre:
  • Reach Pamunugama town either via Negombo Rad or Katunayake Expressway (Ja-Ela interchange).
  • Drive 600m passing Pamunugama Junction and turn left (There is a sign board) – See Images below
  • Drive 300m and turn left at the bridge over canal (before crossing the bridge) - See Images below, no sign board. This is where we would like to   erect one. See (5) above.
  • Drive  250m to reach the MCC on the left hand side facing the canal.

KML attached.

Actions you need to take
  • We need to let them know the number of Pax for lunch in advance. Therefore please confirm your participation by responding to this thread before 21st November 2014. The day is open to all Lakdasun members, their like minded friends and family.
  • If you are willing to sponsor any one of the items above, please email (lakdasun@gmail.com) or PM admin.

* Pamunugama to MCC.kmz (2.48 KB - downloaded 11 times.)

* First Turn passing Pamunigama_a.JPG (78.22 KB, 600x450 - viewed 15 times.)

* First Turn passing Pamunigama_b.JPG (72.13 KB, 600x450 - viewed 12 times.)

* Sign board we would like to replicate at the Bridge.JPG (62.99 KB, 600x450 - viewed 17 times.)

* At the Bridge - Last Turn_a.JPG (72.02 KB, 600x450 - viewed 12 times.)

* At the Bridge - Last Turn_b.JPG (54.81 KB, 600x450 - viewed 14 times.)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 09:44:11 PM by lakdasun » Logged

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children
Chithranga

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 09:14:54 AM »

Any chance of some meeting up at one place and going there together? may be hire a bus or so
Ashan253
Global Moderator

"Wild"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 06:41:05 PM »

I'M COMING  Grin

“"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet
and the wind longs to play with your hair."
Sri Abeywickrema

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 07:04:02 PM »

Me too...

Tony

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 07:55:43 PM »

I am also coming....................

Be like a Human, act like a Human and die like a Human
Thinuwan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 08:20:39 PM »

I am coming! This time for sure  Grin

~~Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by what is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him??~~
Shafraz Khahir

I hate luxurious life

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 09:31:09 PM »

Me too.....(Some times i will bring my hiking team mates)  Smiley

Shafraz Khahir

I hate luxurious life

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 09:32:24 PM »

Admin,

Please update whether we need to bring any additional cloths for shiramadana ( as it mentioned to clean the debris in tunnel)

Sheham
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 12:05:27 AM »

I am waiting for this event !!!
Thinuwan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 12:21:57 AM »

Dear All,

As per to what the admin have stated note that the clean-up campaign will take place along the canal banks where, on a day with clear weather,  you will be exposed to the sun light directly.

Hence the below is recommended,
-   Cotton long sleeve tops (Unless you want a sun-tan  Grin)
-   A sun hat
-   A water bottle (with water  Wink)
-   Comfortable short / trouser to work under warm conditions

With regard to change of clothes, Yes, it will be the ideal move if you are taking part for the morning campaign.
However note that only very basic facilities are available at the site for a change / shower, which I believe won’t be a problem since we all are used to those “rough days”  Cool Grin

The above information is for your attention and should there be an amendment to what I have stated please do not hesitate to correct me!

Cheers!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 12:24:48 AM by Thinuwan » Logged

~~Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by what is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him??~~
Sheham
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 12:31:41 AM »

Any chance of some meeting up at one place and going there together? may be hire a bus or so

May be a good idea, BUT many of us come from different directions, hence a "CAR POOLING" might be more viable.
Ananda Welikala

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 12:31:15 AM »

Will a rake or long pole be required to fish out the floating plastic bags?  Huh

Note that some of the garbage will be floating in the canal and will boats be deployed to clean that stuff? Shocked

Ana
Ananda Welikala

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, 01:02:07 AM »

On this subject...

5. Erect a sign board at Hamilton Canal Turn off – There is a sign board at the Pamunugama Road turn-off but there isn't one at the last turn off at Hamilton Canal. This confused us as well when we went there last week end. Can someone volunteer to get this done? What they need is something similar to the sign board in the picture below. 2ft X 2ft, printed Plastic board erected on a GI tube will do the Job.

Is there a clearer shot of this board?

The words at the bottom cannot be deciphered. Note that the wording needs to be perfect and the distance to location will have to change.

Ana
Thinuwan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2014, 01:47:25 AM »

Hi Ana,

Will a rake or long pole be required to fish out the floating plastic bags?
We addressed this concern during our inspection visit and the Muthurajawela visitors center officials agreed to provide long poles for this.

And also there will be a boat dedicated for the campaign which will be the mode of transportation for the ones who are on the other side of the bank.
I guess we can utilize the same for picking the garbage which are not reachable by the long poles / sticks..

Cheers!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 01:50:39 AM by Thinuwan » Logged

Shareez

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2014, 07:32:51 AM »

Hi Guys !!!

A great initiative Admin and all of the members ... I have being keenly following on this topic ever since it started. Yet did not respond as till now I have no idea whether I can make it ... as few of our members knows that I live abroad. Anyways got my leave scheduled for November (till the date not confirm) ... I will be there for sure if I am in SL on 23rd as most importantly I have yet to meet personally any of you members except for good old Tonyka.

I would like to suggest a short video documentary on this prestige event. Maybe just for half an hour after editing. If any one or two can give a try. As I know Kasun, Sri and few others have done some excellent short video clips on so many things. Its just a little suggestion as it will be a unforgettable memorable event for all who will be attending. We can include in the documentary things such as how members are getting prepared, introducing them selves, a short story on their unforgettable hikes/trips and in the event itself ... and many more if possible ...

So again its just a suggestion and whether I make it or not wishing all the very best for all of you guys for a wonderful day out ..

Regards - Shareez
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 08:15:06 AM by Shareez » Logged

Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists

Tags: Lakdasun Gathering | 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: