Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists
June 24, 2018, 01:31:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Lakdasun forum has changed its face! Spend few minutes to get yourself familiar with the new look.

Home   Forum Home   Help Search Tags Login Register Email Admin  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Knuckles Hike  (Read 740 times)
lakdasun
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: September 21, 2014, 09:36:09 AM »

This trip report is now available in Lakdasun Trip Report archive at - http://trips.lakdasun.org/knuckles-hike.htm

Enjoy reading.. You can use this thread for comments and queries.

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children
Niroshan
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 06:00:54 PM »

Hi Shafraz,
Nice trip report. Enjoyed reading. Thanks for sharing with us.
BTW, few doubtful place: Knuckles range is belong to forest conservation department not to wild life department. If we have to get permission where we have to take it?
According to your description and my experience you have reached to 2nd peak of Knuckles mountain not to 3rd peak for my guess. On top of 2nd peak you have good camping place. You guys were lucky to have a nice surrounding view without obstructing by the mist.
BR
Niroshan
Tony

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 11:47:55 PM »

Hi Shafraz,

Nice trip report and the experience you had when you want to camp and the sudden rain to spoil your tent and make it wet  Shocked Angry Cry...... those are once in a while mrmorable experience for hikers.. if always weather god acts good with us it will prevent such wonderful experience.. isnt it?

Beautiful photos and the sunrise was wonderful.. agreed on Niroshans comments.

Cheers

Tony

Be like a Human, act like a Human and die like a Human
Sri Abeywickrema

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 12:06:35 AM »

Hi Shafraz
Great hike and as Niro pointed out, this permission thing is driving all of us crazy coz every time there's something different.
You talk to Deanston KCC and they insist no permission needed but people of Meemure say they are warned not to enter the forest without permission and the list goes on and on.
This is a very irregular and silly process on the Wildlife and Forest Department side. Why can't they enforce a common thing with ticketing offices in and around these trails without harassing us.
btw, did that person have an official ID on him? coz maybe there could be some crooks trying to pretend they're the FD or Wildlife officers trying to make some money.
Thanks for the report but it makes it all the more complicated travelling....
Cheers

Sheham
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 12:32:20 AM »

Nice hike guy's
Ashan253
Global Moderator

"Wild"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 04:09:35 AM »

hi guys
i have to agree with Niroshan. this belongs to forest department and no DWC member can ask permission from you guys. btw there is a place in bambarella where you could buy tickets..aw great adventure thanks for sharing this lovely report
rgds
A

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet
and the wind longs to play with your hair."
Malith Kumarasinghe

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 07:09:51 AM »

Hi Shafraz,

Great pics...enjoyed reading..... bwtn did you buy tickets on return....

Malith
Shafraz Khahir

I hate luxurious life

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 05:40:49 PM »

Hi all,

Thanks for your encouraging comments for the hike.

BTW i cannot recall correctly wheather he was from WLD or FCD. He didnot provide his ID as we didnt asked him. But he looks to be an officer and not from village. As Niroshan, Ashan, Sri and Tony suggests i have to correct it as FCD officer (to be honest, i came to know that knuckles comes under FCD after reading your commets only. Thanks for that)

When we were returning from same exit point we tried to find a person whom supposed to be issue tickets but we could not find them.

HARINDA

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 10:22:50 AM »

Hi Safraz

Adventurous hike . This refreshed my sweet memories too Smiley
http://trips.lakdasun.org/bambarella-to-thangappuwa-by-hiking-knuckles-peaks-exploring-alugallena.htm

But i feel really sad Sad and bit annoyed Angry with the circumstances you have faced

1. Bad weather - We had a perfect sunny weather ( btw we cant stop it Cool)

2. We didn't find any one blocking us like this ( we were camping at a well maintained campsite without permission )

I think this issue is getting aggravated day by day . As Nirop and Sri mentioned there are some contradiction among same fd officers Huh

for example when Niro and i wanted to explore Alugallaena we went to deanstan KCC first to take tickets as we were about to loiter in the forest.( we would have skipped it and go via Theldeniya - Rangala- Thangappuwa rout which is much shorter )

But Funny thing was the officer in KCC said we don't need tickets Tongue
This is pure mis-planning and harassing innocent travelers Angry
BTW you had done a great piece of work just to convince yourself rather than arguing Cool

So despite of these thing i hope you'd have enjoyed a great hike ( Knuckles is always a great hike )

Thanks for the share and the updating the current situations

HARI

The Way You Think, You Become
Amran Athas

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 03:10:50 PM »

Hi Shafraz,

Another great adventure from you guys...Nice pictures as well. I always wanted to do these peaks. I MUST find the time very soon for this.  Grin Grin Grin

Best regards,

Amran Athas

The earth has music for those who listen.
Lakdasun Forum - Online Home of Sri Lanka's Nature Lovers, Eco-Travelers and Conservationists

Tags: Knuckles | Bambarella | Thawalanthenna | 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: